Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Hairdressing awkward problem

(42 Posts)
Daisydoo2 Fri 15-Dec-17 10:25:30

I have been having my hair dyed, cut and styled with the same hairdresser for years. Unfortunately the price is getting too much every 4 weeks. I can dye my hair myself to save a substantial amount (I am quite good at it and do my friends hair) but, because my hairdresser has done it for years, I don't know how to tell her I just want a cut probably every 6 or 7 weeks, I feel really disloyal so haven't booked my next appointment and gave an excuse that I will phone later. On the grand scale of things I know this is pathetic but I have no tact when I say things and don't want to cause any upset. What do you say to prevent awkwardness. Thank you.

mumofmadboys Fri 15-Dec-17 10:31:53

I would just be honest and book an appt just for a cut in 7 weeks and say you are sorry but you are having to cut back a bit this year. I'm sure it happens all the time.

glammanana Fri 15-Dec-17 10:56:27

Daisy I would also be up front and explain you have to cut back on your budget from now on she will understand and be glad she is not loosing you as a customer altogether.
My hairdresser charges £28 just for a cut and blow on short hair,she charges me £20 for a trim on my long hair but thats with no blow dry so I can't imagine how much a colour would cost.

Willow500 Fri 15-Dec-17 11:15:28

I'm sort of facing a similar problem. My hairdresser has been colouring my hair for over 20 years now and is sort of a friend after all this time. At the moment I'm still working so can afford the £40 every 6 weeks but do wonder at what point I'll have to cut back and tell her I can't afford it any more. Equally I can't colour it myself so might just have to buy a wig grin I would just be honest with yours and tell her you're having to budget a bit more and would she mind just doing the cutting now. I'm sure it happens a lot as people's incomes change.

silverlining48 Fri 15-Dec-17 11:20:14

My hairdresser comes to my home every 6 or 7 weeks. I saw her yesterday and she cut and blow dried my hair as well as colouring with the mesh stuff which is a bit fiddly, total cost £30. Gave her a nice bottle of wine and a card, as its christmas otherwise i tip on top as she is here for over 2 hours. everyone happy.
Daisy, Every four weeks is very frequent, just spread appointments longer apart when you make the next one. Or do as you have done and say you will ring to make the next one. Gradually can work without having to say anything. Good luck.

starbird Fri 15-Dec-17 11:33:51

I colour and cut my hair as well, partly due to budget reasons but also since my last hairdresser moved I have not found a good one. Also, I hate having it done - It takes so long I just want to yell at them to stop. My last hairdresser did not mind me washing it at home and she just sprayed it to make it damp, which helped to reduce the time.

NanaandGrampy Fri 15-Dec-17 12:30:54

I had my hair done every 4 weeks whilst I was working and I'm horrified now to find I can have it done 4 times a year and it still looks good. As I'm very fair and now going white you cant see my roots anyway.

My hairdresser of many years totally understood that I would be cutting back my budget when I retired , she wasn't in the least bit worried.

I still go to her home every 3 months or so and it works well for both of us.

Id just say Daisy , its a fact of life budgets get smaller - maybe she could even give you a better rate? Or lengthen the time between appointments.

Friday Fri 15-Dec-17 13:02:23

Best to come straight out with it. I’m sure s/he’ll understand. I find my hairdresser does a great cut and I have the odd highlight/lowlight put in, but she’s hopeless (IMO) blow drying my hair the way I like it.

Now when we get to the blow drying but she hands me a brush and a hairdryer and I do that myself. Cuts the bill down quite a bit too.

Greyduster Fri 15-Dec-17 14:35:45

I think it’s very difficult when your hairdresser is also a friend. Mine has been cutting my hair for nearly forty years. I go every six weeks or so and pay £20 for a cut and blow dry which I think is very reasonable. I didn’t realise how reasonable until her mum died and she had to close the salon for a while to sort things out. I needed a cut before I went on holiday and rang round a few local hairdressers. I ended up paying nearly twice as much.

BlueBelle Fri 15-Dec-17 15:04:37

If she’s a friend surely she ll understand I wouldn’t think twice to just tell her the truth
Mine is similar to yours Greyduster it’s £21 for a wash cut and blow dry and I go about every five to six weeks and that’s enough money for me

janeainsworth Fri 15-Dec-17 15:07:07

Your hairdresser will be more upset if you just stop going to her, without saying anything, than if you are honest and tell her you can’t afford to have it coloured any more and just want to have it cut.

Daisydoo2 Fri 15-Dec-17 15:21:16

Thank you for all your advice. Like Willow I feel that my hairdresser knows me well and a friend. I am also a bit embarrassed by my financial situation. Perhaps i shall colour it myself first then make an appointment for a cut after the event so to speak. Or if my colouring is really bad... go somewhere else for a cut. Can't believe I am worrying so much over this! Give me a major issue and I can sort it.... presented with a minor one and I fall apart!

pollyperkins Sat 16-Dec-17 09:07:50

Goodness I pay over £40 for a wash cut and blow dry! Don't bother with colour - I prefer it natural ie white!

