Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

To cut or not to cut?

(90 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 03-Feb-18 10:49:05

I am amazed to find myself posting in Style and Beauty, because I have neither neither and I am mostly pretty careless of how I look!

Anyway, here I am!

I have more or less straight (but a bit of a kink) below shoulder length very dark brown hair - no grey! - honest guv, all me own brown hair!

I am thoroughly sick of my fringe as my hair is very fine and the fringe does not lie down but flips upwards especially if there is the tiniest hint of damp in the air. It looks OK briefly when first washed, but then just looks a mess.

I have tried growing it out, but I just get even more hair going in crazy directions! - so I abandon ship and get the fringe cut once more.

When I was younger, I had a sort of urchin cut, but I suspect that will not look quite so good on a more droopy face. And I have large glasses to accommodate a large varifocal - I am very short-sighted and have marked astigmatism, so am not prepared to go for smaller glasses and sacrifice the ability to see - it's bad enough as it is!!

So........what to do? Cut it all off??? My aim is to have something that requires nil effort on my part! I just want to run a comb through it in the morning and be good to go.

Grannyknot Sat 03-Feb-18 11:11:47

Lucky when my hair misbehaves, my daughter says "You need product!" - it's amazing what a drop of serum can do for fly away hair. Have you tried that on your fringe?

Teetime Sat 03-Feb-18 11:28:53

I find that a light and I do stress light 'iron' with the straighteners will make my fringe behave (must use a protecting product first I use Extraordinary oil)

silverlining48 Sat 03-Feb-18 11:32:08

My hair has gone very thin and fine. I have a very small heated hair straightener which works wonders on my fringe.
Yes product is the way to go. Serum, dry shampoo, moose, ? mouse, ! hairspray type styling/blow drying stuff. Wax....on and on it goes. I get thoroughly mixed up with what i put where in what order and with what.

tessagee Sat 03-Feb-18 16:59:56

I find that John Frieda's Frizz Ease serum used daily, coupled with a good cut every 6 weeks works for me.

LadyGracie Sat 03-Feb-18 17:26:17

Don’t cut it off, I did and regretted it. Do what others have said ‘use some products’

Jalima1108 Sat 03-Feb-18 17:27:05

What about a chin-length bob? with or without a fringe - try without first obviously!

Up seems to be very fashionable too, in a rather untidy6 bun - but beware of an Essex facelift look.

I cannot get my hair as I want it no matter what I try. Some of it fuzzes, but not all, so I've been using Argan oil (from Boots) before I wash it and it does seem to be a bit smoother. However, at the moment it needs a jolly good cut - or should I just grow it into a chin-length bob? hmm

Jalima1108 Sat 03-Feb-18 17:28:44

I just want to run a comb through it in the morning and be good to go.
I only know one person who can do that, she has the most amazing hair. Everyone else either has to use a hot brush, hairdrier or younger people seem to screw it up on top.

M0nica Sat 03-Feb-18 17:40:20

I have dead straight hair with a will of its own, so I go with the hair so always a fringe and always fairly short - and that provides a style that is wash and go. I used to do a lot of swimming and would go swimming in the lunch hour when I worked, and you can only do that with a wash and comb style.

I do not even own a hair dryer. My only concession to products is combing a little Argan oil through my hair after washing, like Jalima

SpringyChicken Sat 03-Feb-18 17:47:32

Hair mousse keeps mine under control. Why not try some products on yours before opting for the chop.

KatyK Sat 03-Feb-18 18:44:50

Don't cut if off! As someone who has lost their hair, I recommend treasuring it!

Luckygirl Sat 03-Feb-18 18:51:08

Right - so I will resist the cutting off!! - for now anyway.

I wash it in argan oil shampoo then use argan oil conditioner - but it is still flippy floppy fine. And the fringe is a total pain - I get it hanging (like a proper fringe) then go outside and it turns into a fizzy mess. Hopeless.

A bit of me feels that if it is going to look rubbish anyway, it might as well be short rubbish that needs no effort!

