Gransnet forums

Site stuff

‘Royal’ Forum anyone?

(64 Posts)
Calendargirl Sun 17-Apr-22 16:33:15

It was commented upon the other day that there were four threads relating to the Royal family.

Seeing as we are in Platinum Jubilee Year, would a ‘Royal’ or ‘Monarchy’ forum be of interest?

For royalists and republicans to comment upon.

Joseanne Mon 18-Apr-22 07:28:03

Oh Calendargirl I've just seen that this topic has no comments, so I'll add an answer.
I'm not sure that the RF would normally merit its own forum, but this year is certainly a momentous one for them. It won't be earth shattering news when the Queen dies, but it will certainly provoke lots of discussion and I understand why people on GN might like to keep it separate from the other forums. Likewise I assume there are those who regard it as trivial stuff which gets in the way at times. They must want it to have its own forum too because we sometimes read comments like, "Go back to your RF thread" when some others engage in political discussions.
I'm sure it was asked of GNHQ to separate News from Politics a while back, and although they said they would think about it, nothing ever happened. By the same token I guess a request for a RF forum might suffer the same fate.

merlotgran Mon 18-Apr-22 09:01:40

There’s really no point as it will just become a playground for those who get their kicks by pouncing on any thread that’s started about the RF.

volver Mon 18-Apr-22 09:04:33

Thank you for asking about this "Calendargirl"

I have no preference either way as I just join in with threads that interest me, or where I have something to say, regardless of what forum they are on. So a dedicated forum wouldn't make any difference to me. Cheers.

Anniebach Mon 18-Apr-22 09:08:04

Threads on the Royal Family should be in ‘Games’, more suitable for a section of posters who mock and derail R.F,
threads

MaizieD Mon 18-Apr-22 09:18:33

Yes please, yes please, yes please.

A RF forum so we never have to see the words Harry & Meghan again unless we really want to.

Lucca Mon 18-Apr-22 09:18:39

Do you want a royal family n forum/site with only certain views allowed ? You could ask for that to be added to gnhq guidelines maybe .

Anniebach Mon 18-Apr-22 09:21:36

Agree MaizieD

Riverwalk Mon 18-Apr-22 09:24:04

MaizieD

Yes please, yes please, yes please.

A RF forum so we never have to see the words Harry & Meghan again unless we really want to.

That wouldn't work as we can't block whole forums, just individual threads - as we know from the pesky Games threads!

Shelflife Mon 18-Apr-22 09:24:19

Please NO!

Lucca Mon 18-Apr-22 09:24:42

Whaaaat ? You love a chat about them

BlueBelle Mon 18-Apr-22 09:28:39

No thanks

volver Mon 18-Apr-22 09:28:45

Still no personal preference either way for a forum, but would we be allowed to chat about republicanism versus monarchism? Or is it just about hats and hard working pensioners?

There's a Royal Family forum on Mumsnet smile

eazybee Mon 18-Apr-22 09:42:37

Nothing wrong with people expressing their views about the royal family, for or against, but a specific thread won't prevent the perpetual comments aimed at provoking, goading and ultimately upsetting posters, not their opinions.

Started already.

volver Mon 18-Apr-22 09:49:44

Mmm hmm....

who was first on this thread to start making rude comments about other posters and casting aspersions?

smile

Joseanne Mon 18-Apr-22 09:55:42

Actually volver I was first on this thread out of courtesy sympathy to Calendargirl because posters have commented how dispiriting it is to start a thread with no takers the following day.
Where was I rude please?

Blossoming Mon 18-Apr-22 09:58:11

I don’t think it would make any difference. The words ‘Royal Family’ act as a trigger no matter which forum they appear on.

Blossoming Mon 18-Apr-22 09:59:51

You have misread Volver’s post Joseanne. This happens a lot on RF threads.

volver Mon 18-Apr-22 10:02:12

Joseanne

Actually volver I was first on this thread out of courtesy sympathy to Calendargirl because posters have commented how dispiriting it is to start a thread with no takers the following day.
Where was I rude please?

"who was first on this thread to start making rude comments about other posters and casting aspersions? "

is not the same as "Who was first on this thread?"

I don't think you were rude in any way, and I didn't say that.

volver Mon 18-Apr-22 10:02:28

Blossoming

You have misread Volver’s post Joseanne. This happens a lot on RF threads.

^This

Joseanne Mon 18-Apr-22 11:01:04

Oops sorry OK maybe I did see "first" as in off the blocks in this case!
Maybe "Who was the first poster to ...... " would have read better to me.
Either way, no probs now.

Lucca Mon 18-Apr-22 11:04:32

merlotgran

There’s really no point as it will just become a playground for those who get their kicks by pouncing on any thread that’s started about the RF.

This.

volver Mon 18-Apr-22 11:05:08

Joseanne ??

DaisyAnne Mon 18-Apr-22 11:06:55

Anniebach

Agree MaizieD

I'll add my vote but could we also have a way to actually "ignore" a whole Topic should we wish to do so?

maddyone Mon 18-Apr-22 11:08:14

I don’t see why not.