Loobs Sat 16-Dec-17 09:31:38

I got chatting to a woman in a supermarket the other day and said how nice her hair colour was and she told me that she had used a special shampoo from boots to get out all the brown colour that she had been putting on for years. I then said "Oh so what brand of colour did you use to get your hair that lovely grey" and she said that it was her natural colour. I wish my hair was grey.

fluff Sat 16-Dec-17 10:14:27

I own a hairdressing salon, this happens from time to time, especially when people retire, just tell her that you can't afford the colour any more, but will keep coming for the cut, she will understand.

Nanny123 Sat 16-Dec-17 10:19:08

I have the same problem. I have a lovely girl that comes to the house and has done for years. It was fine when I was working and could afford it but I am not working now. She charges 45.00 for a cut, colour and blow dry and to be honest I am never very happy with the way she blow dries it and often washes it again after she leaves. Like you I could quite easily colour it myself, but there is no way she would come all the way to me just for a wet cut, which is all I need really. So to do that I will have to find a local hairdresser that I can get this done in, I hate to think that I will be letting her down, but at the end of the day I cant afford 45.00 every 4-5 weeks.

vickymeldrew Sat 16-Dec-17 10:32:03

Aren’t we a sensitive bunch on Gransnet! All slightly nervous and considering our hairdressers feelings above our own pockets. The relationship with a hairdresser is such a personal one though. As I age my hair is much thinner and I sometimes think my hairdresser does a lot of ‘pretend cutting’ to show value for money. Home colouring is a huge growth area and products have improved so much that many more people are using them. Hairdressers must be well used to their clients using this option.

goldengirl Sat 16-Dec-17 10:44:27

I too found colour rinsing my hair at the hairdressers expensive. I asked for just the cut instead and she suggested some very good products for colour rinsing my hair at home - I just want a hint of colour - and it's all worked out fine. It's best be honest I think and I found it wasn't an awkward situation after all.

JanaNana Sat 16-Dec-17 11:00:28

Before you book your next appointment do your own colour before you go. When booking next say it will just be a cut this time. Then when you have your appointment you can say my situations changed at the moment and I,m having to do things differently. Yes your hairdresser has her business to run, but as you have been a good loyal customer and friends with her she should be able to accept this without any problem. I would think other customers have had to make cutbacks at times so you won't be the first. It will be the initial awkwardness I think but once you,ve done it then next time will be easier. I always used to book my next appointment in advance while paying my bill, but this tends to create more of a permanence. Just ring as and when between appointments to be more flexible.

TellNo1Ok Sat 16-Dec-17 11:25:50

a couple of years ago i actually changed hairdressers... though i loved them ... they had increased their costs over time and i thought... hold on .. this is a step too far ...

When i'd found another i liked i wrote to the owner.. who i knew and admired... telling him why i wouldn't be back... no reply but my new hairdresser has actually been a breath of fresh air...

sarahellenwhitney Sat 16-Dec-17 11:39:55

Daisydo2
What exactly are you trying to achieve? As you already dye your own hair that is not the issue but I cannot see how you need a cut or trim every four weeks unless it is growing like grass. I go eight weeks between cuts.
I do not think you would offend your stylist by being honest but do you have to justify your actions to anyone?If you want more space between cuts and your actions appear to upset your stylist then look elsewhere. You have paid for her services so you owe her nothing.

Daisydoo2 Sat 16-Dec-17 15:26:42

Sarah I haven't dyed my own hair yet, I do my friends hair. It is the 4 weekly dye that is so expensive which I need to rectify... without upsetting my hairdresser, I am trying to work out how to do this.

blue60 Sat 16-Dec-17 17:29:12

I think just be honest and say you're having to cut back on expenses and this is one of them.

I stopped having my hair highlighted nine months ago. I am naturally blonde and found my natural silver is coming through and blends rather well in to my hair.

The cost for a cut and blow dry is £30 which I have every six weeks or so to keep the shape good (a bob). Colouring was £75, which I was beginning to feel as a luxury I didn't really want. So, I just booked in for a cut and was never asked why.

I'd prefer to spend £75 on other things.

GrannyLondon Sat 16-Dec-17 17:35:57

Why not try longer between appointments? 6 to 8 weeks might be fine. Try that first, then have a rethink if that doesn’t work.
Explain things to her. I’m sure she would rather keep your custom.
Golden girl. Which products did your hairdresser recommend?

Lazigirl Sat 16-Dec-17 17:39:27

I'm starting to think I am being ripped off for cut and blow dry (no colour) costing £49, which I can't really justify. I don't live in a city either! I don't colour my hair but it is looking very insipid as it loses colour, not a nice white, but pepper and salt look. I dread to think how much even highlights will cost. Can anyone recommend an easy home dye?