Gransnet forums

Sponsored discussions

Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Gransnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at [email protected]. If you are a journalist, start-up or student and you want to request feedback from gransnetters, please post in Media Requests.

Can you spot a scam? Give Take Five to Stop Fraud’s test a go and share what you think - £300 voucher to be won NOW CLOSED

(278 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

EllieGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 30-Jan-18 11:12:55

Take Five, have launched their new ‘Too Smart To Be Scammed?’ test, as part of Take Five to Stop Fraud week and they would love you to take the test and share your result and your thoughts.

Here’s what Take Five have to say: “Take Five to Stop Fraud is a national campaign that offers advice to help everyone protect themselves from preventable financial fraud. It educates individuals to help them spot scams and urges people to stop and consider whether the situation is genuine – to Take Five and think if what you’re being told really makes sense. Remember, ‘My money? My info? I don’t think so.”

It is becoming increasingly difficult to spot a scam as criminals are more sophisticated than ever; however there are still steps you can take to protect yourself and learn how to spot a scam before you have given away any personal details. Take the test, find out if you’re too smart to be scammed and let us know what you think. How did you score? Did you learn a new way to protect yourself from scams and frauds? What did you find the hardest about spotting a scam? Were there any bits you were surprised you got wrong or right?

Everyone who takes the quiz and posts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one GNer will win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list).

Thanks and good luck!
GNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

NannyJan53 Sat 17-Feb-18 15:35:50

I scored 7/8. I ticked 'I don't think so' to a genuine text.

BradfordLass72 Fri 25-Jan-19 08:22:03

One thing I would pass on is that when an e-mail looks to be fairly credible, perhaps even using your name and some personal details, let your cursor hover over their email address. (on PCs)
If it's a genuine company or contact, you'll see the address you know ([email protected] for instance).
If it's not, you'll see something like [email protected]

MissAdventure banks here in NZ usually contact clients via the client's personal page, not by text, email or phone for just these very security reasons.
The personal page has to be accessed by login and password and the site itself is secure.

If, in an emergency, they must phone they ask you to go to the secure site for details they won't divulge on an insecure line.