Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

What on earth to wear to wedding?

(35 Posts)
JammieB Fri 04-Jan-13 22:38:43

Right............just got an invitation to the wedding of a friends daughter, going to be in July, the bride and family are laid back and boho - wedding reception will be very shabby chic - under normal circumstances I would wear a smart outfit with a big hat but somehow feel this look will not work on this occasional. I'm a 14/16 - 5'8 - thick around the middle (being 70) and wondering what on earth to wear! Look ridiculous in fascinators - can't wear heels - then think "oh for goodness sake - who the heck is going to be looking at me"! However, really want to look nice.........any suggestions?

janeainsworth Fri 04-Jan-13 22:43:02

Something from Monsoon with lots of necklaces, dangly earrings and braceletssmile
At 5'8 we can get away with lots of things that shorter people can't [smug emoticon]
You'll look fab Jammiesmile

Ana Fri 04-Jan-13 22:45:48

Or even smart trousers with a floaty top and all the accessories - wedges are more comfortable than heels and would be disguised under trousers anyway.

Ella46 Fri 04-Jan-13 22:46:42

Something a bit Judy Dench-ish maybe, with floppy linen pants and a long jacket with some style to it.
There is a web site for her sort of clothes which was put on here once, but I don't remember what it was blush

Joan Sat 05-Jan-13 10:36:44

I went to my son's (secular) wedding in a long patterned dark cotton skirt, loose top, silk scarf and jangly beads and sandals. It worked well.

I'm not used to skirts - always wear pants or shorts, so I got scared my knickers might fall down as I'm so used to them being safely in my pants! But they didn't - in fact I managed to not embarrass myself at all.

gracesmum Sat 05-Jan-13 12:18:01

My "Judi Dench" recommendation was Hampstead Bazaar, but I would also look at East and Box2 (mail order although they have a shop somewhere like Wheathampstead/Kings Langley) - the latter especially for Grizas - tunics and longish jackets and linen trousers. Especially good if you are tall envyMight get a bargain in their sales!

JammieB Sat 05-Jan-13 12:42:59

Joan - I'm still giggling at the thought of you with your knickers around your ankles at a wedding!!
Thanks for all the advice ladies - will get busy on the websites - had totally forgotten about "east" too - will head to the Mall in a month or so - when they have their summer stock - wish you could come with me!!!

baubles Sat 05-Jan-13 13:02:27

For my daughter's wedding my mother wore silk trousers with a long silk tunic, she looked good and was extremely comfortable. Have fun looking JammieD

I read your name in my mind as Jammie Dodger smile

janeainsworth Sat 05-Jan-13 13:04:06

Where do you live jammie?
I have two friends who I meet regularly in york for chatting/shopping and we have helped each other choose many special occasion outfits over the last 20 years! It really helps to have someone impartial giving advice.
Also people sometimes have very negative ideas about colours, styles etc that they 'can't' wear and an outsider can help you see that actually you might look really good in something that you wouldn't have considered by yourself.
Have fun - I wish I could come too!

Nanado Sat 05-Jan-13 13:05:55

For my daughter's wedding I wore silk trousers and a silk top with matching floaty jacket. I was so comfortable except for the killer heels, but I kicked those off at the reception and danced barefoot till dawn.

baubles Sat 05-Jan-13 13:09:32

Oops sorry, just realised you are JammieB

Ignore me.

Movedalot Sat 05-Jan-13 13:28:13

I think you should take someone with you who you can trust to tell you when it doesn't suit you rather than just like what you like. I once saw someone being encouraged to buy one of those strapless boned evening tops and they all told her it suited her but she was bulging over the back of it! I have since always been outspoken about such things to my friends.

If you need someone to go with you from GN just tell us where you live and I am sure someone will be available.

