Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Will GNHQ institute a policy of putting the date of publication on its feature article pages please?

(43 Posts)
ElderlyPerson Mon 01-Nov-21 17:49:41

Will GNHQ institute a policy of putting the date of publication on its feature article pages please?

The full date please, in the format

Weekday day_number_as_an_integer month_in_words year_using_four_digits with no abbreviations and no commas.

For example

Monday 1 November 2021

for a feature article published today.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 01-Nov-21 19:02:08

Please no more of these requests. What’s the point?

Blossoming Mon 01-Nov-21 19:07:09

I’m think that is a very good idea ElderlyPerson. The style and beauty ones are years old.

ElderlyPerson Mon 01-Nov-21 19:21:45

Germanshepherdsmum

Please no more of these requests. What’s the point?

It is my nature to suggest ways to improve things.

MerylStreep Mon 01-Nov-21 19:24:07

ElderlyPerson
I’ve been on GN for 11 years. I can tell you that very few requests are granted.

Mollygo Mon 01-Nov-21 19:24:48

The weather has been appalling recently and the nights are getting darker. Sometimes we look for things to do that aren’t really necessary, just to pass the time.
Go for it EP.

MayBeMaw Mon 01-Nov-21 19:36:48

Stop trying to impose your own improvements EP please.
Email HQ if you wish but on balance, if it ain't broke - dont fix it

ElderlyPerson Mon 01-Nov-21 19:37:55

MerylStreep

ElderlyPerson
I’ve been on GN for 11 years. I can tell you that very few requests are granted.

Recently the Pensions and benefits advice forum was started.

LINK to Pensions and benefits advice forum

I always think that the first step to trying to get something improved - anywhere, I don't mean just on Gransnet - is to make a clear and polite request specifying what needs to be done to implement the suggested improvement.

Marydoll Mon 01-Nov-21 19:38:24

Why are you requesting this EP? Could you please give an example?

Marydoll Mon 01-Nov-21 19:40:25

I have read your post of 01-Nov-21 19:37:55, but I still none the wiser. Perhaps I'm just dense. sad

ElderlyPerson Mon 01-Nov-21 19:48:22

MayBeMaw

Stop trying to impose your own improvements EP please.
Email HQ if you wish but on balance, if it ain't broke - dont fix it

Oh, I am not seeking to impose anything.

It is not a matter of anything being broken.

I am not suggesting GNHQ going through all previous articles and adding a date, I am simply suggesting that, if my suggestion is accepted, then all future articles will have the date of publication on them when they are published.

If a previously published article is updated, then it can carry the date of first publication and the date of the revised version as well.

Gransnet is an important social media platform and its articles deserve to have the provenance quality of those publications carrying a date.

ElderlyPerson Mon 01-Nov-21 20:04:41

Marydoll

I have read your post of 01-Nov-21 19:37:55, but I still none the wiser. Perhaps I'm just dense. sad

The following linked page was offered when accessing the Gransnet website recently.

www.gransnet.com/relationships/daughter-in-law-relationship

Yet there is no date on it.

So is it new or has it been in existence for however long and just brought to people's attention again?

What was the social mood of society in the era when it was written?

I was trained early on to always date my work. I always look for a date on a document.

If I write on pages of loose A4 sheets I date each page and add a circled digit (or digits) indicating the place in the sequence of pages written that day.

It seems that a lot of effort goes into writing those articles, so their value should, in my opinion, be enhanced by adding the provenance of a date.

Jaxjacky Mon 01-Nov-21 20:11:48

Good point EP.

Marydoll Mon 01-Nov-21 20:24:55

Thanks EP, I understand now what you were saying.

My training has always made me try to make things as simple as possible. This is how I would have explained it.

Show the page as an example and display your suggestion. (Date published at the top of the page.)
This is only a suggestion, I'm sure you have other ideas.

Ro60 Tue 02-Nov-21 00:04:29

Happy with GN the way it is.

If I wanted it any other way, I could always use a different site.

MayBeMaw Tue 02-Nov-21 07:54:07

Oh, I am not seeking to impose anything

On the contrary, your thread title Will GNHQ institute a policy etc etc etc is precisely that.
No policy as such is required.

Galaxy Tue 02-Nov-21 07:56:44

You dont get to decide it's not required either Maybemaw in the same way Ep doesnt get to impose it.

JaneJudge Tue 02-Nov-21 08:04:41

I don't understand what is going on

JaneJudge Tue 02-Nov-21 08:05:01

or what is being suggested confused

MayBeMaw Tue 02-Nov-21 08:07:59

Galaxy

You dont get to decide it's not required either Maybemaw in the same way Ep doesnt get to impose it.

I apologise, I should have added IMHO - another “acronym” not on the list.
(Who ever said I was deciding ? Have another cuppa. )

Galaxy Tue 02-Nov-21 08:09:52

Oh and EP if you are asking them for things whilst you are there will you remind them about the feminism topic we requested grin

Mollygo Tue 02-Nov-21 08:11:25

JJ it’s a bit like Covid-but with GN instead.
Some people think things could be done better, some don’t, and the PTB aren’t listening.
Fortunately, with GN, any outcome isn’t going to seriously affect the nation.

MerylStreep Tue 02-Nov-21 08:17:09

ElderlyPerson
I don’t wish to disillusion you, but, GN is not an important social media platform
Do your own straw poll with friends and family and see who’s heard of it.

MayBeMaw Tue 02-Nov-21 09:13:43

MerylStreep

ElderlyPerson
I don’t wish to disillusion you, but, GN is not an important social media platform
Do your own straw poll with friends and family and see who’s heard of it.

Gransnet is an important social media platform and its articles deserve to have the provenance quality of those publications carrying a date

Awww!

cupcakecupcakecupcake

ElderlyPerson Tue 02-Nov-21 09:39:57

Galaxy

Oh and EP if you are asking them for things whilst you are there will you remind them about the feminism topic we requested grin

Yes certainly. I am replying to you now and then I will try to report my post to GNHQ and ask if a forum on Feminism can be added please.