Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

looked in the mirror, and wished you hadn't?

(80 Posts)
rosesarered Thu 12-Jun-14 18:50:30

Have you ever looked in a mirror in passing and wished you hadn't?I did just that today, and saw a little pale worried old face looking back at me! I have had some sort of virus this week and can't stop coughing, but didn't realise I looked THAT bad.I went off and slapped some tanning moisturiser on it. Now it looks like a little worried old face [but tanned.]I think I give up.

glammanana Thu 12-Jun-14 18:58:45

roses snap I've been off colour the past two weeks and medication is just about turning it around to feeling somewhat normal again but looking in the bathroom mirror nearly gave me a massive setback so same as you with some BB cream and the locks brushed through and clipped up neatly instead of looking like "not to-night Josephine"

KatyK Thu 12-Jun-14 19:12:28

Every time I look in the mirror something has either appeared that I don't want or disappeared that I do want. Lines, blemishes, broken veins, extra chins, the odd hair needing to be plucked out. Hair from my head has disappeared, teeth have disappeared, my waist has disappeared. Apart from that, I am absolutely gorgeous! grin

petallus Thu 12-Jun-14 19:13:40

Depends if I've got my specs on or not.

newist Thu 12-Jun-14 19:20:14

I had always been led to believe, one day you will look in the mirror and see your mother. I must of skipped a generation, the only person I see is my Grandma

rosesarered Thu 12-Jun-14 19:24:24

Ah! petallus you have hit on exactly the right remedy! We must all stop wearing our specs.grin
I know what you mean katy about things vanishing that you do want and vice versa. Sigh. We should not go near a mirror when not feeling well Glamma it's asking for trouble.

rosesarered Thu 12-Jun-14 19:25:34

newist I am with you on that! I too see my Grandma.

rosesarered Thu 12-Jun-14 19:26:44

Actually, we should probably all give mirrors a miss.

HildaW Thu 12-Jun-14 19:27:58

I've never been keen on being photo'd and am even less keen now. Looking through a recent trip's photos on line I keep seeing the back of this short dumpy straggly grey haired creature. Heck it cannot be me, I am 5ft 8 (or was on my last job application 10 years ago) and my hair is a tasteful blend of silver and blonde highlights! I blow dry it every day and looks pretty snazzy in my mirror (not wearing glasses of course).

rosesarered Thu 12-Jun-14 19:43:16

Hee-hee Hilda know what you mean. I have always hated my photo taken, unless it's done really quickly my face kind of 'freezes' into a strange expression.Mind you, I really AM short, but at 5 8" you are tall [to me.]Maybe it was a weird photo angle, yes, that's it!

papaoscar Thu 12-Jun-14 19:53:22

Dread those hotels with wall-to-wall mirrors in the bathroom. They should be banned!

rosequartz Thu 12-Jun-14 20:19:06

I wish I could look in the mirror and see my grandmother, she was lovely. Unfortunately the good looks have not been passed down to me. I usually have a shock when I see myself unexpectedly in a shop window or mirror, I often don't realise at first that it is me. (I obviously think I look better than I do, my bathroom mirror must be flattering and I daren't look in the full-length one in DD's bedroom.)

Deedaa Thu 12-Jun-14 21:03:50

Think how happy medieval ladies of a certain age must have been - mirrors weren't great, no glasses and only candlelight to see by - they must have thought they were stunning grin

suebailey1 Fri 13-Jun-14 08:34:56

Loathe the mirror - my mother keeps looking at me through it!

marigold1 Fri 13-Jun-14 11:34:43

I'm not too keen on mirrors either, had a quick look this morning (with specs on) to check eyebrows...... must make an appointment for waxing A.S.A.P...... they resemble two caterpillars having a deep and meaningful conversation, I have decided I have a face for a power cut!

rosesarered Fri 13-Jun-14 11:37:55

grin

rosesarered Fri 13-Jun-14 11:41:34

When my Mother was about 17, she overheard her younger brother and a schoolfriend talking about her,
schoolfriend ; 'your sister's all right isn't she?!'
brother ; 'Aye, not bad, in the dark with the light behind her!'
Think I have reached that stage now. grin

gillybob Fri 13-Jun-14 11:49:06

Bloomin' heck yes rosesarered. I hate looking in the mirror as I am always so disappointed grin by what I see. Sometimes when I am all dressed to go out (admittedly not very often) I feel quite good almost passable and then I take a peep in the mirror and feel totally deflated. It is because of this I have a deep hatred of visiting the hairdressers. I would rather visit the dentist, at least you don't have to stare at your own reflection !

I also hate my photo taken. I can't do "natural". I always tell friends and relatives to leave me out as it will only spoil their pictures. Over the years (having seen the results) most people would tend to agree.

rosesarered Fri 13-Jun-14 13:09:23

grin we should form a club!

sherish Fri 13-Jun-14 13:42:47

When I'm applying makeup or doing my hair I seem to look not so bad. But when I'm caught unawares or have a photograph taken I seem to have morphed into someone else who has a strange expression on her face and a couple more chins. I just look like a completely different person that now I shy away from having photos taken. It's given me a big complex.

kittylester Fri 13-Jun-14 14:57:34

It's scary to see your mother looking back especially if, like mine, she's 91!!

kittylester Fri 13-Jun-14 14:59:17

I have recounted before how an aunt told me that I looked just like my mother at the same age (20ish) 'just not as pretty' sad

rosequartz Fri 13-Jun-14 22:33:01

I think I could be almost passable, if I had a facelift, had my teeth veneered and lost a couple of stone. Is it worth it, as I'll still be old and invisible?

Soutra Fri 13-Jun-14 22:50:41

I think it's the random back views in pics that upset me most. Surely I am not alone in suffering from the dreaded back fat ?? I can simper and half turn for "posed" photos ( granted not a lot better) but the back end of a bus and my own are hard to tell apart sad

annodomini Fri 13-Jun-14 23:02:33

Back fat, Soutra! Where does it come from? I don'l like being seen in a swimsuit but needs must when I'm on holiday. hmm