Good luck

annodomini Sat 05-Jan-13 13:36:55

My senior GD has been an invaluable style guide since she was about 12. I wonder if she'd let me hire her out... hmm

Ana Sat 05-Jan-13 13:41:02

baubles, I always think of Jammie Beggar...wink

JammieB Sat 05-Jan-13 14:46:57

Well.............long story (or maybe not)........when my (step) grandchildren were born they already had a Granny and a Nana so we sort of adopted the "Jammie" thing - the B bit is from my surname - however I do agree with "Jammie beggar" as I am a bit of one! lol
I live South of Bristol - small village at the bottom of the Mendip Hills - hadn't thought of taking my "style princess" - 18 year old GD - however couldn't bear the thought of taking my clothes off in front of her - that could scar her for life!! Will keep that little surprise for when SHE turns 70!

TheReadingRoom Sat 05-Jan-13 15:27:12

A Jacques Vert trouser suit is my recommendation.

No. 1 son got married last summer to a Canadian girl on Prince Edward Island.
I refused to wear a hat, and wanted something comfortable that I could use again afterwards.

Found just the thing on eBay - collarless jacket with bead embroidery around the bottom and loose, elasticated trousers. Fabric was polyester crepe which didn't crush as had to live in a suitcase for about a week before the wedding whilst we toured Nova Scotia!

FYI - it was a beach wedding so no shoes were worn - flip flops or bare feet!

Movedalot Sat 05-Jan-13 15:55:44

Living in the suitcase? Reading you must be very small grin

Ana Sat 05-Jan-13 15:57:55

Cheap accommodation, though! grin
(Sorry, ReadingRoom wink)

shysal Sat 05-Jan-13 16:14:40

I would wear a floaty maxi dress, which can look a bit boho, with flat sandals and short sleeved bolero jacket or cardi. At your height and slim size you could wear a bold pattern and add lots of dangly beads to detract from your perceived problem area. Not everyone wears a hat or fascinator, but perhaps you could try a matching flower or decorated hair slide. Have a great time when the day comes, and hope for some summery weather! sunshine

Ariadne Sat 05-Jan-13 16:32:07

I agree with the Monsoon and East suggestions; Jacques Vert might be a bit too much MoB? Floaty silk or linen and maxi dress to trousers sound good.

This is one of those times that a big department store (which I usually hate) can be really useful, because Monsoon, East etc (and JV) all have in store franchises so you don't have to shop hop.

Deedaa Sat 05-Jan-13 22:28:58

I wore mid calf terracotta and cream jungle print dress with a linen jacket to my daughter's wedding (15 yrs ago now - how did that happen?) no hat because it wasn't that sort of wedding. Didn't look much like the Mother of the Bride but that was all right because her best friend did the floaty dress and fitted jacket so I didn't have to grin
If I'm really stuck I go to my 6 yr old grandson who has been my stylist since he was about 3. He's picked out some lovely things for me and chose a gorgeous necklace for my Christmas present.

nanaej Sat 05-Jan-13 23:16:55

Box 2 is at Wimbledon too if that is accessible. I wore a Fenn Wright Mason silk dress to DD1 wedding which was a casual BBQ / marquee do... vows, meal & dancing all took place in the marquee! But tbh there was a wide range of formal/informal outfits and really it did not matter.. we just had a great day!

Nanado Sat 05-Jan-13 23:45:30

Deedaa I have a 6 year old grandson who sounds just like yours. He was the only boy in 'fashion club' and has his own portfolio grin. I bought a long animal print collarless shirt to wear over the Christmas break. While delving into my wardrobe he said 'I'd like to see you wearing this Nana, I'll go with those amber beads I bought you'. I never thought about taking him shopping with me but you've made me think.

cheelu Sun 06-Jan-13 00:29:27

jammieB when you decide what to wear I would like some tipson how you decided what to get as my son getting married this year!!

dorsetpennt Sun 06-Jan-13 10:12:06

I hadn't been to a wedding for years then suddenly had 6 in 18 months - as ,in some cases, the same people attended it meant three outfits at least. I don't possess a dress let alone a 'posh frock' now I have 3. One wedding took place in Syon House with very illustrious guests so required the poshest dress. So I picked acorrding to the wedding. I wore a fascinater to each as a hat looks even more daft on me.
At 2 weddings I wore a floaty dress with a jacket I'd worn to my son's wedding ten years ago - pays to buy something dateless.