Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Brown spots on back of hands ()liver spots?)

(43 Posts)
Margi Thu 30-Mar-17 15:29:08

I seem to have more brown spots on my hands than anybody else my age (70). Could it be due to a great deal of pushchair/pram pushing, and gardening in the sun? Years ago I had never heard of protecting my hands. How can I get rid of the horrible things?

whitewave Thu 30-Mar-17 15:31:07

I've got loads -I ignore them

Grannyknot Thu 30-Mar-17 15:33:53

I have them too all over the backs of my hands. I don't think liver and sun spots are the same thing, mine are definitely sun.

Every time I go to the beautician for a facial, she tries to sell me a course of treatment to make them less dark or lighten them or something, but I don't mind them. I'm just pleased that my hands work. I also have very prominent veins on the back of my hands, more so on my well-worked left hand.

Ce la vie ... sunshine

shysal Thu 30-Mar-17 16:15:15

I have brown spots on the sides of my face as well as my hands. I usually just ignore them along with the mole-like keratosis, and pretend they are beauty spots. I have always put them down to sun damage. My hands are already deeply tanned this year. There is no point applying sunblock as they are in and out of water all day. Fortunately my skin rarely burns.

PRINTMISS Thu 30-Mar-17 16:22:25

Ca la vie indeed Granny. I have them all over my hands, some dark some not so dark, and up my arms as well. Probably in places I can't see shock, they do not seem to be affected by the sun, and over the years I have just come to ignore them. At the moment I also have very deep vein ,over my hands, which some grnsnettters might find a bit ugly, although they are just showing my age, and again ca la vie. A bit scrawny, I just hope that people I meet are so in thrall of my personality that they do not notice these things. wink

Cherrytree59 Thu 30-Mar-17 18:19:43

Mine arrived on mass last year
When I put my bb cream on in the morning I also rub some on the back of my hands
If I'm going out in the Evening I rub a small amount of foundation on the back of my hands.
This seems to cover them up quite well and give an even skin tone.

wot Thu 30-Mar-17 18:37:45

Printmiss ? I'm starting get loads of brown spots.....hoping they all eventually join up and give me a good tan! Mine are where the skin has been exposed to the sun.

Auntieflo Thu 30-Mar-17 19:36:17

I've had brown spots on the back of my hands, since I was 50. I don't like the look of them, but as Grannyknot says, c'est la vie.

Penstemmon Thu 30-Mar-17 19:42:53

Me too! Veiny hands with brown spots! Brown spots on face... fortunately I don't really care as the people I care about are not bothered by them! grin

Deedaa Thu 30-Mar-17 20:03:48

People used to advise bleaching them with lemon juice. I doubt whether it works and life is really too short!

GrandmaKT Thu 30-Mar-17 22:48:01

I read somewhere (can't remember where exactly but it was a medical book) that the brown spots are caused by the breakdown of melanin which also causes your hair to lose its colour - so you are likely to go grey and get 'liver spots' around the same time. Oh joy!

KatyK Fri 31-Mar-17 10:55:31

Another one here with veiny hands and one or two brown spots. Hey ho.

NanaandGrampy Fri 31-Mar-17 11:11:11

My hands are pretty clear ( touch wood ) but I do use No7 Lift and Luminate Dark Spot Corrector and it seems to work .

I use it on my face too .

Marmight Fri 31-Mar-17 11:25:04

I've had them for a long while on my hands; it's just another ageing thing to put up with. I also have solar lentigos on my face which I have had removed with the ice stuff used for removing verrucas! Painful but does the trick. I had a delightful heart shaped one just beside my eye. I think we just have to accept that bits fall off and other nasties appear as we age grin

retrolady2 Fri 31-Mar-17 11:26:32

I've got loads and I'm only 61. They've been there for ages and I actually thought they were freckles, until one of those over made up cosmetic salespeople in Boots tried to sell me something to fade them. I didn't buy it and I'm still telling myself they're freckles! Actually my hands, now I take a close look, are a flippin' mess, not helped by the fact that I only remember my gardening gloves when I'm up to the elbows in earth, stones etc... which reminds me, I need to get building that rockery. Oh dear ... I think I'm a lost cause.

retrolady2 Fri 31-Mar-17 11:28:19

Marmight I love the idea of heart shaped mark. People pay money to get that sort of thing! envy

Marmight Fri 31-Mar-17 11:57:19

It was treated with the verruca stuff about 5x but didn't disappear and then one day I woke up and it had gone, disappeared, just like that. Very odd confused. I am very freckly and reckon the liver spots are just joined up freckles which have put on weight stretched as I've grown

emmasnan Fri 31-Mar-17 12:19:14

I too have lots of brown spots on the backs of my hands I'm 61 and put it down to years of buggy pushing - I worked as a Registered Childminder for 20 years and was out every day. I also have pale skin and freckles, I use sun screen from March to October. I've never thought to try and get rid of them,they're just part of me.

Margi Fri 31-Mar-17 12:59:02

I'm dark blonde, still at 70, and tan well to a golden colour. "Latino" I have been called, although I believe this was more for my wide hips! Will try all your tips peeps, thank you!

Yorkshiregel Sat 01-Apr-17 09:42:53

Just tell people they are freckles! Don't worry about them. Not as noticeable as you think.

Rosina Sat 01-Apr-17 09:43:14

I had a strange patch appear on my leg some years ago - quite small, flat and painless, pinky brown in colour. 'Showed it to GP who said it was nothing to worry about, and a friend suggested cider vinegar. Dabbed that on each night for a few weeks and it went. It might have gone anyway of course, but friend had got rid of a small warty type mark on her arm by the same means. Might well be worth a try with brown spots. As time goes by I find more and more uses for vinegar - it will probably save the world eventually.

Caro1954 Sat 01-Apr-17 09:54:09

Don't worry about them, or anything else age related! I'm growing out my highlighted hair after donkeys years and am enjoying seeing what colour I really am! The grey/white is not dissimilar to the colour of the highlights - I'm saving lots of money!

luluaugust Sat 01-Apr-17 10:30:54

Yes hands covered in them, they go beautifully with the arthritic fingers, don't worry about them.

Jalima Sat 01-Apr-17 10:44:24

The time to worry is when you get them on your face shock as well as hands.

I think Boots do a handcream which is supposed to get rid of them - other makes may be available. I don't know if it works as I haven't rried it.

Tessa101 Sat 01-Apr-17 10:51:24

Mine arrived on mass last year around my 60th birthday all over my neck, my dear dad had tons of the them but my mum didn't have any. When I asked dr about them she said there were age spots.