Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Get rid of the games!!

(68 Posts)
Chestnut Tue 21-Mar-23 16:41:36

Scrolling down the threads for discussions is now driving me nuts. It's nothing but Games, just spotted 8 discussion threads and 13 Games threads.

Please Gransnet, give the Games their own tab at the top. Surely Coronavirus is getting out of date. You could slot Games between Forums and Grandparenting.

Please get them off, there are so many they really are getting very annoying on a discussion forum and don't belong there.

Chestnut Thu 23-Mar-23 16:18:55

I have never cleared my history. Are you talking about Gransnet or your complete browsing history? I would only do that if I were getting a new computer. Having said that, McAfee seems to be clearing stuff all the time whether I want it to or not, although it doesn't clear my Gransnet threads.

FannyCornforth Thu 23-Mar-23 14:19:27

toscalily I never clear my history shock
Is it important?
Thank you - I’m terrible with technology

toscalily Thu 23-Mar-23 14:15:01

The deletion will work, but only until you clear your history (which I am assuming you do on a regular basis) so it is only temporary. It is time consuming and irritating to have to do on a regular basis.

Chestnut Thu 23-Mar-23 14:04:21

It has worked very well for me. I've put up the posts in the last 24 hours, gone to the Games thread and zapped about 10 or more. Then next time do the same. Before long you have removed all the games played in the last 24 hours. All I see now are discussions! It's brilliant. I never knew this was possible.

Farzanah Thu 23-Mar-23 11:14:32

It’s like a hydra. The more you zap the more appear!

Chestnut Wed 22-Mar-23 23:43:22

BlueBelle

But they re never ending Chestnut if you get rid of 20 one day you ll have just as many the next and it’s very time consuming to go though that each day

I realise they are never ending but for the moment it does seem to have removed a great number and I will keep zapping them and see how it goes.

BlueBelle Wed 22-Mar-23 22:08:18

But they re never ending Chestnut if you get rid of 20 one day you ll have just as many the next and it’s very time consuming to go though that each day

Floradora9 Wed 22-Mar-23 21:26:20

I tried to put on a similar thread and it was deleted I hate the games .

Chestnut Wed 22-Mar-23 17:06:20

Chestnut

FannyCornforth

Chestnut

The Games threads cannot be hidden on a computer and presumably not on a laptop either.

Perhaps this might work.

Go from ‘desktop site’ and into ‘mobile site’ (do this at the very bottom of the page); hide all the threads that you want hidden;
and then revert back to ‘desk top site’.

I’m not sure if it would work, but you never know

Thanks for that. I never knew there was such a thing at the bottom. It does seem to work but I can't go through 37 or more games threads to hide them all. And there will always be more games coming up. So it's useful to know but a very clunky way of hiding them.

Well actually, with patience and a few at a time, I have managed to hide all the Games threads! Thank you for that, it just requires a methodical approach, every time I go into 'Last Day' threads I see a few games and zap them immediately by switching to Mobile at the bottom, and then back to Desktop. Now I am seeing discussions only and it is bliss!

FannyCornforth Wed 22-Mar-23 11:32:46

Chestnut, I know what you’re saying, but I think what you are proposing is a bit more complicated that inserting an extra heading.
It’s not just a heading that’s needed for it to work - it’s the equivalent of another forum.
At the moment all posts go into one ‘bag’, you are proposing another separate ‘bag’.

That’s how I imagine it works, I could be totally wrong of course confused

Farzanah Wed 22-Mar-23 10:55:03

I don’t really think it’s feasible to separate the games because this is a commercial site and games are popular, but I think GN is a big enough time waster (for me 😱) without getting embroiled in the games.
As to Coronavirus, it sure hasn’t gone away. Immunisation has waned and I know at least 8 people who have covid just now. Two are quite ill.

Hetty58 Wed 22-Mar-23 10:42:03

Chestnut, yes - separate the games - please!

