Gransnet forums

Sport

Competitive female cycling events reserved for females

(44 Posts)
Mollygo Fri 26-May-23 11:04:29

Transgender women will be banned from competing in British Cycling’s competitive women’s events in changes that will see the men’s category become an open one.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 26-May-23 17:53:05

Excellent. Let’s see it extended to all women’s sports.

BlueBelle Fri 26-May-23 17:58:49

Wow we all agree 👏👏👏

Aveline Fri 26-May-23 18:02:26

Hooray!

VioletSky Fri 26-May-23 18:03:18

They have done this incredibly respectfully and have added a new "open" category to allow transgender athletes to compete.

Exactly what quite a few of us have asked for, sport that is fair to women, or as they put it "those assigned female at birth' and sport that allows trans people to also compete

Very happy to hear this

Rosie51 Fri 26-May-23 18:07:04

Emily Bridges is doing the whole 'genocide' thing and that they're being banned from racing. Not true, there is now to be a female class and an open class for anybody, male or female. Emily can compete in the open class, but will probably not enjoy the same level of success. Transwoman Emily did say in interview some while ago on TV "I just want to race with the other females" and of course the interviewer didn't point out that Emily is a biological male, not female.
To equate genocide with having to race against your own sex class just demonstrates the total self-absorbtion and disregard for people who truly have been the victims of genocide.

Rosie51 Fri 26-May-23 18:09:33

I didn't see your post VioletSky as I was typing mine. I'm glad you appreciate that it does allow transgender cyclists to participate. They've said that any transmen who have not started testosterone can continue to compete in the female class which is totally fair.

Shelflife Fri 26-May-23 18:14:22

Not before time, my feelings are not hitting out at transgender people - genuine people need respect and support, however......... there seems to be an extreme hidden agenda for some people. Male bodies in female only areas - I think not !!!!!!!

Galaxy Fri 26-May-23 18:16:32

It's good news. Sharron Davies and Navratilova have worked hard to protect female sports.
The response to being told no is interesting to watch. Or perhaps scary is a better word.

Mollygo Fri 26-May-23 18:17:55

Emily Bridges will now be able to fulfil his desire to cycle in a Welsh jersey, as expressed in 2022, so a good result all round.

Spinnaker Fri 26-May-23 18:56:57

Mollygo

Emily Bridges will now be able to fulfil his desire to cycle in a Welsh jersey, as expressed in 2022, so a good result all round.

He will - let's see if he wins though wink

Riverwalk Fri 26-May-23 19:47:22

Galaxy

It's good news. Sharron Davies and Navratilova have worked hard to protect female sports.
The response to being told no is interesting to watch. Or perhaps scary is a better word.

Sharron was particularly brave as she's not a multi-millionaire with the security and protection that money can buy.

Galaxy Fri 26-May-23 19:49:03

Yes that's a good point riverwalk although I must admit to having house envy whenever I looked at her Twitter smile

DanniRae Sat 27-May-23 07:04:20

Very happy about this news!!

PamelaJ1 Sat 27-May-23 07:48:05

Spinnaker

Mollygo

He will - let's see if he wins though wink

Well I wonder how many will be racing against Emily?

NanaDana Sat 27-May-23 07:56:20

So good to see a ruling which is soundly based on common sense.

Mollygo Sat 27-May-23 09:24:04

PamelaJ1
Since EB can race in the open category, he’ll be up against the other males who want to race.
He’s in a difficult position. If he actually wins in the open category (against men) then it justifies what’s been said about the unfairness of TIM competing in female events.
If he takes testosterone to boost his chances of winning in the open category, is that a drug related offence?

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 27-May-23 09:29:32

I’m enjoying seeing EB being, rightly, referred to as ‘he’.

Curtaintwitcher Sat 27-May-23 09:29:34

Is the tide turning at last? Thank heaven there are still a few people who have the courage to protest at the ridiculous ideas being forced on us.