Gransnet forums

Sport

Djokovic speaks out

(91 Posts)
Sarnia Tue 15-Feb-22 09:01:04

Novak Djokovic has finally spoken out about whether or not he is vaccinated against the virus. He hasn't had the jab nor does he intend to get one in the future. As a world class athlete he says he needs to know what he is putting into his body and researches into everything he takes, even water. So strongly does he feel about this that if the French Open and Wimbledon are closed to him he would accept that even if that means his illustrious career comes to a halt. He said he wasn't one of the anti-vaxxers which I was pleased he said, otherwise he could become their poster boy. He has the right to make the decisions he has. What he doesn't have is the right to spread it.

Callistemon21 Tue 15-Feb-22 22:24:25

Kali2

He can do what he wants and live with the consequences. What he can't do, is what he did with OZ and cheat and lie about his covid status.

I agree.

However, it's also true that Australia handled this very badly.

Was he kept in a quarantine hotel or a hostel for asylum seekers because he claimed some people had been in the hotel where he stayed for years.
Surely he was in a quarantine hotel?

nanna8 Wed 16-Feb-22 04:14:17

He's not the brightest spark in the fire even though he is so good at tennis.

Spice101 Wed 16-Feb-22 05:39:04

*Was he kept in a quarantine hotel or a hostel for asylum seekers because he claimed some people had been in the hotel where he stayed for years.
Surely he was in a quarantine hotel?*

In this case Callistemon they are one and the same.

Unfortunately there are asylum seekers who have been there for years. An absolute disgrace IMO. Either deport them or accept them into the community as residents within a reasonable time of arriving.

vegansrock Wed 16-Feb-22 06:22:01

He didn’t complain about the conditions for himself - he did say others had been there for years and his sympathies were with them. I think it was a detention centre. I like him more after this interview, and he is a great player I’m sure he can afford to retire.

Katie59 Wed 16-Feb-22 08:32:29

I have no issue with Djokovic, he chose not to have the vaccine, which is his right and is willing to accept whatever consequences he has to suffer.

Nothing to do with antivax campaign, vaccines undoubtedly saved thousands.

Mollygo Wed 16-Feb-22 08:44:08

Novaks parents complained about the conditions where their precious boy was obliged to stay.

Shelflife Wed 16-Feb-22 09:16:37

Novak, a most appropriate name! He is prepared to take the consequences of not being vaccinated - his decision. I don’t agree , he is relying on the majority of the population to stem the pandemic. How very courageous of him !!!

Calendargirl Wed 16-Feb-22 09:19:36

Our Health Minister was interviewed and said that although Novak didn’t want the jab himself, he was quite happy for his entourage to be vaccinated, allowing him to carry on with entering tournaments around the world.

“Do as I say, not as I do!”

Sparklefizz Wed 16-Feb-22 09:40:32

In other words everyone else can protect me but I'm not going to protect them.

Janetashbolt Wed 16-Feb-22 11:22:29

Of course he can afford not to work again

red1 Wed 16-Feb-22 11:35:16

he has never been generally liked ,this will add to add to it.Sounds like he has some idea of purity about his body.With a polluted world how can anyone not ingest some form of toxic substance?
from the air we breathe etc, maybe he needs to live on a desert
island? but then there will be plastic being washed up each day
on the beach.

Sharina Wed 16-Feb-22 11:45:34

I was irritated as I so often am by zealots. Being brought up in a church who believed that vaccinations were not for us, therefore leaving us to be exposed to all the diseases that could so easily be prevented, I have no patience with this nonsense. I’ve noticed that sooner or later, anti vaxxers seem to become conspiracy theorists and resent impositions on “their” freedoms. Well, I resent impositions on my freedoms too. And fear for my life because of people who refuse to be “told” what to do with “their” bodies. In fact, I am furious with those nhs workers who think it is acceptable to refuse vaccinations while at the same time condemning us who do not follow the lockdown regulations etc. I’m happy for Novak to never play again. His choice.

Hattiehelga Wed 16-Feb-22 12:09:08

I think it would be quite reasonable of any future opponents to refuse to play against him as he could potentially be a risk to them, their team and indeed, their family.

Daisend1 Wed 16-Feb-22 12:19:50

Do the' anti vax' in society ever stop and consider why life is beginning to return to a life we knew before covid appeared?

Sawsage2 Wed 16-Feb-22 12:20:16

He's a Selfish b......d!

crazygranny Wed 16-Feb-22 12:33:16

Unfortunately, his statements will be used as proof by anti-vaxxers whether or not he likes that.

Nannina Wed 16-Feb-22 12:36:51

He has the right to refuse the vaccine just as countries have the right to set laws about who they let in. He claims not to be an anti vaccer but he certainly has become their poster boy. If he has to miss one of the major tournaments he’ll become their martyr.

Mollygo Wed 16-Feb-22 12:43:13

Their poster boy Nannina- yes indeed. Novak’s name is so approriate!??

HannahLoisLuke Wed 16-Feb-22 12:45:57

I’m not taken in by his statement that he’ll sacrifice his appearances at Wimbledon and the French Open as we all know that restrictions for non vaccinated will be gone by then.
I haven’t forgotten either that he was out and about in Serbia and Spain having tested positive, then tried to lie his way into Australia. Cynical and manipulative.

Markoni40 Wed 16-Feb-22 12:52:24

I fully agree and support with all he said! It is his right and choice to choose what he puts in his body and he is taking all consequences for it. Considering how many young sportsman died recently or experienced heart problems following vaccination, I do not blame him at all. Covid can be spread weather you are vaccinated or not and therefore he is not a bigger risk than anyone else. For the idea that he is using this to retire - this is completely against what he wanted to achieve and he was very eager to compete and break all the records, which he would undoubtedly do if he was able to compete. And for his personality, he is extremely, smart, kind and generous man and everything but spoiled and entitled. He eared all he has by his own pair of hands and thus can do whatever he wants with it. Stating that he is arrogant and selfish is completely false-hearted - unless you actually had a chance to meet him and experience it yourself.

Junesun Wed 16-Feb-22 12:55:02

Exactly my thoughts sparklefizz. He is cutting off his nose to spite his face. Well..his loss.

yaiyai Wed 16-Feb-22 13:12:09

I had never had a vaccination in my life until eighteen months ago when I had my first flu vaccine. Yes, not even in childhood as my mother didn’t believe in them. I am almost seventy two. Do you suppose I am to blame for all those that died of flu previously? No one accused me of spreading and infecting others. I do not agree in forcing anyone to be vaccinated and we are already going down a slippery slope of government control.

Callistemon21 Wed 16-Feb-22 13:15:49

Hllo Markoni40

You're not Marko Djokovic are you?

Happysexagenarian Wed 16-Feb-22 13:16:38

Sawsage2

He's a Selfish b......d!

I agree! Selfish, arrogant, entitled and stupid! He should be ashamed of himself. I hope he never plays again. He won't be missed.

Callistemon21 Wed 16-Feb-22 13:17:36

Spice101

*Was he kept in a quarantine hotel or a hostel for asylum seekers because he claimed some people had been in the hotel where he stayed for years.
Surely he was in a quarantine hotel?*

In this case Callistemon they are one and the same.

Unfortunately there are asylum seekers who have been there for years. An absolute disgrace IMO. Either deport them or accept them into the community as residents within a reasonable time of arriving.

I didnt realise they used the same hotels.

I know just a couple of the hotels that are being used as quarantine hotels and they don't house asylum seekers.