Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Now I'm retired what do I do with all my smart(er) work clothes?

(55 Posts)
loopylou Mon 03-Apr-17 11:22:26

I'm gazing at a wardrobe (there's a second one in the other bedroom hmm) of skirts, trousers, jackets and dresses that are unlikely to be worn other than on the rare occasion. I really don't need 8 pairs black trousers, 10 pairs navy ones, too many skirts to admit too etc, etc. Everything's in really good condition.

I'm living in jeans and tee shirts, and casual smart if I go out but am struggling with giving the lot to the charity shop. eBay doesn't appeal so any ideas just how many clothes I really need and how do I stop the regretting I got rid of something?
I can't put stuff in the attic because it's full of DH's crap and I have also remembered I have numerous packs of new tights that will never get worn.

Any ideas gratefully received!

pensionpat Mon 03-Apr-17 12:08:03

I love the fact that my new life demands fewer clothes. I also like the fact that what I have in my wardrobe I actually wear. it takes a while to be sure you don't need certain things. I would dispose of them gradually. Less painful. I read a good tip. Hang all clothes facing the same way. When you have worn them, face them the other way and stick to that. You will see exactly which clothes are unworn.

And if you do have regrets, treat is a shopping opportunity. Enjoy.

glammanana Mon 03-Apr-17 12:18:06

It took me a good 6 months to gradually sort through my working wardrobe when I first retired,in the end I did the ebay route and made one day a week available to do that and it was very profitable indeed.
I kept 3/4 smart jackets and trousers and some dresses that could be dressed up or down and even now wear the jackets with jeans for a casual look.

Jayanna9040 Mon 03-Apr-17 12:25:51

Going on Wednesday to help a friend sort out her wardrobe. Just love doing that. Mx and match? Team the more formal with the casual. Also pick one or two black trousers (for example) wear them to death and throw them away. It will whittle down over time.

loopylou Mon 03-Apr-17 13:44:43

Maybe I do need to go down the eBay route, the thought of making some money would make sense. I will look into it after I've thinned everything down.
Perhaps I need to invite you here Jayanna!

NanaandGrampy Mon 03-Apr-17 13:46:07

I ebayed mine, suits, coats etc and was amazed what people bought. It's the way to go !

Jayanna9040 Mon 03-Apr-17 13:52:43

Ooh yes! Wish I had the courage to set up a business. I've even got a title for it. The Wardrobe Orderly. What do you think? ???

Charleygirl Mon 03-Apr-17 13:55:41

I slowly, over years got rid of clothes to charities but certain items are still with me because they were expensive and I cannot part with them although I know I will never wear them again.

I agree, you should try ebay.

TriciaF Mon 03-Apr-17 14:44:33

I still wear mine to go shopping in town smile
I'm not out of place because it's a rough and ready market town and everyone else of my generation is wearing clothes that were fashionable 20+ years ago.

hildajenniJ Mon 03-Apr-17 16:05:19

I didn't have this problem. When I retired I just threw away my nurses uniform. grin

hildajenniJ Mon 03-Apr-17 16:06:19

ps, I should have said that it wasn't worth giving away!

M0nica Mon 03-Apr-17 18:12:03

I kept one black suit for funerals and gave the rest to a charity shop (this was pre-ebay)

KatyK Mon 03-Apr-17 19:19:35

I have been retired 8 years from my office job. I gave some of my clothes to my sister (who is a similar size and still works in an office). I gave some to a charity shop and I still wear some of them. If we pop out for a drink or lunch, I might put a skirt and top on that I used to wear for work.

thatbags Mon 03-Apr-17 19:39:45

Read Marie Kondo's book. (suggestion)

tidyskatemum Mon 03-Apr-17 19:45:21

I gave all mine to the charity shop - thought they needed the money more than me - except for 2 pairs of lovely lovely shoes which I still get out and sigh over longingly from time to time!

morethan2 Mon 03-Apr-17 19:48:14

I'm 10 days into my retirement. My colleagues suggested a clothes bonfire. I haven't done that but what's made me very happy is that I haven't had to ironed them. They may just stay in the ironing basket for ever smile

grannypiper Mon 03-Apr-17 20:50:30

loopylou and morethan2 Enjoy your new found freedom brew&cupcake

MawBroon Mon 03-Apr-17 21:13:49

Jackets will always come in useful - with jeans for the supermarket shop or smarter trousers for lunch out.
Never wore dresses so I don't have any and I haven't worn a skirt in the last 8 years! It's the heels I look at and wonder how on EARTH I wore them all day, every day .

grandma60 Mon 03-Apr-17 21:30:19

All mine went straight to the charity shop although I was tempted to have a bonfire.grin. The sense of freedom was wonderful.

Iam64 Tue 04-Apr-17 08:52:07

Yes, the charity shop. You won't wear them again, it's great!

David1968 Tue 04-Apr-17 09:40:33

Mine went to the charity shop - agree with tidyskatemum that they could get some cash for a good cause. Great feeling to drop the clothes off there!

GrammaH Tue 04-Apr-17 09:43:30

Do you have a dress agency near you? They're very useful & not as much hassle as ebay!

ctussaud Tue 04-Apr-17 09:51:12

I have not read every single post in this thread, but I've heard of organisations who help women back into the workplace who need suitable clothes for interviews and to wear to work. Why not try and track one of these down and maybe give them some of your lovely clothes?

inishowen Tue 04-Apr-17 09:55:44

We have a nearly new shop nearby. They take anything which is fashionable and they can sell. It's full of mother of the bride outfits! I sold a new handbag there for £30. They gave me £15. Don't be offended if you take your things to one of these shops and they only want a small percentage. They have to be very picky.

Yorkshiregel Tue 04-Apr-17 10:30:07

Charity? Oxfam/Help the Aged/Heart Foundation/Breast Cancer/NSPCC? All gratefully received.

If one is black you could keep it for funerals. Keep the one you like most for best. Any suitable for weddings? Ditch the rest.

Treat yourself and buy casual stuff now you are retired. Do not clutter up your home with things you do not need.