Gransnet forums

Sport

Emma Raducanu

(119 Posts)
Grandmadinosaur Mon 06-Sep-21 21:36:43

Has anyone just watched her tonight at the US Open? What an amazing talent and through to the last eight.

Calendargirl Fri 10-Sep-21 07:17:11

First item on the radio news at 7 this morning.

Great news, but please, please, don’t build up the expectations so much for her. Such a lot of pressure when it’s saying how long it is since Britain was in a Grand Slam Final, blah, blah, blah. No wonder players often seem to crack at the end.

Grandmadinosaur Fri 10-Sep-21 07:42:23

I know what you’re saying Calendargirl but let’s enjoy this amazing result.

I intended getting up to watch -I woke about 1.30 turned over too early to get up and sit through all the pre match chat and next thing I knew it was 4.30 ?

DH shouted up the stairs about 20 mins ago if I wanted to know the result. I said no but looked online myself. So,so happy for her and her opponent in the final Lleylla ? sorry surname escapes me.

Grandmadinosaur Fri 10-Sep-21 07:43:28

Leyla Fernandez her opponent.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Sep-21 07:53:22

Blimey

Pittcity Fri 10-Sep-21 08:00:21

US Open website says the time of the final is TBA.
Let's hope it's so us Brits can stay awake to cheer Emma on!

TillyTrotter Fri 10-Sep-21 08:03:06

I hope she goes all the way and wins it!
The first all teenager women’s final since 1999 at US Open.

Just seeing Emma’s smiley face makes me smile. ?

Grandma70s Fri 10-Sep-21 08:10:25

Calendargirl

First item on the radio news at 7 this morning.

Great news, but please, please, don’t build up the expectations so much for her. Such a lot of pressure when it’s saying how long it is since Britain was in a Grand Slam Final, blah, blah, blah. No wonder players often seem to crack at the end.

Absolutely agree. Let’s hope her common sense preserves her from being too affected by the fuss.

She’s also just done her A levels. I thought they would just be PE or something, but no. She has an A* in maths and an A in economics.

Grandmadinosaur Fri 10-Sep-21 08:52:01

I heard on BBC breakfast the final is 9pm UK time tomorrow evening.
It would be lovely if it was shown on mainstream TV so that everyone has access to watch it.

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Sep-21 08:56:44

Hello
You can get a 30 day free trial for Prime Video (and watch Jeremy Clarkson’s Farm while you’re at it smile)

Smileless2012 Fri 10-Sep-21 08:57:35

An amazing achievement. Fingers crossed for the final.

Jaxjacky Fri 10-Sep-21 09:00:36

We will be watching tomorrow, a remarkable achievement for her to get this far.

Grannybags Fri 10-Sep-21 09:05:49

Exciting isn't it! She seems so lovely

dragonfly46 Fri 10-Sep-21 09:36:50

It is very exciting. Good news for a change!!

JenniferEccles Fri 10-Sep-21 09:46:27

A great achievement!
The final of course will be her toughest test as the Canadian teenage opponent is also flying.
Then there is the mental aspect of the enormity of the occasion.

A Grand Slam final at eighteen years old! Wow!

MayBee70 Fri 10-Sep-21 10:16:03

She must have a very analytical mind to get an A* in maths. It must help her game in some ways I would imagine. She’s a total breath of fresh air.

vegansrock Fri 10-Sep-21 10:32:48

It’s great that so many of Britain’s sporting successes are from diverse backgrounds too.

westendgirl Fri 10-Sep-21 10:44:51

Grandma 70. Have you seen the papers and/or syllabus for sports science. ? I can assure you it involves a tremendous amount of work and is not an "or something ".How do I know ? my grandson took it as one of his 3 before entry to Loughborough university. He is now waiting for the results of his masters degree in education .

FannyCornforth Fri 10-Sep-21 10:53:56

One of my best friends did sports science too. He played Cricket for Derbyshire, was a brilliant primary teacher, and is now studying for an MA in psychotherapy

Yammy Fri 10-Sep-21 11:07:19

Bluebellwould

She’s wonderful and seems such a pleasant girl.

I’m sadly waiting for the press to obliterate her and cause vast problems for her. They started at Wimbledon heaping so much pressure on her, they had her winning Wimbledon after she got through the first round! No wonder she slightly crumbled.
I hope her parents and coach can keep her safe from the intense pressure. I do wish they weren’t made to give so many press conferences. I’m sure many of us don’t actually need to hear her thoughts on everything, it’s just the sponsors pressing for their pound of flesh. I wish her a long and happy career.

I couldn't agree more

Zoejory Fri 10-Sep-21 13:06:41

There's murmurings that Amazon Prime may make the match free to view for all.

Pittcity Fri 10-Sep-21 13:14:24

www.radiotimes.com/tv/sport/tennis/us-open-tennis-2021-watch-tv-live-stream/

The BBC have obtained the rights to show highlights on Sunday.

Zoejory Fri 10-Sep-21 13:18:34

Shame the BBC didn't get the rights to show it live!

I'm not a fan of watching recorded sports. We know the result.

I think it's due to start sometime between 9 and 9.30 pm.

As mentioned Amazon Prime have mentioned showing it free but there is always the option to sign up for a month's free viewing. No need to continue with the subscription.

Pittcity Fri 10-Sep-21 13:20:58

I'm looking forward to the men's doubles final which is today at 5pm our time. British interest on both sides!

MayBee70 Fri 10-Sep-21 15:31:12

If you get a free months viewing with Amazon prime does is it easy to cancel after a month? I’ve heard that once you’re with Amazon prime they make it difficult to cancel.

MayBeMaw Sat 11-Sep-21 08:20:40

I’ll be watching tonight- who else will?
My Amazon Prime will earn its keep for once