Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Hello from GNHQ

(263 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

LilyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 05-Aug-21 14:41:14

Hi all

We think that it'd be good for us to get to know each other a bit more.

We at GNHQ are here to moderate the site, look after our users and ensure that Gransnet is an inclusive and supportive community. We're post-moderated, which means that we rely on reports to let us know what's going on. ​Our aim is to respond to every query we receive, so please don't be afraid to get in touch.

We're also keen to listen to feedback about site functionality, so tell us what you think - we'll always pass feedback on to the relevant team(s) for discussion, with the promise of making Gransnet better and more efficient for all users. If you've got any ideas for improvement then please share them below. Changes at the back end of the site do take time, but we're more than happy to keep you updated during the process.

Please feel free to introduce yourselves by replying below (or send us a hello privately via email/report if you prefer).

P.S Every time you hit the report button, an angel gets its wings (or a troll gets booted off site). <repeatedly clicks report button>

Galaxy Thu 05-Aug-21 16:14:14

I hate the idea of a like button.

Jaxjacky Thu 05-Aug-21 16:16:18

Not in favour of like/dislike either. But do agree with OP posts highlighted, edit function of post and improved search, preferably for posters ‘name’ or subject in date order of their postings.
Thank you for asking HQ.

Mapleleaf Thu 05-Aug-21 16:17:19

I agree with FarNorth about highlighting all the posts of the initial poster within a thread, as they do on mumsnet.

Bluebellwould Thu 05-Aug-21 16:18:24

Agree with ability to edit post after posting. Also highlight original posters responses.
I wonder if anyone would be interested in something like a pen pal section. There’s some posters I find interesting and I would like to converse with them outside of the topics posted.

granfromafar Thu 05-Aug-21 16:23:46

I want to ask about the 'I'm on' facility. How long do posts stay on this? Sometimes I don't post for a while but then want to check back on the last posts I commented on, but they are nowhere to be found

MerylStreep Thu 05-Aug-21 16:24:56

Bluebellwould
Why not drop those posters a PM. That’s how lots of us start an online friendship.

NanaandGrampy Thu 05-Aug-21 17:13:25

I must have my cynical hat on today because if I have seen this once from GNHQ I've seen it half a dozen times. Not only does nothing change but we rarely if ever get any feedback on suggestions.

So , maybe GNHQ could look back at all the other times they asked this question and update us on what became of all those suggestions?

BlueBelle Thu 05-Aug-21 17:30:29

I agree nanandgrampy we have been asked for ideas at least once a year if not more regularly we have pages and pages usually asking for the same few things then it goes very quiet and nothing more is heard
LilyGransnet
please answer this and yes we want very little

1 highlighting the original posters posts all through the thread
2 A five minute edit button
3 Better search facilities
4 Games in a separate place

That’s it simples

Galaxy Thu 05-Aug-21 17:33:09

I am not sure I want games in a separate area, I never play them by the way.

Galaxy Thu 05-Aug-21 17:35:01

And I would want to know a bit more about an edit button and how that works on other sites in terms of trolls and personal attacks.

Chestnut Thu 05-Aug-21 17:37:42

Should definitely move Games to its own tab at the top and not have it under the Forum. A forum is for discussion, and there would be more room to show discussions if there weren't all those flippin' games threads!
Games are games, they should not be on a discussion forum.

BlueBelle Thu 05-Aug-21 17:38:18

Why can’t they be separate if you don’t play them what difference would it make to you galaxy
When I opened my news feed the other day the first 15 threads were Games I don’t want to wade through them all to get to readable threads

Pittcity Thu 05-Aug-21 17:41:30

I always hide the games threads and anything I don't want to be involved with. That way I can see more of what I am interested in.
It's easy to do using the drop down menu top right.

Galaxy Thu 05-Aug-21 17:44:32

I dont like people being pushed into a little corner, it feels unfriendly. As someone mentioned just hide them or scroll past.

Chestnut Thu 05-Aug-21 17:50:36

Pittcity

I always hide the games threads and anything I don't want to be involved with. That way I can see more of what I am interested in.
It's easy to do using the drop down menu top right.

Sorry, that's just not true. There is no drop down menu and no way to hide them on a computer.

BlueBelle Thu 05-Aug-21 17:52:55

Sorry pittcity that is not how it is at all I m not at all sure what you mean but it isn’t possible to do that I m on an iPad and I have to do a complicated number of steps to hide each one and the next day they are all back !!

Calendargirl Thu 05-Aug-21 17:58:26

Hear hear for moving Games into a separate section.

BlueBelle Thu 05-Aug-21 18:03:37

galaxy no ones pushing anyone in a corner that’s such a strange remark if you want to go in for competitions you go to a different area I m sure they don’t all feel pushed in a corner

NotAGran55 Thu 05-Aug-21 18:04:49

The ability for the OP to close their thread would be great please .

Ellianne Thu 05-Aug-21 18:10:34

Can the news thread be separated from politics?
They are somewhat incompatible.

Silverbridge Thu 05-Aug-21 18:14:47

I would like to see discussions threaded within the thread instead of all posts being listed sequentially.

For example, here, people are remarking on editing, likes and games. If I want to comment about editing I can tag onto that group of posts. If I want to comment about likes, I can tag onto that group of posts and so on.

Also I would like to see a warning if someone has posted on a thread between me starting to type and posting a response. Something like "Three people have replied since you started typing your message. Would you like to review what you have written before posting? This might reduce the incidence of repetitive messages.

Seconded NotaGran55 suggestion to be able to close a thread.

Lastly, and this might be unpopular, but a day or two delay between joining GN and being able to join discussions. It would reduce the amount of spamming and may also reduce the number of essay-length dyfunctional family stories from one- off posters who are never heard from again.

These suggestions are all features on other discussion forums that seem to work well.

varian Thu 05-Aug-21 18:17:28

It would be good to have a search facility which enabled us to enter the name of a poster and see links to all their posts in reverse chronological order ~(ie most recent first)

Pittcity Thu 05-Aug-21 18:19:38

These are what I use to hide threads after I've opened them once.

Doodledog Thu 05-Aug-21 18:23:04

Galaxy

And I would want to know a bit more about an edit button and how that works on other sites in terms of trolls and personal attacks.

On some sites it is left to trust, but on others more like this one which is public and has lots of members there is a 5 minute window, so people can see their post and correct/adjust any errors or ambiguities.

On others you can edit until someone has replied, so that you can't edit to make their post seem silly.

There is usually a note at the bottom to say that a post has been edited and how often.

Harris27 Thu 05-Aug-21 18:32:53

I’ve found it a solace on some occasions and very supportive but other times a bit snobby and hurtful.