Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Crocs

(70 Posts)
Tegan Sun 13-Jul-14 14:20:14

I know someone on here has waxed lyrical about Crocs in the past [sorry but can't recall who it was] but I bought my first pair a few weeks ago and have now bought another pair to take on holiday. I can't begin to say how comfortable and practical they are. I did buy the first pair just to wear in the garden but I became a bit precious about them, hence the second pair [in a colour that goes with a lot of my clothes ie black!]

Mamie Sun 13-Jul-14 14:22:59

I have their flip-flop sandals and a fabulous pair of furry winter boots too. All wonderfully comfortable. I do wear the original sort in the garden, but I end up with very dirty feet.

vegasmags Sun 13-Jul-14 14:56:06

I have a pair of crocs look alikes, sold by Aldi at £3.99. I have worn them a lot in the hot weather, only at home, because I find that wearing sandals all day with bare feet can make the sandals unpleasantly smelly. The good old crocs can just be washed under the tap with a squirt of detergent and stay fresh as a daisy.

ps Sun 13-Jul-14 14:57:04

I wouldn't be without my Crocs. I have returned the pair I had overseas to the UK to use in the garden and the UK garden pair are now overseas. Believe it or not I also have a "smart" pair abroad (meaning they have not been stained with concrete or the sun). Sadly the sole of the pair now here in UK is paper thin so will not last much longer but they will be replaced when the time comes and then I can recycle again. The only downside I detect is that they do make the feet warm but a small price to pay for the comfort and weight.

rosequartz Sun 13-Jul-14 14:59:39

The thing is they are so stylish and beautiful!
Seriously, they are comfortable; I left my one and only pair at DD1's house and wanted to buy another pair the other day. DH said 'if you really must', so I ended up not buying them. Wish I had bought them now.

merlotgran Sun 13-Jul-14 15:01:57

I have some crocs without holes for wearing in the garden. I wear the straps up at the back though because my calves ache like mad if I wear them like clogs.

rosequartz Sun 13-Jul-14 15:06:29

Yes, I wear the straps up for more support.

dogsdinner Sun 13-Jul-14 15:09:05

I too love crocs both wellies and boots. Just bought a new pair for the winter. You can wash the ordinary crocs in the washing machine and they come up like new.

DebnCreme Sun 13-Jul-14 15:10:44

I love my Crocs. I have just bought a pair of foot toning Crocs because apparently my metatarsel problem requires shoes with a 'rocker sole' and these can be expensive but my Crocs were relatively inexpensive. Sadly the ones I bought now seem to have gone off the market.

glammanana Sun 13-Jul-14 15:16:22

I always wore croc's when I worked in the kitchen at our restaurant and they where a godsend,I could put them in a wash every night and they always came up good as new,I have the disney ones at the moment they have small ears cut out as opposed to hole's you can still dress them up with croc jewellery for a quirky look.
I think one of our GNers had a DD who was a sales manager for the Company but can't think who it was just now.

Tegan Sun 13-Jul-14 15:56:30

That's right; I can't think who it was. I'm going to wear my black ones with the maxi dresses I've bought for my holiday. Trouble is they're not so easy to buy these days..the Crocs shop at Westfield closed down and I can now only get them from Milletts. They said the problem was probably the fact that they last so long people don't need to buy them very often. I need to check out TK Max when I'm passing. [mind you, I have just checked out my feet and they are a bit grubby blush; then again I could just soak my feet and my Crocs at the same time wink or hose myself down.....the possibilities are endless.

POGS Sun 13-Jul-14 16:35:54

I have to say we don't buy CROCS but the cheaper versions and we have bought our GD hers from the £1 shops for years. They are just as good and naturally she need a different size each year.

Great for comfort, great for the sea and rock pooling, great for the garden, washable and cheap enough to throw away, what's not to like.

Tegan Sun 13-Jul-14 16:49:31

I was always worried about buying a cheaper version in case I didn't like them but didn't realise the branded ones were better. Now I'm a convert I'll try some; there's an outdoor shop in Berwick that sells them.

janerowena Sun 13-Jul-14 17:01:19

I love the cheap ones for gardening in, in the summer. I was so worried that they would disappear from the shops that I bought three pairs. I wouldn't be seen dead in public in them, though!

goldengirl Sun 13-Jul-14 17:05:51

So you can get them in outdoor shops? Anywhere else? Direct on line I guess. They sound wonderful. I have 3 pairs of clog type mules: 1 Hotter, 1 Cotton Traders and 1 Lands End. I adore them all.

janerowena Sun 13-Jul-14 17:08:04

They are brilliant for the beach, I can even get DS to wear them. Most cheaper shoe shops sell them, they are often in baskets outside on the pavement.

Tegan Sun 13-Jul-14 17:18:58

They don't seem to be any cheaper online; the reson I bought a pair was that Milletts [I think it was Milletts; might have been another name] had a realy good offer on. When I bought my black pair they were back up to full price. The shop in Berwick sells pretend Crocs [I think].

numberplease Sun 13-Jul-14 17:53:56

I`ve got a pair in bright pink from Primark, they were only £1, not exactly beautiful, but very comfy.

POGS Sun 13-Jul-14 17:55:36

Seriously don't be snobby about the ones in the £1 shops, especially for children as they will only wear them for a while before their little puds grow. After all they cant fall about at the seams can they. smile

Mishap Sun 13-Jul-14 18:49:17

Just don't drive in them - very dangerous!

annodomini Sun 13-Jul-14 18:58:15

I've had two pairs of original Crocs from Ebay. Cheaper than RRP though more expensive than imitations. I have been seen in public wearing them, but only because I forgot to change before I left the house. blush They are perfect for a caravan holiday and so light to pack.

Tegan Sun 13-Jul-14 19:14:38

I only drive in flat shoes; it scares me to see people drive in flip flops, clogs and suchlike shock.

thatbags Sun 13-Jul-14 19:21:22

Why is it dangerous to drive in Crocs?

I expect the same people will say it's dangerous to drive in wellies or hiking boots too.

Load of nonsense.

I hate the snobbery about Crocs. It's good to see that so many people ignore the snobbery.

I hate snobbery, full-stop.

Ana Sun 13-Jul-14 19:27:06

I don't think it's snobbery - why should it be, when they're not particularly cheap (the originals, I mean)?

I couldn't drive in wellies or flipflops, it just wouldn't be safe.

feetlebaum Sun 13-Jul-14 19:27:07

I've been driving in Crocs for about seven years now... no problem! I certainly tried them out very cautiously first... I had a friend, a ady, who used to drive a 15-ton truck bare-footed in South Africa...