Gransnet forums

Sport

How Much?!!

(84 Posts)
NfkDumpling Mon 15-Aug-16 22:30:23

Is 347 million just a bit too much to invest in these Olympics? It's very nice 'Team GB' getting all these medals but could some of this money have been better spent propping up the NHS for example?

NfkDumpling Sun 21-Aug-16 09:10:20

I like that idea MOnica.

M0nica Thu 18-Aug-16 20:33:47

Except that the poorer countries would not have the resources to properly use and maintain all these new facilities and they would join the increasing number of decaying white elephant projects that litter these countries, a burden on their resources.

Better still scale the Olympics right down, spread the different disciplines across many countries. One country run the equestrian events, another the swimming, but all happening at the same time.
Each country need invest money only in one discipline, so more of the poorer countries would have an opportunity to stage one discipline in their country because it would be lest costly.

At the same time there would be less need for the huge expensive infrastructure projects that benefit the countries concerned far less than promised. How many of the flats in the athletes village in London are social housing?

They could cutback on those hugely expensive opening and closing events and the costs of the huge teams of freeloaders on the Olympic committees and in national governments that use the Olympics as an excuse for freebie holidays paid for by the Olympics organisations and the home governments.

Jane10 Thu 18-Aug-16 20:25:28

Good idea. And make all athletes be true amateurs.

Nampam Thu 18-Aug-16 19:54:38

Why not turn the funding the other way round. Choose a poorer country to hold the Olympic Games then the richer countries could fund the building of the sports facilities which would then be available after the Games for the use of the people of that country. That way, the poorer countries will benefit from wonderful facilities which they could never afford anyway. It would probably cost less for the richer countries to do this than to hold the Games themselves.

Jalima Wed 17-Aug-16 20:35:04

I know wink

Jane10 Wed 17-Aug-16 20:29:07

I meant that each medal won by a UK athlete cost that!

Jalima Wed 17-Aug-16 20:24:36

I could have wrapped some chocolate ones up in bronze, silver and gold paper cheaper than that

Jane10 Wed 17-Aug-16 20:21:59

I read today that each medal cost £5million.

Jalima Wed 17-Aug-16 20:05:43

The article states that sport gets 20% - but that is sport overall, many, many projects, not just funding the would-be Olympians.

Jalima Wed 17-Aug-16 20:04:01

You would think from some posts that all the lottery money went on training Olympic athletes! In fact, it is quite a low percentage £347 million over 4 years.
(if anyone would like to work it out, too tired tonight grin)

A year in numbers:
From total ticket sales of £7,595 million in the year ending 31 March 2016:

£1,901 million was raised for National Lottery projects
£4,198 million was paid to players in prizes
£911 million went to the Government in Lottery Duty
£333 million was earned by retailers in commission

www.national-lottery.co.uk/life-changing/where-the-money-goes

M0nica Wed 17-Aug-16 19:39:48

Sorry, £12 over a four year period, £3 a year, peanuts.

M0nica Wed 17-Aug-16 19:36:55

£347 million over 4 years. That is roughly £13 a year per household, that does not seem unreasonable. The money is all 'donated' willingly by lottery players. I cannot see the problem.

Our athletes have the success they do because they devote their whole lives 24/7 to achieving the levels they need to be winners, or even chosen to compete. If other people in other walks of life put even half the time and effort in to achieving their personal bests in whatever their they follow, what success this country would have in the world.

Most athletes have a very short life at the top, so they are receiving funding and being supported for a relatively short time. After which, like the rest of us, they have to work their own way in the world.

Firecracker123 Wed 17-Aug-16 12:41:28

Well done Team GB second in the medal table, we are the best in Europe. Worth every penny of lottery funding. Fantasticgrin

gillybob Wed 17-Aug-16 10:10:38

I am not sure of the benefits enjoyed by hosting the Olympics. Maybe there are figures available? But let us not pretend that the LONDON Olympics offered any benefit to the UK at a whole.

Maggiemaybe Wed 17-Aug-16 09:58:30

Surely that wasn't meant to be taken literally, peaseblossom? Are you having a larf?

durhamjen Tue 16-Aug-16 22:33:47

This is on the sport forum, peaseblossom.
Have you strayed?
Such a pleasant name, too. One of Titania's fairies, I believe.
You are supposed to be amenable and do as you are asked.

phoenix Tue 16-Aug-16 22:15:19

Lottery funding of anything is optional, as in you choose to buy a ticket or not, funding the NHS and other things such as pensions etc is not.

rafichagran Tue 16-Aug-16 22:11:25

Vile comments Peaceblossom The Olypics are about all Nations competing together. Totally unnessary to say that in this thread.

GillT57 Tue 16-Aug-16 21:48:52

peaseblossom if you are not drunk or a troll or having a joke, then you should be ashamed of yourself, Disgusting comments, and a frightening glimpse into the mindset of some of the Brexit voters. Now, back to the grown up and polite comments please

Jalima Tue 16-Aug-16 21:26:26

Um confused
Not sure what that has to do with the Olympics?
Unless you are meaning immigrants like the wonderful Mo Farrah who I believe came to the UK when he was a child from Somalia and is now proud to represent Britain (and we are mightily proud of him too!).

Jalima Tue 16-Aug-16 21:20:33

Hear hear GillT57

Peaseblossom Tue 16-Aug-16 21:18:55

They shouldn't have to put up income tax, they should stop giving benefits to the many people who are faking disabilities and those lazy people who say it's not worth their while getting a job because they can get more money on benefits. Have they no pride?! Stop giving child benefit after the first child. Why should people have to fund your children? Maybe it will stop people breeding like rabbits. Stop letting thousands of people into the country and giving them benefits and letting them use our NHS which is at breaking point.

GillT57 Tue 16-Aug-16 20:58:50

Jalima agree with you about the swimmer's parents, lots of sacrifices made and to be honest I think that some of the comments on here are frankly nasty. These athletes, irrespective of whether they went to state or independent schools deserve our support. I buy the occasional lottery ticket and I am quite happy for my small amount to contribute to funding these youngsters. If you dont wish to do so, then dont buy a ticket. You would all feel differently if it was your grandchild running their heart out, so lighten up. And no, I wouldnt buy a lottery ticket to fund your new hip,that is the responsibility of govt funding, not of the lottery fund.

durhamjen Tue 16-Aug-16 20:50:32

fullfact.org/health/has-london-2012-olympics-had-sporting-legacy-uk/

Apparently Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland people participate more in sport since the London Olympics, but not England.
Less well off groups are less likely to participate, so susied is right.

NfkDumpling Tue 16-Aug-16 20:46:13

Thanks chrissyh for the link. Most interesting.

Our district council area doesn't seem to have been very demanding. The lottery funded equipment for two community gyms, a new table tennis table for a high school and some new mats for two short mats bowls clubs.

Sports England funded a rescue boat for a small sailing club, a new boiler to heat a school swimming pool and money towards a replacement rowing (racing) boat. Not exactly inspiring.

I suppose most of the Olympic money goes towards paying the athletes and funding their expenses.