Gransnet forums

Sport

Djokovic speaks out

(91 Posts)
Sarnia Tue 15-Feb-22 09:01:04

Novak Djokovic has finally spoken out about whether or not he is vaccinated against the virus. He hasn't had the jab nor does he intend to get one in the future. As a world class athlete he says he needs to know what he is putting into his body and researches into everything he takes, even water. So strongly does he feel about this that if the French Open and Wimbledon are closed to him he would accept that even if that means his illustrious career comes to a halt. He said he wasn't one of the anti-vaxxers which I was pleased he said, otherwise he could become their poster boy. He has the right to make the decisions he has. What he doesn't have is the right to spread it.

Markoni40 Wed 16-Feb-22 18:08:10

4allweknow Well, this is not correct...people should really check the facts before they state their opinions. I have closely followed the case as I think it was a blunt violation of human rights from Australian government...The exception rule stated that who had Covid in the recent period can apply for exception, and he did. The exception was given based on anonymous data submission and based on that he applied and received visa from local embassy - all within rules. Then Australian government decided that they want to show off on his example what happens to those that are not vaccinated...Note that he was not the only player with same type of exception and the others were allowed to play. I have never seen this kind of violation of human rights in, what is considered, first world country....It is just very sad that other players didn't stand up for him and refused to play like he would have certainly done for them.

Mollygo Wed 16-Feb-22 18:52:50

Proof of your final sentence?
His selfish attitude towards flouting rules doesn’t exactly support that does it?

Markoni40 Wed 16-Feb-22 19:33:16

Well, just to mention a few:
1) campaign he is leading to redistribute pay from top players to lower ranked players in tennis world (taking money practically from his own pocket)
2) campaign he is leading for equal gender pay in sport
3) significant financial support he donated to Italy and other countries to fight with Covid
4) significant financial support he donated to Australia to fight last year fires (nice how they pay it back..)
5) many other charities and causes
6) his foundation which supports children worldwide....

so not sure all this could be done by selfish, arrogant, etc. person like you picture him... check your facts..

Zoejory Wed 16-Feb-22 19:37:47

Most top tennis players do a great deal for charity. Do some research.

Not all are deciding not to have the vaccine though. And most of them are pleasant and don't sulk when the crowd cheers his opponent in a match.

I've seen him play many a time. Great player. Unfortunate demeanour. He is rather unhappy that most matches see his opponent being the crowd's favourite. Maybe it's due to the fact they don't snarl and growl and glare.

Smileless2012 Wed 16-Feb-22 19:43:02

"Great player. Unfortunate demeanour" yes on both points Zoejory and unfortunately this recent sequence of events has done nothing to improve some people's opinion of him.

Markoni40 Wed 16-Feb-22 20:00:34

Zoejory

Most top tennis players do a great deal for charity. Do some research.

Not all are deciding not to have the vaccine though. And most of them are pleasant and don't sulk when the crowd cheers his opponent in a match.

I've seen him play many a time. Great player. Unfortunate demeanour. He is rather unhappy that most matches see his opponent being the crowd's favourite. Maybe it's due to the fact they don't snarl and growl and glare.

they do indeed.. but he gave the most.. and not all of them stand for his peers or women in sport like he does

Zoejory Wed 16-Feb-22 20:07:16

Who says he gave the most? They tend to do these things privately.

Mollygo Wed 16-Feb-22 22:52:32

Markoni40, still waiting for your evidence that Novax would refuse to play if another player couldn’t play. He chose to break a rule denying other players the chance to play against him.
Interesting that you think giving money to a country for whatever reason means you should be allowed to flout the rules of that country.

Markoni40 Thu 17-Feb-22 13:34:46

Mollygo

Markoni40, still waiting for your evidence that Novax would refuse to play if another player couldn’t play. He chose to break a rule denying other players the chance to play against him.
Interesting that you think giving money to a country for whatever reason means you should be allowed to flout the rules of that country.

Mollygo I would never assume that giving donation to anyone or any country would make you eligible to break the rules. That would be a case of corruption, no? However, you incorrectly state that Djokovic didn't follow the rules of Australia. The Australian government persuaded a federal court to deport Djokovic not because he hadn’t had the jab (two independent panels cleared him to compete) but because his presence was, they argued, a threat to public health. If they could deport him on the bases of not following the rules, it would be their first and foremost argument. But they couldn't. He did follow the rules. As such I think it was ungrateful from Australian government to return a gift in this manner.

Regarding proof that he would refuse to play in support of his peers, as I said, it is my opinion based on his character and his actions so far, of which I provide a list already.

I think we all need to open our minds in judging people not by personal dislikes, but by fact, or not judge at all which is even better.

Janamax Thu 17-Feb-22 14:07:27

Personally, I think he has done a lot of damage in the fight against Covid-19. I think he is a selfish, privileged man who thinks he has the right to put other people's lives at risk for the sake of his sport. Whether you agree with Australia's quarantine rules or not, they ARE the rules and his obvious attempt to get around them shows a lack of respect for the health and well being of the people of Australia.

Mollygo Thu 17-Feb-22 14:13:46

Oh, Markoni40, it’s in your opinion. That’s fine.
It doesn’t match my opinion and it was you who mentioned the payment to Australia in your list of reasons, complete with a snide comment at the end which may have been yours not his, but certainly implied that Australia should do something in return-in this case, let him flout the rules. But that’s my opinion and it’s just as valid as yours

Janamax Thu 17-Feb-22 14:23:44

He was unvaccinated and Australia has strict rules that the unvaccinated visitors have to adhere no matter how famous they are. The Australian government could not risk letting him flout the rules otherwise there would have been an outcry of one rule for us and another rule for the rich and famous. Remember Dominic Cummings and Barnard Castle? Not to mention Boris Johnson and the now infamous Party gate.

AreWeThereYet Thu 17-Feb-22 15:33:35

but this past year it has been happening . . . 294 Athlete Cardiac Arrests and Serious Issues, 168 Dead, after having the COVID Shot

I was a bit surprised by those figures so I've been doing some research to check. Can you tell us where those figures came from?

Because all I can find is articles (media and science articles) that completely refute all the conspiracy theories about loads of athletes dying. In many cases these lists are simply lists of athletes who have died, many had not even been vaccinated. One list contained the name of an 82 year old ex basketball player who died 2 weeks after his vaccination. Of natural causes.

Markoni40 Fri 18-Feb-22 08:33:48

AreWeThereYet

^but this past year it has been happening . . . 294 Athlete Cardiac Arrests and Serious Issues, 168 Dead, after having the COVID Shot^

I was a bit surprised by those figures so I've been doing some research to check. Can you tell us where those figures came from?

Because all I can find is articles (media and science articles) that completely refute all the conspiracy theories about loads of athletes dying. In many cases these lists are simply lists of athletes who have died, many had not even been vaccinated. One list contained the name of an 82 year old ex basketball player who died 2 weeks after his vaccination. Of natural causes.

very sad report.. .if you read through details, only in athlete was not vaccinated while all others were vaccinated; I think 82 year old was added to the list because he sadly died shortly after receiving vaccine...

Mollygo Fri 18-Feb-22 09:24:38

The right to choose vaccination or not is there. Being allowed to choose which rules to follow, whether you are famous or not can never be right.