Gransnet forums

Sport

Wimbledon...

(118 Posts)
LyndaW Fri 26-Jun-15 15:14:40

...starts on Monday. Who's going to be watching?! Winners predictions?

NanKate Sun 28-Jun-15 15:19:30

Annie I am equally addicted. In 1974 my son had just been born and I slipped out to the TV room in the hospital. I can always remember being reprimanded by one of the nurses as follows.

'Mrs Kate your baby needs feeding NOW'
'I'm sorry Sister but I don't know when I am going to have the time to watch Wimbledon again'.

The look on her face as I scurried back to my crying son. sad

Mishap Sun 28-Jun-15 16:55:20

I will watch as much as I can, but have a busy fortnight coming up. I like the men's games better as they are faster and do not simply involve standing at the back of the court thwacking the ball - oh and grunting! My favourite are men's doubles. It is due to be 34 degrees on Wednesday - I wouldn't fancy playing tennis in that!

Anniebach Mon 29-Jun-15 09:52:47

NanKate, I will confess , when our daughters were three and four my stupid, stupid husband booked his summer holiday second week of Wimbledon. We went on our annual beach holiday , men's semi finals day and I told two little girls the tide was right in and we couldn't go on the beach , I still suffer guilt and they are now in their forties , oh the shame , even worse - I would do it again . Elder daughter had revenge , had two tickets in the Wimbledon draw - which I entered every year even before she was born but never lucky . Her second baby was due end June so we couldn't go. Think it was that thing called karma

Soutra Mon 29-Jun-15 11:04:18

gringrin

mjagger Mon 29-Jun-15 13:38:12

I hope to see some of the actions and I'm hoping Murray will win again!

Mishap Mon 29-Jun-15 13:49:45

Djokovic is getting a run for his money! - not a walkover so far.

whenim64 Mon 29-Jun-15 14:02:50

For a couple of games, the blue tit had the upper hand! grin A predictable match (watch me be proved wrong) so I'm watching Serena over on Court One now.

whenim64 Mon 29-Jun-15 14:07:36

.......on second thoughts, Serena is screaming her head off every time she hits the ball. Back to Djokovic!

NanKate Mon 29-Jun-15 14:24:03

Poor you Annie. I have been to Wimbers a few times in my life and it is fun, but now I am in my dotage I prefer to lie on the sofa with a mug of tea and a piece of cake and watch wall to wall tennis.

The thing I found odd is that when visiting Wimbledon there is no commentary and it feels odd. The second time we went we took small radios and listened via an ear piece. grin

Anniebach Mon 29-Jun-15 14:37:58

Wawinka claims he can beat Djokovic because he is the only player who csn bully him .

Djokovic back on form in second set

Anniebach Mon 29-Jun-15 14:39:36

Thank you NanKate smile

Anniebach Mon 29-Jun-15 14:45:46

I am a pacifist but I have an urge to throttle Andrew Castle

whenim64 Mon 29-Jun-15 14:49:09

Not until I have, Annie grin

Anniebach Mon 29-Jun-15 15:06:35

Could you do so before tomorrow's play please whenim, please

Lona Mon 29-Jun-15 15:19:15

Noo! I love Andrew Castle! grin

NanKate Mon 29-Jun-15 15:26:21

Why is Andrew Castle on your throttle list Annie? Is it to do with the inane chat the commentators sometimes have between each other ? I want to hear about tennis statistics not what the players are wearing.

The best commentators IMO are Jim Courier at the French and John McEnroe at Wimbledon.

Anniebach Mon 29-Jun-15 15:37:02

NanKate, did you hear him telling Henman how he had cramp in his first match at Wimbledon,Henman replied that he didn't , Castle comes back with - you did a bit. And I think he has a thing for Henman , I keep shouting at the tv - it's Aorangi Terrace not Henman Hill, but does he listen? Noooo

Where is Johnny Mac, he talks tennis not Henman this and Henman that

Anniebach Mon 29-Jun-15 15:41:19

Lona, why? He is so boring,

Aw Hewitt is playing

NanKate Mon 29-Jun-15 15:54:42

I'm glad I missed all that daft chat Annie.

Have you noticed that Sue Barker, who I like, is looking all of her 59 years and more, whereas I saw Chris Evert in the the paper today and she looks far younger than her 60 years. I am not being unkind just a realist.

merlotgran Mon 29-Jun-15 16:11:11

I'd like to throttle each and everyone of Lleyton Hewitt's noisy rabble. angry

ffinnochio Mon 29-Jun-15 16:12:18

tennis tennis tennis ..... smile

ginny Mon 29-Jun-15 16:18:03

Just curious here. Why do sports on the television need commentators ? Surely one can see what is happening.

Lona Mon 29-Jun-15 16:27:19

Anniebach I know he's boring and inane, I think that's because he's been presenting inane TV for so long. I just feel a bit sorry for him because I think he's quite a nice bloke really.
Let's face it, they all love the sound of their own voices.

whenim64 Mon 29-Jun-15 17:13:29

He can be a bit of a twit, Lona. He doesn't tend to engage his brain before his mouth starts working. I remember him blabbing about a private donation one of the players (not sure which one now) had made of his appearance fee to a cancer charity, but he got the information wrong and embarrassed a few people when the comment had to be withdrawn.

Anniebach Mon 29-Jun-15 17:33:43

I always feel sorry for Hewitt remembering the young player who first came to Wimbledon, I hoped he wouldn't go out in the first round, after his groupies yelling throughout I hope he goes out .

Ooops, he has, now I feel guilty