Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Why do some topics not move up the active thread?

(134 Posts)
vegansrock Wed 22-Sep-21 07:06:44

Why is it that the active thread is not appearing in time/ date order on some topics? Two recent comments today on one thread but it is still a listed below some topics where the most recent comment is yesterday.

boheminan Sun 28-Nov-21 12:40:47

Feeling a need to revive this thread as there doesn't seem to be be any time order going on, and a couple of recent posters - well yes, me included, are stuck at the bottom of the pile without moving anywhere, waiting to fall off, whilst others are (as should be) zooming up straight to the top. Why?

Josianne Thu 07-Oct-21 17:15:55

Yes, as I said before I'm sure it started to go wrong when it was categorised under Games for some reason.

FannyCornforth Thu 07-Oct-21 16:11:02

There’s definitely something about your thread, isn’t there

FannyCornforth Thu 07-Oct-21 16:09:58

I’ve just posted on there Josianne to see what happens…

Josianne Thu 07-Oct-21 15:56:34

I just tried again on the photo thread, 10 minutes ago, and it hasn't made it to the Active Discussions board.

Early Thu 07-Oct-21 08:00:31

Thanks vegansrock. I can see your post on the webpage and also embedded in the dynamic code for that page so it has registered. When I get a bit more time, I'll take a closer look at the code. If you've tried the right click thing you'll see how complex it is but I'm also intrigued to know why some thread posts register and some don't.

So, from what you are saying, this thread does sometimes show on the leaderboard. That suggests a server issue which I wouldn't be able to detect.

At the end of the day, this is a clunky site which is often slow to respond and freezes a lot. The problem is MN/GN end and not to so with the high-end device and super fast broadband I use.

I see in the 2020 MN accounts the company promises a major tech upgrade so they are acknowledging that things need to improve.

vegansrock Thu 07-Oct-21 07:27:56

Sorry it was Brexit and shortages thread which didn’t move. Maybe it’s anything with Brexit in the title.

vegansrock Thu 07-Oct-21 07:25:06

yes I posted on the Brexit disaster thread yesterday it came up on my screen but then disappeared and the thread didn’t move. Same this morning.

Early Thu 07-Oct-21 07:15:50

If folks are interested, go to the Active Thread page, right click on it and select View Page Source. If you go down to where it says Main Loop in the code (Ctrl F and typing loop makes for a quicker search) you will see the active threads listed “thread odd” and “thread even”. That’s to do with the grey white stripes. You might see your name there if you are on the leaderboard. It should correspond with what's on the webpage but sometimes there's a bit of a timelag.

If vegansrock means the Brexit is fast becoming a disaster thread, there is no recent post from you recorded. Last is from varian yesterday evening. If you mean a different thread vegansrock can you say which it is and I’ll have a look to see if I can spot anything in the code for it to see why it isn’t being pushed to the leaderboard.

FannyCornforth Thu 07-Oct-21 06:58:10

Sorry the above was to vegansrock

FannyCornforth Thu 07-Oct-21 06:57:31

When I started a previous thread about it, HQ denied that it was happening. It then seemed apparent that whoever was writing didn’t know very much about the site.
It’s a thread in Site Stuff called ‘Royal Threads Hidden’.
Another poster started yet another thread about the AL, and nothing came of that either.

Ro60 Thu 07-Oct-21 06:56:08

This thread only arrived in my active threads today! ?

vegansrock Thu 07-Oct-21 06:51:49

Well if it says active threads I would expect it to reflect the active comments. It doesn’t. Is it computer says no?

nanna8 Thu 07-Oct-21 06:50:01

Well it’s not exactly parliament is it ? Who really cares ?

FannyCornforth Thu 07-Oct-21 06:42:03

vegansrock I love a conspiracy theory as much as anyone, but it’s not just politics threads that don’t shift; Josiannes thread being a particular case!

vegansrock Thu 07-Oct-21 04:50:09

I’ve just posted a comment on Coronation Street - it has jumped to the top of the active list. I have also posted a comment on the Brexit thread - it is no where in the active thread - I rest my case .

Josianne Thu 23-Sep-21 10:50:55

From GN, but it didn't work for me.

We think you aren't seeing threads you are on in activehereis that right? These are listed in order of the most recent post so could it be that the thread has dropped down the list once you go and check for it? Or are you checking straight afterwards? If you are checking straight afterwards then next time you post could you wait a few minutes after posting and then refresh the page. That sometimes gives the system chance to catch up.

Josianne Thu 23-Sep-21 10:41:48

10.37 am I posted a new photo in 1000 words

Not in Trending
Lost in amongst 8.30 am threads on Active board

I give up.

Shinamae Thu 23-Sep-21 10:34:49

Alegrias1

Shinamae

Clarification

I think Lily's a bit mistaken, there....

Unless popular means recent.

Alegrias1…… I believe you are correct ?

Josianne Thu 23-Sep-21 10:33:28

Good point Alegrias.

Josianne Thu 23-Sep-21 10:32:16

The trouble with the Trending box is that it doesn't show the time or name of the last poster, so I still have to trawl somewhere else to see if anything has been added. One glance at Active shows me all that.

Alegrias1 Thu 23-Sep-21 10:30:13

Shinamae

Clarification

I think Lily's a bit mistaken, there....

Unless popular means recent.

Callistemon Thu 23-Sep-21 10:23:46

Five News and Politics threads in "Last Hour" at the time of typing, forums in in alphabetical order.

Shinamae Thu 23-Sep-21 10:23:34

Clarification

Callistemon Thu 23-Sep-21 10:20:18

Kali2

anything 'political' is not shown in 'latest' - that has always been the case.

There are six News and Politics threads in the Active list, in time order.
(Or there were when I started typing this)

I don't have "Latest" but do have "Last Hour", but I'm not on the mobile site