Gransnet forums

Site stuff

The influence of Gransnet Daily

(239 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Sun 19-Sep-21 13:19:36

It is an interesting phenomenon how the mention of a thread as the title feature of Gransnet Daily often results in a massive increase in posts to a thread.

For example, today the thread

www.gransnet.com/forums/relationships/1301027-How-is-a-mother-in-law-addressed

is the title feature and lots of new posts have appeared.

ElderlyPerson Wed 22-Sep-21 10:40:45

Ah that one worked!

Blossoming Wed 22-Sep-21 11:01:19

FannyCornforth is one of the kindest people on Gransnet. Have any of you thought how these comments may affect her?

I’m sure you will all tell me I’m mistaken but this looks like a pile on to me.

Riverwalk Wed 22-Sep-21 11:07:51

Why all the talk of Autism - the OP hasn't claimed to be on the spectrum, as far as I can tell, but he's been diagnosed as such on this thread!

Callistemon Wed 22-Sep-21 11:15:36

Blossoming

FannyCornforth is one of the kindest people on Gransnet. Have any of you thought how these comments may affect her?

I'm not piling in but I felt sorry for ElderlyPerson.

MayBeMaw Wed 22-Sep-21 11:23:22

Callistemon

Blossoming

I'm not piling in but I felt sorry for ElderlyPerson.

It was Mick I felt sorry after this comment

I reckon that Mick has some sort of hold over the management

(OK FannyC has made it clear it was intended it to be jokey, but I know from past experience that he is very sensitive and takes things literally) as he has nothing to do with all of this and if his GM thread is in evidence all day and every day that is purely a reflection of its popularity.

kittylester Wed 22-Sep-21 12:01:29

I felt sorry for Mick too.

And, for the record, I don't do pile ons!

ElderlyPerson Wed 22-Sep-21 12:08:18

Riverwalk

Why all the talk of Autism - the OP hasn't claimed to be on the spectrum, as far as I can tell, but he's been diagnosed as such on this thread!

I don't know whether I am but I suspect that I might be.

In a thread about colour blindness in relation to things like signage design and the shirt colours of two teams in a football match, someone mentioned that he was 'face blind'.

That resonated with some of my experiences so I looked it up.

It is called prosopagnosia and apparently it is not necessarily all or nothing.

It can be linked to autism.

I had heard of autism but had thought, as it appeared that many medical professionals had until around 1980, to be about people at what appears to now be regarded as one end of a spectrum.

The more I read about the high end of the spectrum the more it seemed to resonate with my experiences.

In some ways it was quite a relief, as I had long had the idea that I seemed to be different from a lot of people in many ways, yet I thought that that was just because everybody experiences things in their life that other people experience but privately.

Like, for example, you see people at work yet you do not see them in bed, having a wash, getting dressed, having breakfast and so on, so what you see of them is just the smartly dressed at work version, and so that is how they only saw me.

So I just accept that I might have Asperger's syndrome, it seems to fit, but I have not been diagnosed, but apparently diagnosis is subjective, it is not a blood test or anything absolute like that.

ElderlyPerson Wed 22-Sep-21 12:12:45

Oh but there was an online tesr and I tried it and it scored out of 40 if I remember correctly and it had that a score of something like over 18 implied Asperger's syndrome and I scored 36.

So that made me wonder! smile

Jaxjacky Wed 22-Sep-21 12:23:01

I too felt the Mick comment unnecessary, a gentler person on GN would be hard to find. And not sure what a ‘pile in’ is, but I don’t think I partake.

LauraNorder Wed 22-Sep-21 13:03:34

If I had to label you ElderlyPerson I’d say interesting and kind.
We are all anonymous here and can only go on what we read, no body language, no facial expressions. Perhaps we should stop taking offence at imagined slights and jumping on people. If someone says they are joking then we must take that at face value.
Nobody has a perfect life, why make it harder by criticising.

Early Wed 22-Sep-21 14:13:06

I don’t think that this the ideal forum for someone who is in a neurominority. I imagine much of the language and humour would be baffling and the arguing stressful.

Wrong Planet is a web community designed for individuals (and parents / professionals of those) with Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Personal Development Disorders, and other neurological differences. They provide a discussion forum, where members communicate with each other, an article section, with exclusive articles and how-to guides, a blogging feature and more.

I am neurotypical but work with many creatives who are neurodiverse in the extreme. This can present workplace challenges. I use Wrong Planet to talk to others to acquire a better understanding.

There are some very smart people over there and a lot of intelligent conversation.

ElderlyPerson Wed 22-Sep-21 14:31:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Early Wed 22-Sep-21 15:01:25

I don’t know the origin of the name. At a guess, because someone who is behaving differently is sometimes accused of being from "another planet". It’s the kind of expression that may be nonsensical to a literal thinker because we all come from same planet called Earth.

Wrong Planet was founded by Alex Plank and Dan Grover. I know little about Dan Grover but he may be the software developer. I know more about Alex Plank.

He is an autism advocate, filmmaker and actor known for his consulting work on The Bridge (he worked with Diane Kruger on developing her character) and acting in The Good Doctor.

He was diagnosed at the age of 9 with Asperger syndrome.

Plank started Wrong Planet in order to find others like him on the Internet.

He and Grover have created something good. It is not about being “redacted” or appeased. It is about finding people who can connect, share common interests, converse, support and understand one another in the same way that Gransnet brings people together. It’s just another option.