Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Shampoo and Set anyone?

(38 Posts)
JessM Sun 24-Jul-16 09:37:42

Not surprisingly this hair salon standard is dying out. It's a generation thing I suppose. I'm in my 60s and shampoo and set was something the older generation had when I was a child. The end of an era. My MIL used to have one every week, until she reached point where she couldn't get to the hairdressers. www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36854809

Deedaa Mon 25-Jul-16 21:34:12

I think this time I'm going to get the barber who comes and cuts DH's hair to do mine. He told me he is trained in ladies' hair as well and I think I'd find it easier to get him to do it how I want.

etheltbags1 Tue 26-Jul-16 09:08:27

I see many ladies of older years who now just have their hair cut short,it looks quite smart. I've thought of this as well as the scraped back look.

Leticia Tue 26-Jul-16 18:18:07

Thinking about this thread I made a point of looking through all hairdresser windows in town this morning. I found 4 plus my own and not a single hood drier to be seen.
I suspect that many elderly people are like my mother and need a good cut every 5/6 weeks so that they can wash it in the shower every few days and just comb it into place. Younger people do similar- a lot wash it daily.
Life has changed.

etheltbags1 Mon 01-Aug-16 21:10:59

my mother embarrasses me with her 'set' type of hair but she wont change it for me. I hate to go out with her for that reason.

Jalima Mon 01-Aug-16 23:11:05

ethel!!
my DM had hers done in the same style as long as I could remember; when I started doing it for her in her much later years I could have shut my eyes and still put the rollers in correctly!
(the same style as HM the Queen)

Jalima Mon 01-Aug-16 23:13:13

No, I expect your mother will only change it if she wants to do so herself! grin
You could show her some pictures of older women with more fashionable styles - tell her how easy Judi Dench's hairstyle must be to look after wink

Gracesgran Tue 02-Aug-16 07:52:01

My village hairdresser still does shampoo and sets and my mother (95) has once a week from a mobile hairdresser; she could not wash her own hair. My daughter's hairdresser has no hooded hairdryer, mine has one or two mobile ones - not in evidence from the window and the one we have used for mum when her hairdresser is away has a bank of four which can be seen from outside. It must be particularly about choosing your market or what market or available.

FarNorth Tue 02-Aug-16 08:03:35

I know one or two ladies who have a 'set'. It suits them and is a look they like. I'd think they'd be as unhappy with another style as I would be to get a perm.
etheltbags1 are you serious? Get over yourself and enjoy your mother's company.

Gracesgran Tue 02-Aug-16 16:41:59

Partly not particularly -sorry

pinknet Tue 13-Feb-18 08:03:00

I am a 48 year old male with longer hair and for me I actually find a shampoo and set very relaxing, a visit to the salon along with 40 minutes or so under the dryer with my hair in rollers allows me a chance to escape from the every day pressures of life and just escape from reality.
Unfortunately most people on this thread have pre conceived ideas of a shampoo and set due to the 60s Styles associated with them , but infact a shampoo and set can infact be anything you want it to be depending on your roller placement and comb out procedures . I urge people to actually try a shampoo and set before criticising the style.

Ginny42 Tue 13-Feb-18 09:03:16

I noticed in an American programme that they called a 'blow dry' a 'blow out'. Here of course you would have a serious problem with your vehicle if you had a blow out.

I have always liked to be able to run my fingers through my hair, so no tight set styles for me. I have used the same salon for years and the staff have regular training sessions and the latest equipment and products.

I can only remember hairdressers blow drying mine. I do wonder if their arms ache from holding the dryer all that time for client after client.

HeyTheree Tue 19-Nov-19 14:37:03

"Shampoo and set" thing is still popular nowadays. I keep seeing articles like this one on various sites. People claim that this method is far safer compared to heating styling tools like curling irons. Besides you can use rollers every day without harming your hair with heat.