Gransnet forums

Site stuff

The influence of Gransnet Daily

(239 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Sun 19-Sep-21 13:19:36

It is an interesting phenomenon how the mention of a thread as the title feature of Gransnet Daily often results in a massive increase in posts to a thread.

For example, today the thread

www.gransnet.com/forums/relationships/1301027-How-is-a-mother-in-law-addressed

is the title feature and lots of new posts have appeared.

HurdyGurdy Sun 19-Sep-21 18:31:41

ixion

To prove or disprove your theory, EP, surely you need to know how many people are reading Gransnet Daily and responding to it/being influenced by it?

I would suggest not that many.

I'm one.

I read the thread titles on Gransnet Daily and click on one to get me to the site. Then I move on to the trending titles, and once I'm done with them, I move to active and see if anything else takes my fancy.

Without Gransnet Daily, I'd likely not visit the site.

LauraNorder Sun 19-Sep-21 18:34:24

Oo a fellow disrupter, it’s an exclusive club Jane.
FannyC has a certain fondness for us disrupters.

LauraNorder Sun 19-Sep-21 18:36:44

PS I don’t use gransnet daily.

Jaxjacky Sun 19-Sep-21 18:41:39

I deliberately don’t receive the email, I come on and have a look around.

BlueBelle Sun 19-Sep-21 19:23:55

I m never sign out so I just automatically look what the news feed says when I open it in the morning
Are you talking about the bit that says Latest on the right hand side or if not what are we talking about ?

JaneJudge Sun 19-Sep-21 19:26:40

LauraNorder

grin grin

Galaxy Sun 19-Sep-21 19:50:09

I think FannyC is also a disruptor but worries about it a bit, whereas you lot enjoy your disruptive behaviour smile

MerylStreep Sun 19-Sep-21 19:59:26

Can someone explain what Gransnet Daily is in words of one syllable please as I might nod off ?

Chewbacca Sun 19-Sep-21 20:02:08

Certainly Meryl .....

Boring wink

MayBeMaw Sun 19-Sep-21 20:07:43

ElderlyPerson

It is an interesting phenomenon how the mention of a thread as the title feature of Gransnet Daily often results in a massive increase in posts to a thread.

For example, today the thread

www.gransnet.com/forums/relationships/1301027-How-is-a-mother-in-law-addressed

is the title feature and lots of new posts have appeared.

It’s automatic or done by algorithm Elderly Person - no reflection on the thread! I have even seen them feature a spam thread- it happens when a thread’s “turn”comes round!

lemongrove Sun 19-Sep-21 20:12:34

Ooh...spam! Yum

muse Sun 19-Sep-21 20:12:48

MerylStreep

Can someone explain what Gransnet Daily is in words of one syllable please as I might nod off ?

Daily newsletter (email) you can sign up for.

I did do then cancelled it. I prefer to log on and look at what is trending or look at what's active.

MayBeMaw Sun 19-Sep-21 20:14:41

lemongrove

Ooh...spam! Yum

Spam fritters?

MerylStreep Sun 19-Sep-21 20:45:04

Those advertisers certainly know what I’m looking for.

www.shein.co.uk/Sports-Yoga-Fitness-Corset-p-2395135-cat-2172.html

Bobbysgirl19 Sun 19-Sep-21 21:29:29

Kim19

Goodness, this is complete gobbledygook to me.

You and me both!

MayBeMaw Sun 19-Sep-21 21:51:44

It is an interesting phenomenon how the mention of a thread as the title feature of Gransnet Daily often results in a massive increase in posts to a thread
Do you have evidence to back this up?
Just as one swallow does not make a summer, a perceived increase in posts on one thread does not prove the daily email from GN makes any difference. Have you checked the traffic on other threads and the timing of any similar effect?
Many people have said they do not get it or take no notice of it - so you are extrapolating from one thread (which you happen to have started).
So is it a phenomenon st all?

JaneJudge Sun 19-Sep-21 22:10:45

Galaxy

I think FannyC is also a disruptor but worries about it a bit, whereas you lot enjoy your disruptive behaviour smile

shock shock

ElderlyPerson Mon 20-Sep-21 00:14:40

MayBeMaw

It is an interesting phenomenon how the mention of a thread as the title feature of Gransnet Daily often results in a massive increase in posts to a thread
Do you have evidence to back this up?
Just as one swallow does not make a summer, a perceived increase in posts on one thread does not prove the daily email from GN makes any difference. Have you checked the traffic on other threads and the timing of any similar effect?
Many people have said they do not get it or take no notice of it - so you are extrapolating from one thread (which you happen to have started).
So is it a phenomenon st all?

On Sunday 12 September 2021 I had a look on Gransnet and noticed a sort of surge of posts on the thread about tall people being informed of their tallness. I wondered if the thread had hit the Gransnet Daily jackpot, and upon looking at my emails, I found it had.

Today I happened to look at my emails before looking at Gransnet and I noticed that a thread that I had started had hit the jackpot. When I looked at the thread in Gransnet there were lots of extra posts in the thread, all from today.

Sort of like the Delia effect.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delia_Smith#The_%22Delia_effect%22

So it has happened twice, both on a Sunday.

Here are links to a song about something supposed to have happened on a Sunday, but might be fictional.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g6bQ6Jug5I

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpExSfX8Tmk

Searching for the lyrics leads to a page where the opportunity to translate to English is presented.

welbeck Mon 20-Sep-21 02:22:13

do you want a gong, EP ?

Silverbridge Mon 20-Sep-21 02:41:24

What jackpot? There’s no prize.

There is also a phenomenon on GN and other social media sites where a hundred people feel obliged to say pretty much the same thing about something that the previous hundred people have already said. It’s tedious repetition rather than the development of discussion.

What’s concerning me is that you almost always use the threads you start (and have even started some specifically) to promote links to a certain socal media platform owned by a US tech company. Is this why you keep drawing attention to yourself? Maybe your jackpot is a nice line in sponsorship? It’s tantamount to spamming. Please stop.

nanna8 Mon 20-Sep-21 03:16:01

I don’t get gransnet daily because the thought of getting something every day appals me. I stupidly signed up for an over 60 s thing which appears all the time and now goes straight to junk mail. Too much.

FannyCornforth Mon 20-Sep-21 06:57:15

LauraNorder

That’s true!
So far, it’s just a select group of two, you and Jane. A brace of disrupters smile

FannyCornforth Mon 20-Sep-21 06:59:43

Galaxy that’s very perceptive.
I hadn’t thought about that, but you could be right.
You’ve definitely got a whiff of it about you too, mind you…

Galaxy Mon 20-Sep-21 07:01:18

grin

FannyCornforth Mon 20-Sep-21 07:01:43

Yes, what ‘jackpot’?