Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Stylish watch

(37 Posts)
NanKate Mon 21-Jul-14 19:01:27

Himself has offered to buy me a new watch. I want something slim and modern. I fancy the Skagen watches but they are a bit pricey. The Olivia Burton ones are fun but not quite the colours I like.

So can any of you recommend a watch you are pleased with?

kittylester Tue 22-Jul-14 06:34:29

DH and I both have Skagan watches and I gave been quite happy with mine but DH has had problem after problem with the strap on his and it was deemed to have been 'wear and tear' even though it was only about two months in. Even John Lewis couldn't get them to replace it under guarantee. I think it cost £30 to get it replaced as it could only be done by the manufacturer!

NanKate Tue 22-Jul-14 08:07:46

Thanks Kitty. My DH also has a Skagen he likes it for its slimness and lightness, however it has dropped off once so make sure yours are firmly done up.

When we are away for a few days hols I will take the time to go watch hunting.

anjiline Tue 22-Jul-14 08:23:21

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Brendawymms Tue 22-Jul-14 08:31:54

Reported. Is the sun bringing then out?

Aka Tue 22-Jul-14 08:32:36

Like rats at night?

Purpledaffodil Tue 22-Jul-14 08:45:37

Have you had a look at Amazon NanKate ? They seem to do some good watches at very reduced prices in some cases. Only disadvantage of course is not being able to try on before you buy.

suebailey1 Tue 22-Jul-14 08:54:12

I have an Armani that I have had for years - very plain chrome finish oblong face goes with everything but I usually wear silver jewellery never gold doesn't suit me.

kittylester Tue 22-Jul-14 13:05:34

I meant to also say that I bought a cream 'summer'watch from m&s for £15 (I think) and I think that might be the way forward except when I wear my 'best' gold watch! I quite fancy a choice of trendy watches for every day wear. My m&s one had a three year guarantee!

Nonu Tue 22-Jul-14 13:15:56

H Samuel do Anne Klein watches, they are smart , different and under £60 to £70.

I bought one a while back and it looks good !

smile

annodomini Tue 22-Jul-14 13:35:57

I'm on my third M&S watch. I dropped the first one on the tiled floor of a Spanish hotel bathroom and the 'glass' cracked. The bracelet on the second has seen better days, so last weekend i bought an unassuming, small square one with a leather strap and am well pleased with it. The M&S selection is good but perhaps not if you are looking for a slim watch.

Tegan Tue 22-Jul-14 13:37:26

You can get loom band watches now!

kittylester Tue 22-Jul-14 14:22:30

Do you have to weave it yourself Tegan grin

The thing I like about £15-20 watches is that that cost so little you can have a few (say 6 for a Skagen) and they are a bit funky [holdingbacktheyearsunsuccessfully] grin

Ana Tue 22-Jul-14 14:47:15

Goodness, I didn't realise Skagen watches were that expensive, kitty! (Must have been looking in the bargain basement when I googled! grin)

Tegan Tue 22-Jul-14 14:51:25

I've got a beautiful gold watch that was my fathers [I tend to like mens watches for some reason; probably going back to those huge watches we wore in the 60's] but am always scared to wear it in case I lose it. I'm a 'one handbag, one watch kindagal'. Makes life simple.

Tegan Tue 22-Jul-14 14:56:58

..I've just dug my daughters Snoopy watch out of a drwer and wound it up [it's that old; no battery] and it's ticking. Going to see if it keeps good time. Looking for an old Swatch [one of the originals] that's in a drawer somewhere...

NanKate Tue 22-Jul-14 15:27:52

Thanks for all your suggestions which I will follow up. flowers

shysal Tue 22-Jul-14 16:30:09

I always buy Swatch watches. I prefer the 'Skin' style, which are very thin - I hate chunky watches that catch on things. At present I wear a 'Ligne de Vie' which is waterproof, including the strap.
www.squiggly.com/gb/swatch-vintage/

granjura Tue 22-Jul-14 17:01:18

Kittylester- there is a great little jeweller near the roundabout by the Haymarket (next to MacIndian) - Bijal Jeweller- he replaces all the batteries for my watches (and I am Swiss, from Swiss Valley- Chopard, Parmigiani, Piaget, Cartier and more made here)... for about a tenner, and does all the seals, etc.

kittylester Tue 22-Jul-14 17:08:27

There is one in Loughborough too Granjura. smile

NanKate Fri 08-Aug-14 19:26:09

After trying on lots of watches and looking up hundreds online I have settled for a very nice Lorus silver watch with a nice clear date and a second hand. Cost £40 and I am more than satisfied, thanks for all the advice. flowers

Ana Fri 08-Aug-14 19:33:16

My last watch was a Lorus and I loved it - told the time accurately, looked good and very good value for money! What more can you ask for in a watch?

Aka Fri 08-Aug-14 20:06:46

The day I retired I threw my watch away and have refused to wear one since.

dustyangel Sat 09-Aug-14 12:21:58

Aka, DH did that when we came out here. You have no idea how irritating it can be. grin

KatyK Sat 09-Aug-14 15:10:05

I have LOADS of watches. All cheap and cheerful, nothing over £20 but I have them in all different colours and styles. smile