Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Would it be an idea to have a Benefits Forum on the list?

(96 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

PippaZ Mon 20-Sep-21 21:42:53

As I mentioned on another thread, I wonder if it would be useful to Gransnetters to have "Benefits" on the forum list.

Some of us might want to know what we can claim; some will also be acting as Power of Attorney and need to know for a parent or partner. That's what makes me ask. I cared for my mother at home until, at 98, she went to live in a care home.

At one point someone, I think she was from Age Concern (now Age UK), was helping me with one lot of forms and told me of another, health-related, benefit I could claim for her. I did, but although it was backdated I had probably missed a couple of years. She could have had towards her care. More surprising, not many of the people connected with benefits seemed to know about this one. I wouldn't want this to happen to someone else.

So that, and the chance to support one another, is why I'm asking. GNHQ are interested to hear what you think. They have suggested it might sit well in "Legal and Money". I think that could work if it were "Legal, Money and Benefits" so that people could spot it.

But what do you think?

Maywalk Mon 20-Sep-21 21:47:45

I think its a very good idea PippaZ.

Jaxjacky Mon 20-Sep-21 22:09:05

Agree, very good idea.

Charleygirl5 Mon 20-Sep-21 22:10:47

Yes, definitely a good idea.

grannyactivist Mon 20-Sep-21 22:19:34

Yes! I think a Benefits thread would be very helpful for some people. There are so many different types of benefit, all with their own discrete rules, that it can be hard for people to know what or how to claim - and where to turn if things go wrong.

Granniesunite Mon 20-Sep-21 22:19:50

Yes good idea.

bridie54 Mon 20-Sep-21 22:20:18

I think it’s a good idea too.

PippaZ Mon 20-Sep-21 22:20:52

Thank you all. Do you think "Legal, Money and Benefits" is the right place or does anyone have any other ideas?

Auntieflo Mon 20-Sep-21 22:21:39

That's a very good suggestion. Hope it gets taken up.

BlueBelle Mon 20-Sep-21 22:46:30

No good ideas get taken up on GN ???

Silverbridge Mon 20-Sep-21 22:53:01

A very good idea PippaZ

Recently, I've been very impressed with the advisors at MoneyHelper. This is a service provided by the Money and Pensions Service (MaPS) an arm’s-length body sponsored by the Department for Work and Pensions.

They have won a Clear English Award from the Plain Language Commission and their website meets the standards set by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) on accessibility for people with disabilities.

I'd been struggling to get advice about a state pension claim but getting nowhere with DWP who are rather behind at the moment for all the usual reasons.

I came away from a chat with MaPS knowing exactly what I had to do and what I could claim (complicated by late DH's SERPS). Their website carries lots of information on this and all other benefits including long-term care advice.

I hadn't know about this service until I was signposted to them by Pensionwise. Maybe others don’t either.

Personally, I’d like a separate section just called Benefits. In the alphabetical list it would then sit close to Bereavement and Care and Carers both of which have benefits entitlement. In which case, I wonder if it would be possible to pin a reference to MaPS to the top of the section?

PippaZ Mon 20-Sep-21 23:11:16

Silverbridge Mon 20-Sep-21 22:53:01

I think that the sort of information in you post, under a Benefits heading, could be really helpful.

I suggested just Benefits. However, I don't know how difficult it is to add an additional heading rather than change one as GNHQ suggest. It would certainly be easier to look through the thread headings under just Benefits and easier to keep them current.

GNHQ will read this thread so all ideas will be helpful.

Silverbridge Mon 20-Sep-21 23:35:00

PippaZ If you look at the forums list there's a space at the foot of column two. Everything in column one could just shift down one to accommodate a new Benefits section and Gransnet cafe could move across to the top of column two to keep things symmetrical. That adjustment and the pages that would flow from it are easy to code. A little bit more work than tagging Benefits into Legal and Money but not a huge task. It would make a Benefits section header easy to find, close to the top of the list and the more popular and useful sections like AIBU, Books and Chat, Bereavement and Care & Carers.

nanna8 Tue 21-Sep-21 00:55:56

Yes I agree,too. Good idea. Doesn’t apply to us overseas people but still agree.

FannyCornforth Tue 21-Sep-21 03:43:37

BlueBelle

No good ideas get taken up on GN ???

Although I cannot disagree with you in the main, BlueBelle, when ixion suggested a ‘Scams’ sub forum, the management set it up the very same day shock

FannyCornforth Tue 21-Sep-21 03:45:08

Forgot to say, I think it’s an excellent idea too Pippa.
I think that I would like to see it separate from Legal

kittylester Tue 21-Sep-21 06:47:41

I think this is a really good idea.

I help run Carer Learning courses (for AgeUk) for people caring for people living with dementia of all kinds. Our mantra on the courses is "You don't know what you don't know until someone tells you'.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Sep-21 06:54:25

I think it is an excellent suggestion, and very timely given the difficulties we are facing with fuel bill, inflation, etc.

TopsyIrene06 Tue 21-Sep-21 07:10:58

Pippa. Such a good idea.

Thank you also for your informative threads.

TillyTrotter Tue 21-Sep-21 07:12:48

It gets my vote ? Pippa, very helpful.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 21-Sep-21 07:44:14

A very good idea let’s hope Admin can set it up.

PippaZ Tue 21-Sep-21 08:57:27

kittylester

I think this is a really good idea.

I help run Carer Learning courses (for AgeUk) for people caring for people living with dementia of all kinds. Our mantra on the courses is "You don't know what you don't know until someone tells you'.

That certainly rings a bell, kittylester.

25Avalon Tue 21-Sep-21 09:03:37

An awful lot of people don’t claim benefits because they don’t know they are entitled to them so this is a good idea PippaZ.

Grammaretto Tue 21-Sep-21 09:07:47

Brilliant idea

Elusivebutterfly Tue 21-Sep-21 09:13:39

I think this a good idea but someone would need to ensure it is kept up-to-date. I was advised by the helpline at a reputable charity that I could claim a specific benefit but, on checking it, it is no longer open to new claimants.