Gransnet forums

Sport

Amazing Olympics

(142 Posts)
LullyDully Fri 12-Aug-16 08:35:37

We seem to have a few moans about the Olympics on various threads, plus our own gransnet games which I am enjoying. Could this be a positive thread about Rio? We don't have one so far.

I can not be on my own enjoying the diving and particularly the amazing gymnasts. Cycling is a bit tedious but can't wait for the athletics.

GandTea Fri 12-Aug-16 08:41:37

Great coverage of less popular sports on line. Am I being obsessive watching TV and laptop at the same time ?

Mumsy Fri 12-Aug-16 08:43:41

Ive been dipping in and out to catch the sports Im interested in and have been enjoying it.

Mumsy Fri 12-Aug-16 08:44:50

thats why we have two eyes GandTea one for the tv one for the computer.

LullyDully Fri 12-Aug-16 10:02:56

The Olympics make me realise that these people give their lives to their sport. I can not imagine that type.of dedicated. My cousin swam competitively in the 60s and she said she was finished at 16. Now they go on much longer. She never swims now. Hard to understand.

ninathenana Fri 12-Aug-16 10:08:12

Our whole household (4 adults) were sat waiting in great expectation of the men's rugby sevens last night.
We were very disappointed.
Have really enjoyed the gymnastics.

gettingonabit Fri 12-Aug-16 10:08:52

It's all brilliant. I'm not keen on some things, but particularly enjoy the gymnastics, the swimming, the rowing and the cycling. I watched both road races for 6 hours!

Can't wait for the athletics, and particularly the contribution of the great Michael Johnson.

Tizliz Fri 12-Aug-16 10:13:21

I was watching Andy Murray on the red button and the archery on the internet at the same time. Then OH came home and I missed both Andy's winning game and the GB's losing archery set.

The gymnastics has been good and more to go.

annodomini Fri 12-Aug-16 11:45:36

As I'm not very mobile at the moment, I'm enjoying the wall-to-wall coverage, though I change channels when boxing comes on. Disappointing though the result of the Rugby final was, at least our boys came away with a silver medal which is a great achievement considering the slick passing and off-loading demonstrated by the wonderful Fijians. Looking forward, with fingers and toes crossed, to the heptathlon. Wouldn't it be wonderful to see Jess and Kat on the podium together!

Charleygirl Fri 12-Aug-16 12:08:20

I do not have a red button but I have watched what I have wanted to on the whole but I am really looking forward to next week, I love watching athletics.

I will be shouting at Andy to win his next match.

LullyDully Sat 13-Aug-16 08:26:17

We.watched Katarina Johnson Thomson( hope that's right)doing her high jump yesterday. She just flew over with that lovely smile and her school girl plaits. Both her and the Italian athlete were cheering each other on genuinely as they attempted the highest jump of 2metres 2. Wonderful and true sportsmanship.

Also enjoyed the Enormous French judo man who just seemed to lie on top of his opponent until he won.

That graceful horse doing the dressage was impressive too. The Olympics give us a chance to see unusual sports on TV.

Athletics now, love it. Never did it myself we just did rounders and tennis at the grammar as I think we.were young ladies.!!!!! There are more opportunities now for the young to get involved than we ever had.

Anniebach Sat 13-Aug-16 08:41:07

I am loving every minute of it.

Nannylovesshopping Sat 13-Aug-16 09:29:24

Am on hols with family in Devon, walking, swimming, surfing, and many pasties, brilliant olympics on telly in evening, what a fab holidaygrin

LullyDully Sat 13-Aug-16 17:47:53

I like the timing of these Olympics, makes for a good evening. Come on Murray.

gettingonabit Sat 13-Aug-16 17:54:40

Really looking forward to tonight. Not sure if I should have a nap first....

shandi6570 Sat 13-Aug-16 17:56:10

Although I don't watch the Olympics I do look at the headlines to see how GB is getting on and I am over the moon that our wonderful Great Britain team is doing so well, just what we need to get some patriotism and pride back in our lives after all the doom and gloom following the referendum.

Anniebach Sat 13-Aug-16 18:00:22

Hope Bolt wins his third gold

gettingonabit Sat 13-Aug-16 18:05:11

He looked brilliant in the heats, annie. I think he will.

whitewave Sat 13-Aug-16 18:15:36

Our cyclists -yeah!
Our rowers - yeah!
Our divers - yeah!
Our swimmers - yeah!
Our tennis finalist -yeah!
Fingers crossed for Innes, Mowlam and Rutherford - yeah!

LullyDully Sat 13-Aug-16 20:27:32

As we lived in Jamaica for 6 years , we support them if a Brit isn't in contention. I do like Bolt, so talented and such a character.

gettingonabit Sat 13-Aug-16 20:36:55

lully how the heck do Jamaica do it? So many brilliant athletes...

Jalima Sat 13-Aug-16 21:06:37

Fast twitch muscles, apparently gettingonabit, there was a programme about it a few years ago.

www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/reviews/the-bolt-supremacy-inside-jamaicas-sprint-factory-by-richard-moore-book-review-how-a-caribbean-10380400.html

GandTea Sat 13-Aug-16 21:30:30

Why are there no black cyclists?

LullyDully Sat 13-Aug-16 21:41:06

Well done our women cyclists.

annodomini Sat 13-Aug-16 22:13:49

What does everyone think of those smock type garments our winners wear to receive their medals? To me they look rather sloppy. What's wrong with a well-fitting track-suit? I hear that Stella McCarthy designed the smocks.