Gransnet forums

Sport

Rugby World Cup

(119 Posts)
annodomini Sat 03-Oct-15 13:33:06

There used to be a small coterie of rugby fans on Gransnet. What has happened to us? Am I the only one left? I have enjoyed most of the matches I have seen as 'open' rugby seems to be more fashionable than the 'heave and grunt' style previously commonplace, though the Springboks may employ that tactic against Scotland today. I hope not. Come on Scotland! Oh all right - Come on England too against the Wallabies.

LullyDully Sun 04-Oct-15 13:14:52

Sorry about England but at least Wales is doing well. Great.

rosequartz Sun 04-Oct-15 14:39:02

Independence for Monmouthshire!
(But could they muster a rugby team good enough to win the World Cup?)

JessM Sun 04-Oct-15 19:58:11

Not been a great weekend of Rugby unless you happen to be Australian. I'm sure they are very happy to beat the Poms, but England going out has cast a bit of a shadow over the whole thing. Although Welsh myself there are lots of lovely English supporters I know who are having to be very brave - so commiserations to them (specially 2 Bs-I-L who have bought TICKETS for 1/4 finals.
DH is Irish and the match tonight was somewhat frustrating.
Australia look like they are in with a shout to win the tournament methinks. But it goes on quite a while yet doesn't it.

rosequartz Sun 04-Oct-15 20:01:29

Hello JessM, the other day I was wondering where you were - must be telepathy.

As I have a rugby-playing Australian DGS I have to support the Wallabies now I suppose smile

I am English, but they were rubbish not playing their best grin

Anniebach Sun 04-Oct-15 22:27:36

Nah rosequartz , you would have to beat Wales - bet that remark will come back and bite me after our next match grin

rosequartz Sun 04-Oct-15 22:57:51

Hmm, better not watch it in Wales then
Although I did post that my friend said that 'everyone in Wales is Australian' on Friday night I bet she changes back again when Wales play Australia in the final.

Anniebach Sun 04-Oct-15 23:11:13

You may find this difficult to believe but England got such a hammering I felt sad for the team as they left the pitch

rosequartz Sun 04-Oct-15 23:23:44

I felt embarrassed for them.
But my DGS will be pleased!

Anniebach Sun 04-Oct-15 23:28:14

No they were devastated , I blame the media

rosequartz Sun 04-Oct-15 23:30:05

I know, but it was very uncomfortable watching them.

Anniebach Sun 04-Oct-15 23:33:19

Yes it was , I really can't take anyone feeling humiliated , not even the England rugby team , unless it's in the six nations !

rosequartz Sat 10-Oct-15 17:05:48

Wales -v- Australia - what a quandary!! confused

Anniebach Sat 10-Oct-15 18:23:04

Why do I watch , ninety minutes of panic

Grannyknot Sat 10-Oct-15 18:55:12

Annie I was at the SA-USA match last week and felt very sorry for the U.S. team, they tried so hard even after it was completely obvious that they had no chance of scoring even once. I think the score was something like 61-0 to SA. The whole crowd starting chanting "USA" to encourage them - we all wanted them to get some points.

It was a wonderful evening at the Olympic Park. I did enjoy the match, and the atmosphere.

My Welsh friends and colleagues are squaring up to me for an SA - Wales quarterfinal. Ooh! smile

lucycakeface Sat 10-Oct-15 19:05:33

Oh I am so enjoying it. I just love the narrow win games. My only regret is that England are out. I have really enjoyed tonights matches having seen Scotland and Australia win. Still holding my breath before England play their last match. Its the All Blacks for me though ladies!

rosequartz Sat 10-Oct-15 19:47:54

Why do I watch , ninety minutes of panic grin

No tries, though, what a disappointment
I do like to see them skidding along!

Anniebach Sat 10-Oct-15 19:52:17

Grannyknot lucky you .

Well done Scotland

Cymru Am Byth

annodomini Sat 10-Oct-15 20:48:15

The Scotland - Samoa match was so tense that I had to have chocolate. blush But it turned out all right for the Flower of Scotland. Sorry Wales didn't beat the Wallabies.

Cherrytree59 Sat 10-Oct-15 22:07:51

As a Scot I am very happy It was a great anniversary present for me , not so for my poor English DH I fear I wont be so happy after their next match, But I can always Dream..........

JessM Wed 14-Oct-15 09:32:00

oh dear - the Wales-Australia match was a tense experience that I did not particularly enjoy, what with the very-nearly-tries and all. Maybe that is why people get drunk while watching their teams play - it relaxes them sufficiently to make the anxiety bearable. Had to watch half an hour of Strictly afterwards to wind down.

Anniebach Sat 17-Oct-15 17:13:11

I need a Valium

Grannyknot Sat 17-Oct-15 17:28:33

Me too.

Grannyknot Sat 17-Oct-15 17:29:06

grin

LullyDully Sat 17-Oct-15 17:44:57

Oh dear must go out and find something to do.

LullyDully Sat 17-Oct-15 17:48:05

Granny Jenkins is swearing in Welsh up in heaven.