Gransnet forums

Sport

Rugby World Cup

(119 Posts)
annodomini Sat 03-Oct-15 13:33:06

There used to be a small coterie of rugby fans on Gransnet. What has happened to us? Am I the only one left? I have enjoyed most of the matches I have seen as 'open' rugby seems to be more fashionable than the 'heave and grunt' style previously commonplace, though the Springboks may employ that tactic against Scotland today. I hope not. Come on Scotland! Oh all right - Come on England too against the Wallabies.

ninathenana Thu 22-Oct-15 08:59:40

Agreed Wilma even at local club level the ref is addressed as 'Sir'

Bennan Thu 22-Oct-15 11:57:40

Some of the matches have been nail-bitingly excellent. I hope we are seeing an improvement in the second tier nations that will be a sign of what is to come in the years ahead. What will the next World Cup bring?
Although the home nations are no longer involved we can still enjoy watching the southern hemisphere teams and perhaps the home unions will pay more attention to how they train and encourage their youngsters. Brian Moore made some very telling points in his column in the DT on this subject - but will they listen!!

annodomini Sat 24-Oct-15 16:04:18

A very big match this afternoon which perhaps should have been the final. Big guys, all of them. I hope they don't deploy any dirty tactics as both NZ and SA have sometimes done in the past!

rosequartz Sat 24-Oct-15 20:15:52

Well, that's a relief!

Now, is it going to All Blacks -v- Wallabies in the final ??

I bet the pitch is a bit churned up after today and all that rain.

J52 Sat 24-Oct-15 20:24:39

We were rooting foe NZ, for a few awful moments I thought it was going to be a repeat of last Sunday!

Still not got over it! Maybe never will!

X

ninathenana Sat 24-Oct-15 20:25:58

Be interesting to see Argentina win. We've had a few unexpected results in this tournament.
Glad the All blacks won.

rosequartz Sat 24-Oct-15 23:35:45

Interesting? hmm

Well, that's an interesting word grin

I hope they get thrashed

JessM Mon 26-Oct-15 15:01:02

Yes-haa. Nigel Owen has been given the honour of refereeing the Final. I'm sure Wales is proud of him.

rosequartz Mon 26-Oct-15 15:07:34

An Antipodean final.

With some Welsh for good measure smile

rosequartz Sat 31-Oct-15 18:43:41

Thank goodness that's over!!

Paloma Faith singing I mean.

No seriously; a good match, if the Wallabies had played in the first half as well as in the second it may have been a lot closer.
Congratulations All Blacks
Well played Wallabies
And well done Nigel Owens

J52 Sat 31-Oct-15 18:53:36

What a match! I'm exhausted, I feel like I was playing as well!grin

Two great teams. Pleased NZ won, though!

x

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 01-Nov-15 01:06:21

Cracking final and hats off to the referee and his team. So pleased for the All Blacks and I felt like I was watching some of the greatest players of this generation. At certain times in sport an exceptional team comes along and NZ were one of those teams. Felt sorry for the Aussies and all credit to their coach for praising NZ in the post match interviews. Great tournament.

JessM Sun 01-Nov-15 19:34:22

It was an exceptional match. The Nonu try and the final try - from the far end of the pitch in the last minutes of the game were fantastic. Pleased for NZ - it really matters to them while the Aussies are keen on such a range of sports that it is less of a big deal there.
And Dan Carter finishes his international career looking even more handsome than when he started it.
And our boy Nige did great. smile

rosequartz Sun 01-Nov-15 20:08:47

Pleased for NZ - it really matters to them while the Aussies are keen on such a range of sports that it is less of a big deal there.
Oh no, JessM the Aussies hate losing!! Although I thought they were very gracious in defeat.

And did you see this - Sonny Bill Williams giving his medal to a young fan. What a star!
www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/oct/31/sonny-bill-williams-world-cup-winners-medal-14-year-old-fan

rosequartz Sun 01-Nov-15 20:09:38

I agree about Dan Carter, loved watching him

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 01-Nov-15 20:10:04

Is it over now please?

rosequartz Sun 01-Nov-15 20:16:03

jings you mean you don't like to watch a game played by men with odd shaped balls?
shock

J52 Sun 01-Nov-15 20:44:34

The 6 Nations start on Feb. 6th. Whoopee! More thighs to enjoy!

X