Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Shampoo that's bad for the hair!

(55 Posts)
rosesarered Sat 12-Sep-15 09:00:57

At the hairdressers last week, we got talking about shampoo. the two hairdressers told us that the two shampoos that knock the stuffing out of hair with prolonged use are Head And Shoulders and ANY Pantene shampoo.
Eeeek! My hair had been looking less than great, so checked my shampoos on returning home, and the mosed used one was Pantene, so it got ditched!
they also said that if you colour your hair never to use Head And Shoulders, it strips out the colour.shock

Anne58 Sat 12-Sep-15 09:29:04

I was once told that if you coloured your hair and didn't like the result, using a medicated shampoo (remember Vosene?) helped to get it out, or at least reduce the effect.

shysal Sat 12-Sep-15 09:36:48

I have also heard that Pantene is disliked by hairdressers. Any of their products containing silicone give initial shine, then it builds up and causes problems.

The best product to remove colour mistakes is Fairy liquid, but conditioner will be necessary afterwards.

Teetime Sat 12-Sep-15 09:55:27

Strangely enough the only shampoo my sister (who has alopecia) can use without her hair falling out is Pantene. Lots of the cheaper shampoos are very harsh and strip the hair of natural oils. Philip Kingsley who seems to be the industry guru recommends far less hair washing anyway with milder solutions. He has his own range which is frightfully expensive. I haven't tried it but have tried Aveda which is mild and has 'natural' products and makes much less lather. I tend to stick to Frizz Ease though as I have a floor mop instead of a head of normal hair.

sunseeker Sat 12-Sep-15 10:01:25

I use Pantene and my hair is OK (well as OK as it ever can be!). I do wash it every day and once a week use a medicated shampoo as I have heard that most shampoos leave a residue which can be removed by using a medicated shampoo.

Sonsybesom Sat 12-Sep-15 10:23:37

I was mortified at Charlie Miller's in Edinburgh. It is very expensive and a very rare treat. I was taken downstairs to have my scalp deep cleaned!! It was so shaming, but was caused by a build up of silicone, and all my shampooing, Herbal Essences and Timotei I think, had made it worse. My son gets me mild shampoo from Germany, only a little works in our desperately hard water.

annodomini Sat 12-Sep-15 10:32:31

When I was younger and had a dandruff problem, I did use Head and Shoulders which has now been around for a long time. It may have controlled the dandruff but didn't do my hair any favours. Whatever happened to dandruff? You rarely see that white deposit on dark collars nowadays. Perhaps it's because many of us now shower and wash our hair daily. I once heard a dermatologist on the radio recommending washing hair with a carpet shampoo on the grounds that if it's good enough for your best Axminster it should be good enough for your hair. I never put it to the test, though.

At present I am using Aveda Blue Malva shampoo which counteracts the yellowish tinge that sometimes shows up in silver hair. Mine seems to be in good condition though a bit unruly so sometimes use an argan oil conditioner.

rosesarered Sat 12-Sep-15 14:11:19

My DD always uses Klorane shampoo, totally natural ingredients ( she has skin problems now and then so needs something mild) the pink coloured peony shampoo is the best one she says, having tried a few.You can order it online.

rosesarered Sat 12-Sep-15 14:12:17

Teetime! grin Am sure your hair looks lovely.

Deedaa Sat 12-Sep-15 21:40:16

I once had a hairdresser run his fingers through my hair and say "This doesn't even feel like hair!" I had been using Weleda's herbal shampoo which was very popular at the time and I was mortified! At the moment I'm using a shampoo by L'Occitane which is very expensive but lasts for ages because you only need a tiny drop of it. I think my hair is feeling lovely and no one else has made any rude comments hmm

rosesarered Sat 12-Sep-15 22:42:02

What a cheeky thing for him to say Deedaa! do you have very thick hair?

Welshwife Sat 12-Sep-15 22:42:22

Roses Klorane shampoo is sold in most French Pharmacies and Parapharmacies - could be handy if you know anyone passing through.

rosesarered Sat 12-Sep-15 22:46:43

Thanks Welshwife, we do sometimes go over there, so it's useful to know.smile

trisher Sat 12-Sep-15 23:38:58

I use whatever is on offer in the supermarket. I have never heard of silicone build up , how do you know if you have it? Oh I also use the little bottles from hotels. I think my hair looks OK. Mind you I don't like hairdressers anyway and have sometimes cut my own hair.

MiniMouse Sun 13-Sep-15 12:36:15

I always use as near natural as possible! Faith in Nature or Organic Surge - although more expensive than supermarket brands, they go a long way! No parabens etc smile

glammanana Sun 13-Sep-15 12:55:19

I have always been told not to use the same shampoo all the time as your hair becomes too used to it,I have used John Frieda for many years with good effects but every now and then change to Charles Worthington for a month or two every two weeks I give it a good deep condition with hot oil,I am careful not to use too hot a setting with my dryer so it does take a while to dry with it being so long but its worth it in the end as it has always stayed in good condition.
What I don't understand is the new Pantene advert for "Anti-Ageing" shampoo when every one knows that your hair regrowth is giving you new hair every day it is surely a sales ploy.confused

rosesarered Sun 13-Sep-15 14:21:57

yes Glamma, I was told that too, to change shampoo now and again.

M0nica Sun 13-Sep-15 20:47:45

I have sensitive skin and have allergies to some parabens and sodium lauryl sulphate, all substances found in most personal cleansing products. I use DGJ Organics shampoo and conditioner, which I can buy at Waitrose, not cheap, but not outrageously expensive either. Holland and Barrett also have a good range of organic and allergen free products.

Deedaa Sun 13-Sep-15 21:04:50

Actually roses I've always had very fine hair although there is a lot of it.

grandma60 Sun 13-Sep-15 21:08:12

I agree that anti_ageing shampoo and conditioners don't really make sense but i do quite like the Dove ones when they are on offer.

aggie Sun 13-Sep-15 21:16:10

I use Lidl shampoos !

Katek Sun 13-Sep-15 21:58:33

I use Tresemme shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair - I've also been told to vary your shampoo sometimes.

Nanabelle Mon 14-Sep-15 00:00:33

Liz Earle shampoo and conditioner are my favourites - no parabens or sodium lauryl sulphates - and a little goes a long way.
I am trying to enjoy living with my curls these days so have been reading blogs and books on Curly Girls. Just bought some special shampoo, conditioner and styling gel from Boucleme which I saw recommended in a magazine. Quite expensive but worth a try!

eccentric Mon 14-Sep-15 15:14:13

My daughter suggested I use shampoo from lush. They do a wonderful purple shampoo that smells fabulous and lightly of viotets. I use a very small amount. I live in hard water area. Shame they don't do matching conditioner. I,by the way, have pure white hair which I love.

eccentric Sat 10-Oct-15 17:01:27

Eekk the lovely violet shampoo makes me itch!