Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

What shade of lipstick?

(49 Posts)
fumanchu Tue 28-Feb-17 16:45:11

I never wear lipstick but want to start. I'm 67, pale as a ghost, pale beige blond hair and navy blue eyes. What shade would/should I go for? I have to order online as not able to get to a shop. Thanks in advacne - learning so much in here smile

whitewave Tue 28-Feb-17 16:47:10

Go for same shade as your lips to start. That helps it suit your skin colouring, then if you feel like it you can start to experiment.

fumanchu Tue 28-Feb-17 16:49:54

Oh never thought of that - rose pink I suppose. TY whitewave.

tanith Tue 28-Feb-17 16:53:37

Try a nude or neutral shade maybe with a sheen to it, I've always disliked lipstick so use a nude shade that suits me.

rosesarered Tue 28-Feb-17 16:56:30

Am much the same colouring as you Fu and although I still sometimes wear rose pink lipstick, look better with a pale apricot shade these days.Buy one with a slight sheen to it, rather than matt.

Norah Tue 28-Feb-17 16:57:17

What colours do you wear near your face? It seems you would be in the soft pink towards burgundy range, clear pinks with blue undertones. If I'm guessing correctly, avoid apricot, coral, orange, brownish tones. Look at a colour wheel, with blue eyes and pale skin as a start. www.colourmebeautiful.co.uk/

BlueBelle Tue 28-Feb-17 17:00:07

Yes I go for a pale orangy pink and am blond/white hair blue/grey eyes nothing too dark or reddy

PamelaJ1 Tue 28-Feb-17 17:05:35

Go to a department store, browse the make up counters and ask advice.
My sister and I both asked for an everyday shade. I was a bit disappointed because the young lady chose the colour I would have chosen and when I got it home it was almost exactly the same as a couple of others I have. I should have had more confidence in my own ability to get it right!

Ana Tue 28-Feb-17 17:09:24

The OP can't get out to the shops, PamelaJ1 so will have to buy online.

I don't much care for the natural colour of my lips and do find a peach or apricot shade suits me better. Having said that, I hardly ever wear lipstick although wouldn't go out without eye makeup!

janeainsworth Tue 28-Feb-17 17:18:56

No!!!!
Go the whole hog and try some bright red lipstick. Get a lip brush while you're at it as it makes it a lot easier to put on.
www.steadyhealth.com/articles/women-wearing-red-lipstick-look-younger-why

Ana Tue 28-Feb-17 17:21:28

I'd look like Morticia Addams if I wore bright red lipstick! shock

janeainsworth Tue 28-Feb-17 20:11:55

I think that's the idea ana grin

Deedaa Tue 28-Feb-17 21:16:32

Do any of your friends wear lipstick fumanchu ? Perhaps one of them might be wearing a colour you like?

hildajenniJ Tue 28-Feb-17 21:31:52

I've only ever worn lip shine or lip gloss, and only very infrequently. I don't like the feeling on my lips.

MawBroon Wed 01-Mar-17 08:51:49

A child of the Sixties - -all Mary Quant and pale pale lips I have never been able to feel comfortable with red lippy!
I envy those who look good in it but am also quick to spot those who look "jammy"
I must have about 24 virtually identical pinky-browny-beigey-nude lipsticks as I search endlessly for the "perfect" one ! ?

Teetime Wed 01-Mar-17 09:11:30

fumanchu I would look at the Bobbi Brown range which are subtle nude shades. I don't like very bright lipstick especially during the day and my latest acquisition which I love as its slightly glossy is Clinique Pink Spice

fumanchu Wed 01-Mar-17 13:10:50

Great suggestions, thanks for your ideas. Off to google now. I'm a 60s person too and love the nude/pale pink look, but wasn't sure if it would suit me now. I have never thought of apricoty shades though... It's a pain having to order online as if it doesn't suit then it's money thrown away. I'm hoping to be well enough to go up to Edinburgh when it gets warmer to browse and pick my own - but haven't got the patience to wait smile

rosesarered Wed 01-Mar-17 13:24:35

fu take a look at the Avon online lipsticks, they do some really nice ones.

fumanchu Wed 01-Mar-17 16:02:59

rosesarered, I didn't even know that Avon were online! lol well behind the times, me. Will do, thanks smile

Lazigirl Wed 01-Mar-17 18:41:01

If you want to splash out Clinique lipsticks are nice and natural. My lips resemble a monkey's bottom if I wear a bright colour. smile

fumanchu Wed 01-Mar-17 21:01:11

Lazigirl I do use Clinique foundation, it lasts forever. Will go and look at their colours, ty.

MargaretX Wed 01-Mar-17 21:33:16

I have been using ALDI Nude for a few years. The nicest lipstick I've ever had,flattering for the not-so-young face and cheap.

HildaW Thu 02-Mar-17 08:37:24

I've made many a mistake over shades of lipstick over the years however, on a whim I popped into Boots yesterday and got the assistant on the No7 counter to check my colours.....(I needed a tinted moisturiser) she suggested a couple of lipstick shades and proved to be spot on.

fumanchu Thu 02-Mar-17 08:46:50

I haven't seen lipstick in Aldi, not in the one I go to anyway. Boots is handy yes but I canny get to one until I feel better. I looking forward to it though- when I hit the shops I will go mad lol

Auntieflo Thu 02-Mar-17 19:19:40

Tesco used to sell Barbara Daly lipsticks and had a lovely Mocha shade. Can't get it now though.