Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

What shade of lipstick?

(50 Posts)
fumanchu Tue 28-Feb-17 16:45:11

I never wear lipstick but want to start. I'm 67, pale as a ghost, pale beige blond hair and navy blue eyes. What shade would/should I go for? I have to order online as not able to get to a shop. Thanks in advacne - learning so much in here smile

patricia5 Fri 03-Mar-17 05:05:29

I prefer light shades. Guess, pink can suit you well.

Esspee Fri 03-Mar-17 06:42:04

I recommend waiting until you can get to a shop where you can get assistance and try before you buy. Rather than go for an expensive one try something like Boots No 7 to start with then if you go back to your old ways you haven't wasted a lot of money. Do you have any lady visitors or neighbours who you can ask to bring any they don't use for you to try on your inner wrist? It is amazing how very "wrong" some shades look on your skin. I tend to be tanned and look awful in any blue or orange toned lipstick. Personally these days I use a tinted lip gloss. Needs applying more often but much subtler.

Anya Fri 03-Mar-17 07:07:06

Look for the soft browny-pink shades, they suit most colouring.

Marenn Fri 03-Mar-17 07:10:32

Usually the mauve or berry tones are nice.

fumanchu Fri 03-Mar-17 07:48:08

Mauve or berry shades used to turn me sallow Marenn, I look like FuManchu's granny in them. Might be different now though, old age and illness can make a hell of a difference to your skin tone. I think I'll try 2-3 cheap ones in pink,nude, and browny shades and see what happens. TY peeps smile smile You're a great help x

Lilypops Fri 03-Mar-17 08:24:35

Fumanchu, hello , I hope you soon feel well enough to go to the makeup counters and have a play with the lipstick testers, In the meantime, do you know of any Avon ladies who would visit you in your home? I think if you go online to Avon , you may be able to request a home visit, In the meantime I would go for a warm rosy pink, Good Luck with that one, x?

Anya Fri 03-Mar-17 08:27:19

That's a very good idea Lily - about asking the Avon 'lady' for a house call.

BadGranna Fri 03-Mar-17 15:16:41

I have recently been experimenting with different lipstick colours, I now have a collection of purple, orange, green and yellow lipsticks which are surprisingly flattering wink

phoenix Fri 03-Mar-17 17:34:47

Am I the only one who really doesn't get on with lipstick? blush

When I felt I had to wear it, I used Max Factor Lipfinity, lasted all day, but a bugger to get off (had to use make-up remover shock ) and was very drying.

fumanchu Fri 03-Mar-17 18:39:43

I tried Lipfinity years ago and I found it drying too.
Amazingly I went to their website and found an Avon lady who will come out here smile

Nandalot Fri 03-Mar-17 19:30:06

Like you Fumanchu, I have just taken it into my mind to wear lipstick after years of not bothering. I went into Boots and they do a shade test on your complexion and determine your type. I am wheat and then there is a shade card which includes lipsticks in a range of colours that should suit. I still feel very self conscious wearing it. My DH didn't notice but my five year old DGD said in front of her teacher 'Nanna you are wearing lipstick!' In a surprised tone.
I too find it drying.

Grannyknot Sat 04-Mar-17 07:06:46

auntieflo I'm another one who misses the Barbara Daly lipsticks, I wonder why Tesco discontinued them. My favourite was Grape. Which by the way, wasn't purple! I remember the Mocha shade.

fumanchu Sat 04-Mar-17 08:18:37

Nandalot Boots sounds good. We have got a Boots in my nearest wee town but it involves finding somewhere to park then a bit of a walk which I can't do just yet. Edinburgh is better as can get a bus. I can't wait to get out and hit the shops lol - I'm going to go mad smile smile

Auntieflo Sat 04-Mar-17 08:55:48

Grannyknot, thank you. As it was qute a time ago, I was wondering whether I had got her (Barbara Daly) name right. smile and why they were discontinued.

clementine Fri 10-Mar-17 18:18:00

I would def try and hold on until you can get to the shops Fumancho but if you are in the vicinity of a supermarket even, I got a lovely lipstick L'Oreal in Sainsburys, its my all time favourite, a sort of natural rose colour, and didn't break the bank either.

Ankers Fri 10-Mar-17 18:30:50

I did the Boots thing this week. The No 7 counter was the one that did it.

I am Calico? Something like that. Basically fair skin, ie pale! [though I am not blue eyed].
They photographed both sides of my face.
I ended up spending £26 even with a 3 for 2 offer, plus she advised me to buy vaseline,rosy lips[£1.99]. Said a bright lipstick would look a bit silly on my face.

nina1959 Fri 10-Mar-17 18:37:21

Fumanchu, you sound either a winter or summer season so your colour season palette is blue based (cool). This means you can and should eliminate the orange reds, peach and golds and go for anything with a hint of blue so that's plum, dusky pink, soft pink and light touches of rose or wine red.

Ana Fri 10-Mar-17 18:37:49

I bet she didn't actually say that, Ankers! grin

Ankers Fri 10-Mar-17 18:38:46

Yes she did!
We were getting quite chatty by that time grin

Ankers Fri 10-Mar-17 18:41:12

She got the measure of me quite easily!
My opening words were I was going to a wedding and I hadnt really used make up in the last 10 years. Her opening words more or less were, that I would want quite a natural look she assumed?

Ana Fri 10-Mar-17 18:42:22

Doesn't sound very professional for Boots staff, chatty or not!

fumanchu Sun 02-Apr-17 21:09:47

Still not been to a shop with lipstick yet, but made it to the hairdressers so that's a start! Boots no7 counter sounds good.
TY Nina, I def don't suit orange or peach, I look like Fumanchu's granny in colours like that! Think I tried an online test thingy once and it said I'm a winter person.

rosesarered Sun 02-Apr-17 23:05:45

Just don't let them talk you into anything!grin

fumanchu Tue 04-Apr-17 13:30:58

No I won't -- been caught like that too many times already smile