Gransnet forums

Sport

Djokovic speaks out

(90 Posts)
Sarnia Tue 15-Feb-22 09:01:04

Novak Djokovic has finally spoken out about whether or not he is vaccinated against the virus. He hasn't had the jab nor does he intend to get one in the future. As a world class athlete he says he needs to know what he is putting into his body and researches into everything he takes, even water. So strongly does he feel about this that if the French Open and Wimbledon are closed to him he would accept that even if that means his illustrious career comes to a halt. He said he wasn't one of the anti-vaxxers which I was pleased he said, otherwise he could become their poster boy. He has the right to make the decisions he has. What he doesn't have is the right to spread it.

Luckygirl3 Tue 15-Feb-22 09:15:19

I agree. He can choose whether to have it or not; but he cannot be so naive as to not be aware that the anti-vax movement with latch onto him as a poster boy. He should keep his lip zipped.

He is young and very fit and unlikely to die of covid - others are not so.

Luckygirl3 Tue 15-Feb-22 09:15:48

will - not with.

LilacChaser Tue 15-Feb-22 09:36:11

He should have spoken out sooner because his comments came across really well. He's sticking up for his principles even at risk of his tennis career. Good for him!

Ailidh Tue 15-Feb-22 09:41:45

I read the BBC bit about what he said - he's not ruling it out in the future, which to me sounds like he's happy for the rest of us to be Guinea pigs.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am a very happy vaxxer with confidence in the system that designed and rolled out the vaccinations but I find I mind those opposed for whatever reason to having it themselves considering me their Guinea pigs.

Witzend Tue 15-Feb-22 09:41:50

Luckygirl3

I agree. He can choose whether to have it or not; but he cannot be so naive as to not be aware that the anti-vax movement with latch onto him as a poster boy. He should keep his lip zipped.

He is young and very fit and unlikely to die of covid - others are not so.

I’m not sure that being young and fit is any guarantee.
A 40-ish ‘iron man’ died of COVID, and a supremely fit 50ish friend of a dd - who swam 1 km every morning among other things - was ill enough to need to spend several days in hospital.

The former was unvaccinated from choice, the latter because it was before the vaccine was available.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Feb-22 10:30:25

I listened to the interview.

He is not someone to whom I can warm, in fact I dislike him, but I was impressed by his principled stand.

Of course I can see many issues with his stance.

Smileless2012 Tue 15-Feb-22 10:42:40

I was surprisingly impressed because I don't like him either. That said, what he's said in his interview doesn't correspond with his determination to play in Aus.

His stance together with his parents insistence that he was being badly treated in terms of his accommodation, has IMO caused further damage to an already less than favourable public opinion of him.

His claim that he tested positive on December 16th, and didn't find out the result until the following day, so explaining his attendance at an awards ceremony is questionable.

He's extremely wealthy and no matter where he plays can afford to rent accommodation, complete with tennis courts to enable him to self isolate for a country's stipulated length of time, before any tournament.

Why doesn't he just do that in future if that's what's required?

I find it hard to believe that such a competitive and talented sportsman, would effectively ban himself from international competition when other options are available.

Sparklefizz Tue 15-Feb-22 11:12:42

I didn't like him before the Aussie muddle... I like him even less now.

He is certainly incredibly stubborn and bloody-minded to want to cut off his nose to spite his face.

Gwyneth Tue 15-Feb-22 11:19:54

Whether he intends it or not he will be a ‘poster boy’ for the anti-vax organisation.

Peasblossom Tue 15-Feb-22 11:29:35

His PR team have been working hard to repair the damage.

I guess it’s taken a couple of weeks to coach his media performance.

Kali2 Tue 15-Feb-22 11:37:07

He can do what he wants and live with the consequences. What he can't do, is what he did with OZ and cheat and lie about his covid status.

maddyone Tue 15-Feb-22 11:42:15

I’m not impressed by what he has now said. I think Peasblossom is right. He has been coached by his PR team. I don’t care if he never plays tennis again. I didn’t like him before Covid because he came across as extremely arrogant and entitled. A leopard doesn’t change it’s spots. He’s still arrogant and entitled, he just wants to try to make the public more sympathetic towards him.

nanna8 Tue 15-Feb-22 11:50:14

I agree, it sounded as though he was quoting his lawyer or advisor. Perhaps he wants to retire and this is one way to do it.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 15-Feb-22 13:17:55

It’s a shame he didn’t say this much earlier.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 15-Feb-22 14:35:36

Why on earth has the BBC given him so much prominence today? It is madness.

Galaxy Tue 15-Feb-22 17:25:20

Because he is incredibly famous.

Iam64 Tue 15-Feb-22 17:34:42

maddyone

I’m not impressed by what he has now said. I think Peasblossom is right. He has been coached by his PR team. I don’t care if he never plays tennis again. I didn’t like him before Covid because he came across as extremely arrogant and entitled. A leopard doesn’t change it’s spots. He’s still arrogant and entitled, he just wants to try to make the public more sympathetic towards him.

I heard part of the statement or was it an interview. I remain unimpressed. I see him as egotistical and entitled, rather than principled.
I wonder if he was immunised as most children/adults are. He’s played all over the world, no doubt in countries where you’re advised to have certain immunisations.

Mollygo Tue 15-Feb-22 19:19:33

Whitewavemark2

Why on earth has the BBC given him so much prominence today? It is madness.

No idea why the BBC are giving him such prominence.
Well done Australia, but do you think France or the UK will take the same stance?

GrannyLaine Tue 15-Feb-22 19:34:49

Kali2

He can do what he wants and live with the consequences. What he can't do, is what he did with OZ and cheat and lie about his covid status.

Exactly this.
And I agree with Peasblossom that this smacks of a massive damage limitation exercise.

Oldbat1 Tue 15-Feb-22 19:43:41

I don’t have a problem over him not being vaxed - his decision. What I really detest though is anyone trying to avoid systems put in place to safeguard all of us. I couldn’t care if he never plays another tennis match again. He seems to have spent lots of time being coached with how to answer the press over this.

Iam64 Tue 15-Feb-22 19:45:24

I agree, his responses are those of someone who has been well coached. Sickening

Barmeyoldbat Tue 15-Feb-22 20:24:43

I am happy that he can afford it

valdali Tue 15-Feb-22 20:54:37

If he really doesn't want to have the vaccine that's of course his informed decision but he did try to lever himself into Australia as if the rules didn't apply to him, which isn't a very principled approach. I always like the way he speaks after matches, not so sure he's been coached for this interview. I would be sad if he didn't compete in the other Slams this year though. Just when it finally looks as though someone younger might break through.- it would make a poor end to such a splendid 20 years of mens' tennis.

Pepper59 Tue 15-Feb-22 21:38:59

I really don't care, he sounds like footballers. Overpaid and full of it.