Gransnet forums

Site stuff

The influence of Gransnet Daily

(238 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Sun 19-Sep-21 13:19:36

It is an interesting phenomenon how the mention of a thread as the title feature of Gransnet Daily often results in a massive increase in posts to a thread.

For example, today the thread

www.gransnet.com/forums/relationships/1301027-How-is-a-mother-in-law-addressed

is the title feature and lots of new posts have appeared.

FannyCornforth Sun 19-Sep-21 14:50:01

Congratulations EP ?
It’s how advertising works smile

FannyCornforth Sun 19-Sep-21 14:51:21

And you’ve started a thread, linking to your own thread! That’s a first!

kittylester Sun 19-Sep-21 15:06:30

So, is this a thread about a thread?

FannyCornforth Sun 19-Sep-21 15:12:22

Perhaps I could start a thread about this thread?
ATAATAAT?

ElderlyPerson Sun 19-Sep-21 15:12:48

No, it is a thread about the effect of a thread being given headline treatment in Gransnet daily.

So if

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1301063-Would-you-like-to-join-my-merry-band

gets headline treatment one day maybe a recording might get made and get onto YouTube.

Maybe it might get sponsored.

FannyCornforth Sun 19-Sep-21 15:17:19

EP I think that you are wildly exaggerating ‘the influence of GN daily’.

ElderlyPerson Sun 19-Sep-21 15:18:49

FannyCornforth

Perhaps I could start a thread about this thread?
ATAATAAT?

Yes you could.

What does ATAATAAT mean please?

FannyCornforth Sun 19-Sep-21 15:23:00

A thread about a thread about a thread
The management aren’t keen on threads about threads

ElderlyPerson Sun 19-Sep-21 15:26:48

Ah, thank you.

This present thread is not itself a thread about a thread, it is about Gransnet Daily.

As far as I am aware it is perfectly fine to include a link to another thread where that link is relevant to the topic of the thread.

FannyCornforth Sun 19-Sep-21 15:29:58

I’m sure that it’s okay

Kim19 Sun 19-Sep-21 16:20:13

Goodness, this is complete gobbledygook to me.

muse Sun 19-Sep-21 16:22:43

EP. By Gransnet Daily, do you mean the 5 titles listed under Trending or is it the newsletter? I’ve never bothered with the latter. Thanks.

BlueBelle Sun 19-Sep-21 16:41:27

Nor have I muse

ixion Sun 19-Sep-21 16:50:50

Nor me.
Is the idea to entice people in? A sort of 'taster'?
Surely, if you are interested enough to follow regularly, you don't need anyone's recommendations? You just pick what you you fancy from the active/last hour/last day threads...

ElderlyPerson Sun 19-Sep-21 16:56:43

muse

*EP*. By Gransnet Daily, do you mean the 5 titles listed under Trending or is it the newsletter? I’ve never bothered with the latter. Thanks.

The newsletter that arrives by email each day about mid-morning if one has requested receiving it.

Callistemon Sun 19-Sep-21 17:01:28

What's Gransnet Daily?

I never look at the emails

ElderlyPerson Sun 19-Sep-21 17:08:29

ixion

Nor me.
Is the idea to entice people in? A sort of 'taster'?
Surely, if you are interested enough to follow regularly, you don't need anyone's recommendations? You just pick what you you fancy from the active/last hour/last day threads...

What happened today with the thread quoted and what happened some days ago with another thread seems to indicate that being listed in title position in Gransnet Daily has a substantial effect on the number of posts being made to a thread, increasing it greatly.

www.gransnet.com/forums/other_subjects/1300783-Why-do-some-people-inform-an-adult-person-who-is-tall-of-the-fact-that-he-or-she-is-tall

Though both were on a Sunday morning, so it cannot be assumed that it is not a Sunday effect to some extent.

FannyCornforth Sun 19-Sep-21 17:13:34

I’ve noticed the ‘Gransnet Daily phenomenon’ too.
It can often be annoying because posters don’t read the full thread, just the opening post, and then the replies can become very repetitive and often irrelevant.
Especially if the op is asking for advice for example, the problem could have been done and dusted days previously.

FannyCornforth Sun 19-Sep-21 17:15:19

EP, that’s why they do it. As I’ve said upthread- GN Daily is an advert. It’s there to get clicks. If it didn’t, they wouldn’t do it!

ixion Sun 19-Sep-21 17:19:42

To prove or disprove your theory, EP, surely you need to know how many people are reading Gransnet Daily and responding to it/being influenced by it?

I would suggest not that many.

JaneJudge Sun 19-Sep-21 17:20:21

You'll all be pleased to know I ended up posting here because of the gransnet newsletter email blush

FannyCornforth Sun 19-Sep-21 17:30:36

JaneJudge

You'll all be pleased to know I ended up posting here because of the gransnet newsletter email blush

What are you on about Jane?
This thread isn’t in GN Daily?

FannyCornforth Sun 19-Sep-21 17:31:42

Are you a disrupter?

JaneJudge Sun 19-Sep-21 17:58:28

who dear? me dear? a disrupter dear? no dear!