I don't agree with 'Coronavirus is getting out of date' though. Leave it be. The virus is still here, immunisations have lapsed - (for most of us) and a new variant could cause real problems.

crazyH Wed 22-Mar-23 10:40:23

I like the ‘games’ thread…

Riverwalk Wed 22-Mar-23 10:39:02

Games are a source of 'clicks' for Gransnet which is after all a commercial site, so they'll put them in the most prominent place, whether we like it or not!

Blossoming Wed 22-Mar-23 10:39:00

This complaint seems to crop up every few months, as does the complaint about the ‘active’ list. I’m using an iPad and I can’t say either of these things bothers me. I don’t play any games except Wordle (when I remember) and the stuff on the active list seldom interests me. I usually use the ‘Last Hour’ list or the ‘I’m On’ list.

Chestnut Wed 22-Mar-23 10:36:07

FannyCornforth

Chestnut

The Games threads cannot be hidden on a computer and presumably not on a laptop either.

Perhaps this might work.

Go from ‘desktop site’ and into ‘mobile site’ (do this at the very bottom of the page); hide all the threads that you want hidden;
and then revert back to ‘desk top site’.

I’m not sure if it would work, but you never know

Thanks for that. I never knew there was such a thing at the bottom. It does seem to work but I can't go through 37 or more games threads to hide them all. And there will always be more games coming up. So it's useful to know but a very clunky way of hiding them.

Chestnut Wed 22-Mar-23 10:31:03

What I'm proposing is for the Games to be removed from the discussion boards and have their own tab at the top, as shown here. People can still play games to their heart's content.

Shinamae Wed 22-Mar-23 10:28:54

Chestnut

They are taking over the discussion boards. I counted more games than discussions.

This..

Farzanah Wed 22-Mar-23 10:25:34

notgran

I don't care. I am not interested in the Games discussions so never read them. Obviously lots of Gransnetters enjoy them, so good luck to them, pun intended. grin What I do dislike on here are the obvious made up stories that seem to come from someone with a very strange imagination. I usually start to read then, then ignore them. Thankfully they soon seem to disappear from the "Active Discussion" thread.

Me too. They are always first time posters, and the stories are usually long and very complicated but many kind GNs do reply helpfully, with replies often running to pages.

I think they are given the benefit of the doubt because they could be genuine, but I don’t respond.

silverlining48 Wed 22-Mar-23 09:41:41

When posting on for example the hip thread it either fails to register on Active at all or if it does it’s straight away at the bottom about to drop off or if it actually is higher up on Active it drops down alarmingly fast and then disappears altogether.
It’s annoying and a complete mystery because it is in its third iteration and has helped so many people.

faye17 Wed 22-Mar-23 09:32:34

A little bit of tolerance goes a long way

FannyCornforth Wed 22-Mar-23 09:15:02

NanKate

I remember you saying that Fanny. Sadly HQ appears to ignore our protests.

Cross post! Yes, I was always moaning about it grin

FannyCornforth Wed 22-Mar-23 09:14:14

I don’t really understand how Games threads could be accommodated elsewhere.
All of the threads are on the same platform.
It would mean developing another platform to run along side it wouldn’t it?
I know absolutely zilch about website development, but I know that a few on here definitely do.
The only way I can see it working would be if HQ made it that Games threads didn’t appear in the Active List.
(I remember Mumsnet removing the Staff Room threads from the active threads during lockdown as some people were being abusive to teachers)

And if they won’t look into the Active List malfunctioning, they’re not likely to make any big changes site wise.
It’s not a big deal in the grand scheme (but I can hide them, so I would say that! And there are a handful of Games that I enjoy)

NanKate Wed 22-Mar-23 09:11:36

I remember you saying that Fanny. Sadly HQ appears to ignore our protests.

NanKate Wed 22-Mar-23 09:10:08

I think if Games were removed GN would look very thin on the ground.

IMO I doubt HQ will do anything about it, just like they ignored the protests about these dratted adverts in the middle of threads and equally the small ads bottom right which are put there if someone has the audacity to whiz through the main ads.