Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

ankle Boots?

(75 Posts)
sharon59 Mon 17-Sep-18 13:25:36

Don't laugh, Just bought my first pair of ankle boots, I know it's sad. They are burgundy in colour with a small heel. Haven't a clue what to wear with them. I seem to live in straight leg trousers, but the bottoms don't comfortably fit over the top of the boot, do I tuck it in? won't they come out? Don't want to look daft, just trying to upgrade my non existent style! Should say I'm not exactly slim and 5'2 3/4!! Any advice please

HildaW Mon 17-Sep-18 13:59:47

Nowadays most rules are out of the window (thankfully). I was mid change the other winter (not got boots out this year yet). I found myself wearing ankle boots with a knee length A line skirt and caught sight of myself in the mirror and liked the result. I've seen ladies with better legs wear them with quite short skirts and thick tights and they look good too. Just mix it up a bit and go with what feels good for you! P.S. do like the sound of yours!

Willow500 Mon 17-Sep-18 14:04:45

Ankle boots and dark tights or leggings look great either with a skirt or a dress. If you wear trousers I think they probably look better if they skim the top of the foot rather than the top of the boot.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Sep-18 14:13:05

Definitely dark tights, skirts or dresses.

Never tuck your trousers in the boots. My trousers and skinny jeans just sort of meet the boots (I am 5'2") Ankle boots are my everyday wear once the weather turns.

Marydoll Mon 17-Sep-18 15:05:17

I'm 5' 1" and I wear ankle boots all the time with, jeggings, skinny jeans, jumper dresses and thick tights.
Just as Willow says. Never tuck in. Now you can update your style even further, by treating yourself to clothes which go with the boots. ?

bikergran Mon 17-Sep-18 15:09:57

hm..Ive been wearing them wrong all these yrs ...lol
so if we dont "tuck in" what do I do with the bit thats too long as it wont go over the boot as the width of the jeans/leggings/jegging is narrower than the top of the boot. hmmm...

Marydoll Mon 17-Sep-18 15:14:04

?You have a point, bikergran grin

JudyJudy12 Mon 17-Sep-18 15:19:40

I love ankle boots, soon be time to get them out again, I like skirts with thick tights. You will have to shorten your trousers sharon or buy ankle grazers.

MiniMoon Mon 17-Sep-18 15:43:35

I don't think that there is a right or wrong way to wear trousers with ankle boots. Depending on the length, I either tuck the bottoms in or leave them out. I am currently looking for a new pair, but there is so much choice. I need more time to decide.

sharon59 Mon 17-Sep-18 16:05:52

Thank you all, interesting if not confusing. Think an hour in front of the mirror trying out different combinations will be the answer. Don't have a skirt at the moment, but like the thought of one with thick tights for the Autumn. Will have to be brave. Thanks again

Pittcity Mon 17-Sep-18 16:20:00

I tuck trousers into socks in cold weather. The top of the sock peeks out of the ankle boots...sometimes I go mad with a bright colour!!
Otherwise why not try rolling the trousers up to ankle grazer length to see if it suits...anything goes nowadays if you are comfortable.

M0nica Mon 17-Sep-18 17:06:56

This winter I will be wearing my burgundy red suede ankle boots with a raspberry red tunic dress and really thick mid grey tights.

petra Mon 17-Sep-18 19:28:21

bikergran
The boot/ narrow trouser problem. What you do is put the boots inside the trousers before you put the trousers on.
Then put your legs into the trouser and boot. It works grin

Marydoll Mon 17-Sep-18 20:21:35

M0nica, I like the sound of your outfit.?

lemongrove Mon 17-Sep-18 20:45:19

Am imagining a lot of scenes with ladies of a certain age falling over whilst trying to put ankle boots on.grin
It’s not something I have ever worried about ( or even thought of) before now.?

Fennel Mon 17-Sep-18 20:52:31

I was having a look at winter boots in Hotter today. I would love some of those pixie ankle boots, but they don't give enough support for me.
I hope to get some of the lace-up ones. Maybe in burgundy like M0nica.

Cherrytree59 Mon 17-Sep-18 20:56:03

Boot leg jeans, cords, or trousers are perfect with ankle boots.

DoraMarr Mon 17-Sep-18 21:09:48

I always wear ankle boots in the winter, and sometimes high tops in the summer, and usually with dresses. Bare legs in summer, with midi length dresses, and black tights or leggings in winter, with shorter dresses in cord and wool. I wear trousers and jeans too, but either roll them up or wear ankle grazers. I don’t own a skirt at all, but I do have several jumpsuits. Ankle boots go with everything, and they are so comfortable. They are great with leggings, because you can’t see the end, and great with tights, because you can’t see any wrinkles. I tend to buy flat ones because I find walking in heels difficult. I bought a beautiful pair last winter, lace up, a bit like Doc Martins, and with embroidery up the side of the ankle. They are flat, waterproof, leather, with a good grip on the sole, and I can walk miles in them.

MissAdventure Mon 17-Sep-18 21:12:55

I usually wear thick, long socks with ankle boots.
You can gather them a bit above the boot to cover trouser bottoms.

MargaretX Mon 17-Sep-18 21:56:09

I love them, my trousers end where the boots begin, I have other trousers for flat shoes.

bikergran Tue 18-Sep-18 11:53:47

petra having now done my aerobics with my boots and trousers I can now see that it works smile I have been totting round town, but didn't notice anyone pointing at my ankle boots...so must have got it right lol lol.

off to the shops again soon..byeee

bikergran Tue 18-Sep-18 11:54:07

trotting! not totting dohhhh

KatyK Tue 18-Sep-18 12:30:30

I agree that they look great with skirts and dresses as well as jeans. I have several pairs and I love them.

glammanana Tue 18-Sep-18 13:15:07

Its time to get my boots out again I don't need any new ones this year thank goodness.
I wear my ankle boots with my jeans resting on the top of the boots at ankle grazer length and also have some jeans/legging from Bon Marche which go under the foot you are best buying them in the shorter length and they don't go baggy then.

wilygran Tue 18-Sep-18 14:11:35

I'm with the leggings/thick tights brigade. I find skinny jeans are too much hard work to get off nowadays!