Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Do you remember wayback when.........

(213 Posts)
toscalily Fri 12-Aug-22 14:32:47

and I mean years ago, Gransnet was newer, brighter, more tolerant, less dictatorial, more interesting, and mixed in with the serious conversations there were generally some lighthearted, funnier threads.... reading today it seems to have lost something?

Baggs Sat 03-Sep-22 09:06:25

This has turned into one of those threads where, if you read it upside-down (newest posts first; I should probably say newest few cos I do read more than one) as I do, you haven't a clue what it's about. You thought you did last time you visited but clearly you didn't.

All that comes across is bickering about who said (and meant) what when and why. Oh well. Hey ho.

Baggs Sat 03-Sep-22 09:07:37

So for me it's about distracting myself from the dismalness of what's in the paper. Think I'll go and read a book or do a painting. ?

VioletSky Sat 03-Sep-22 09:12:56

Don't mind me, I'm just pretending to be sweetness and light rather than a normal human being that has opinions about stuff and is always nice to nice people lol

Vintagejazz Sat 03-Sep-22 09:33:57

I agree Mollygro. I have a real issue with those sweetness and light but really getting a dig in posts.
Germanshepherdsmum was one of the posters I was thinking of when I said there are some posters I can disagree with on one thread and happily agree with on another. I never see snideness, grudge bearing or passive aggressive digs in her posts.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 03-Sep-22 09:44:45

Thank you Vintagejazz. That’s very kind of you.

Galaxy Sat 03-Sep-22 09:45:20

I have fought like cat and dog with GSM on a number of issues grin, she has always been utterly reasonable in her disagreements with me.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 03-Sep-22 09:49:39

Thank you Galaxy. Much appreciated and reciprocated.

Galaxy Sat 03-Sep-22 10:04:53

I wonder how much our experience of debate impacts how we respond online. I have always had very feisty political debates with my dad, I remember once in my twenties a friend being present during one of our 'disagreements', afterwards she asked if I was alright, I had no idea what she was referring to, but she thought disagreeing = falling out.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 03-Sep-22 10:15:57

You may have a point there. I suppose I engaged in a lot of negotiation during my working life and outright confrontation had to be avoided if a result was to be achieved (I wasn’t a litigator!).

M0nica Sat 03-Sep-22 21:14:14

I have always been ready to stand up for myself, and others where appropriate. Teachers at school noticed this and put me in the debating team, and I have really gone on from there.

My DiL commented recently that we can have a good argument, mainly on social issues and as soon as it is over. I immediately become my normal friendly self again. I hope I do that on GN.

I know that at times, I have been arguing with someone on ine thread, while completely agreeing with them on another.

Unlike GSM, I am not a lawyer, but my workng life did require me persuade other people to do things for me, where I had no authority and I had to rely on building a good rapport with them to get my job done.

Blossoming Sat 03-Sep-22 21:52:13

I’m worried now which of those equally unpleasant categories I fall into. Time to sign out.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 03-Sep-22 21:53:58

Blossoming, I don’t think you fall into any of them.