KatyK - I am sorry you have lost your hair. I will try and treasure this extraordinary mess! smile

Cherrytree59 Sat 03-Feb-18 20:54:17

I have had a fringe all of my life
Only baby photographs without,
thats because I was bald!
It has a cows lick and blows away in the wind
An absolute pain on a daily basis.
But I can't be without it...
Why?
Because I had the misfortune to be born with a high forehead.
And I am now the proud owner of 11 lines between my eyebrows.
Fringe is the cheap option to botox hmm

Would it possible for you Luckygirl to try on some wigs in different styles?
Many large department stores sells wigs and hair pieces
A side fringe cut at an angle maybe a better option rather a full fringe.

Fringe can be altered by either changing parting from the middle to the side or
vice versa
Or as I have a full fringe with no parting.

Good lucksmile

Cherrytree59 Sat 03-Feb-18 20:56:45

PS I use a blast of dry shampoo even when it is just washed.

Jalima1108 Sat 03-Feb-18 20:58:50

Some people suit a fringe, others don't.

A chin-length bob would not be too drastic, if you don't like it, then it would easily grow again as long as it is not layered.
It could make it look thicker and perhaps only the ends may need turning under in the mornings with a hot brush - 3 minutes maximum! (and only if you're going out smile).

I do remember longing for a fringe when I was very young and I used to snip a little bit off every now and again until I had a rather sparse fringe. DM said 'don't think I don't know what you're doing'. I think I've always had a fringe since then.

glammanana Sat 03-Feb-18 22:01:32

Luckygirl I am no expert but could you be using too much argan oil product with the shampoo & conditioner both being oil based,it could be giving your hair that "limp" texture,I would try any conditioner just on the ends of your hair and use a firm hold mousse then dry with large barrelled brush for some extra volume
Is your hair long enough to clip up in a bulldog clip it will always look tidy then even if your fringe has a mind of its own,I keep mine up or plat it down my back I very rarely have it loose it is too long to keep neat and I don't suit it short.

SpringyChicken Sat 03-Feb-18 23:06:57

Short hair does need some effort, Luckygirl, otherwise it will lie flat to the head and that usually looks dire. I agree with Glammanana, go easy on the oil. Use mousse and a vent brush for body.

Luckygirl Sat 03-Feb-18 23:10:09

Thanks for all these tips. I use the argan oil ones because otherwise it is just a mess - a bit like a cloud really! It either flies about or sticks to my head with the static. Great!

I clip it up most of the time - which is why the fringe takes centre stage!

Gagagran Sun 04-Feb-18 09:31:13

I use Schwarzkopf Vivo mattifying powder on my fine (short) hair and it's brilliant. Don't need any hot brushes or other boosters. I wash it using Pantene shampoo and conditioner for adding body, dry it then put rollers in. Take out the rollers, brush and add Vivo and it's good to go. Lasts for days too - I only wash it once a week and it looks good even until then. Best thing I have ever found. Saw Lisa Armstrong recommend it on Strictly this last season when she was doing a makeup demo.

elleks Sun 04-Feb-18 09:39:50

Not hair-related, but I'm jealous that you can wear large glasses; I'm severely short-sighted, and have had to go for smaller frames, as they can't do my prescription in the size I prefer.

GrandmaMoira Sun 04-Feb-18 09:42:04

I don't use product. I have fine straight hair and product such as mousse looks okay for a couple of hours then goes very limp and greasy.

cavewoman Sun 04-Feb-18 09:42:06

Jalima I object! It's the Croydon facelift. Us poor Essex girls get the blame for everything!

Icyalittle Sun 04-Feb-18 09:46:08

I just googled some haircuts for fine hair - several good images came up such as the actress Robin Wright with longer top and side swept fringe. Worth a look?

Icyalittle Sun 04-Feb-18 09:49:29

Like this.

Icyalittle Sun 04-Feb-18 09:50:16

Sorry, it didn’t seem to have worked, and now I’ve done it twice. Bother!