Gransnet forums

Sport

The 2023 Rugby World Cup

(36 Posts)
Callistemon21 Fri 08-Sep-23 20:16:05

And off we go with The Haka!!

Aveline Sun 22-Oct-23 11:12:06

My South African son in law was in tears of sheer joy (and probably relief too). I'm very happy for him but find it hard to understand the depth of feeling around a game.

annodomini Sun 22-Oct-23 11:28:36

It pains me (as a Scot!) to say that England deserved to win. The Springboks gave away so many points through penalties that their indiscipline was nearly their undoing. I'm sure the All Blacks will have taken note of that and will be quick to exploit it.

Callistemon21 Sun 22-Oct-23 11:31:35

I don't know what's going on half the time, it's a mystery, but it was quite exciting!

Callistemon21 Sat 28-Oct-23 21:29:18

Rugby was so much better before TMO.

The referee made a decision and that was it.

RosiesMaw Sat 28-Oct-23 21:59:37

Aveline

My South African son in law was in tears of sheer joy (and probably relief too). I'm very happy for him but find it hard to understand the depth of feeling around a game.

Oh Aveline !
And I always took you for an Edinburger!

Callistemon21 Sat 28-Oct-23 22:06:03

RosiesMaw Sun 29-Oct-23 00:22:19

Nail-biting again!
I have really enjoyed these last few weeks, all the more so when I had no particular loyalty to either side and could just enjoy the game.

Aveline Sun 29-Oct-23 05:58:03

Well my SA son in law is very happy at the result although it was only a win by a squeak. He was in NY on holiday and wore his SA rugby strip and soon found other fans too. They congregated in a sports bar. Atmosphere electric.
I tried to watch a bit but it just seemed like a series of fights with huge men collapsing on other huge men. Gave up watching. Too puzzling.

Callistemon21 Sun 29-Oct-23 11:09:13

Aveline

Well my SA son in law is very happy at the result although it was only a win by a squeak. He was in NY on holiday and wore his SA rugby strip and soon found other fans too. They congregated in a sports bar. Atmosphere electric.
I tried to watch a bit but it just seemed like a series of fights with huge men collapsing on other huge men. Gave up watching. Too puzzling.

It wasn't the best game I've ever watched and more as you describe it, Aveline

The first NZ try was disallowed for some reason (the rules are beyond my comprehension!) which was a pity.

Witzend Sun 29-Oct-23 11:17:56

I was pleased for South Africa. The country’s in a bit of a state, so it’s nice for them to have something to celebrate.