Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Leggings

(29 Posts)
Framilode Tue 09-Oct-18 10:17:04

I am fed up with wearing jeans and like the look of leggings with a shortish dress or tunic on top. I think the look is more flattering and modern than jeans and a jumper.

The thing is my husband hates them and every time I mention it he brings up the comedian Max Wall. I want him to think that I look nice but the way he would like me to dress would be a slinky dress and high heels. That is just not my style.

What would you do? Dress the way you want or for the husband. Sometimes I feel it's just another way of controlling me that I can't even happily choose my own look.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 09-Oct-18 10:24:45

Dress for yourself, for comfort and what makes you feel nice. Leggings and a nice tunic dress/jumper dress can look really stylish, especially with a pair of ankle/pixie boots.

Willow500 Tue 09-Oct-18 10:26:52

Why mention it - just buy some and a nice longish top and put them on - make sure you get thicker ones though that you can't see through!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 09-Oct-18 10:30:41

Top Shop leggings are thick, come in a variety of colours and are good quality.

Bathsheba Tue 09-Oct-18 10:37:43

Definitely dress for yourself and your comfort. Slinky dress and high heels?! Heavens, what decade is he living in? Obviously back in the dark ages when women were no more than their husband's chattels ?.
Just go and buy the clothes you want, without mentioning it.

Bathsheba Tue 09-Oct-18 10:41:09

Oh, and while you're about it, try picking him up on his sartorial choices ?

Teetime Tue 09-Oct-18 10:43:50

Yes I would dress for yourself and I do but if DH finds something unattractive I try to take an objective view of his opinion. Sometimes he's right. He doesn't like leggings (and we get the Max Wall thing) but he knows I find them comfortable around the house with a long top - wouldnt leave the house in them though I have short fat legs black jeans work better for me.

Framilode Tue 09-Oct-18 10:44:19

Thanks. You're all really echoing what I'm thinking. Shops here I come.

Diana54 Tue 09-Oct-18 10:45:05

Max Wall what a horrid thought I have images of a pot belly and knock knees awful.
Leggings are much nicer, with a long top and warm in winter, just buy them, but reserve the slinky dress for those special occasions!.

paddyann Tue 09-Oct-18 10:55:28

I love a nice dress,and wear dresses most of the time but I also wear leggings and tunic tops .My OH likes the look says its like mini skirts and thick tights...lol takes him back to the 70's.

KatyK Tue 09-Oct-18 12:04:15

I wear long tunics or above the knee dresses with leggings or dark opaque tights. I like them.

Elegran Tue 09-Oct-18 12:46:52

If he mentions Wax Wall again, remind him that the principal boy in most pantomimes is actually a young woman in what is the equivalent of leggings. He would probably delight to sit and watch her stride around the stage. You will look like a glamorous Prince Charming or Dandini - not like a superanuuated comedian.

Or just tell him that is what you mean to wear, and if he doesn't like it, he can look the other way.

winterwhite Tue 09-Oct-18 12:55:15

Further to KatyK's post just now - I like the idea of dark opaque tights rather than leggings. Are there circa when they don't work?

Iam64 Tue 09-Oct-18 13:25:20

Dress for yourself, not for anyone else. Husbands and partners who try to control what their wife wears need to,find a better hobby.

sodapop Tue 09-Oct-18 13:56:09

Can you not meet somewhere in the middle. I agree you should dress for yourself but your husband likes a certain look and is interested in what you wear. Maybe you could reciprocate by suggesting a new look for him.

TerriBull Tue 09-Oct-18 13:58:27

Dress for yourself and for your comfort. I wear leggings a lot, in fact I have them on now. My husband at one time came up with the "Max Wall" remark when leggings were a new concept, but I think he has accepted them now they are so universal. I hasten to add I wear them with longish shirts that cover my backside and they go well with ankle boots which I'm back into now the weather is getting colder. Anyway he tells me most days I look nice so I presume he means it, although I think he'd like to see me in a skirt or a dress a bit more often but I think I buy far fewer of that sort of clothing since I gave up work.

BBbevan Tue 09-Oct-18 14:47:50

Wear what you want, what you are comfortable in, and what you think suits youFramilode I wear a lot of leggings and tunics but also skinny jeans and jumpers. If I wore what DH wanted ,it would be long flowing hair ( grey) , mini skirts and boots. Just like when we were at art school back in the 60s Lovely he has this idea of me I suppose ?

M0nica Tue 09-Oct-18 15:01:02

If you have good legs flaunt them, if you haven't - so what, still flaunt them. I think you should dress for yourself, but bear in mind the opinions of other people whose opinion you consider or value.

DH has a phobia about buttons. It doesn't stop me wearing clothes with buttons on occasion, but I do avoid anything with large flamboyant buttons. I have just knitted a short jacket and replaced the large button that does it up at the top with ties.

KatyK Wed 10-Oct-18 09:40:01

Winterwhite I think opaque tights work with most things. You can't get different denier. I like 40 denier but you can get thicker ones. I try to get matte ones rather than shiny but you can't always tell from the packet. They are cheap, I get mine from Primark or Asda. They are about £3 for three pairs.

MiniMoon Wed 10-Oct-18 09:49:26

I'm fortunate that my DH doesn't mind what I wear. He likes to see me looking smart, but that includes smart casual clothes too. In fact, he has been known to buy me tunic tops and sweaters that he knows will suit me. I am very lucky.

goldengirl Wed 10-Oct-18 12:29:29

I have often asked my DHs opinion on clothes - and then, he says, I take the opposite action! For me this helps clear my thinking. I never ever dress 'for my husband'! I'm my own person. If you want to wear legging, wear them. They're very comfortable and easier to wear than tights. It just depends on the situation eg I wouldn't wear leggings if I were meeting the Queen grin.

Mapleleaf Thu 11-Oct-18 16:16:17

I’m intrigued, MOnica. A phobia about buttons? That must make life quite difficult for your DH? ( So much clothing has buttons - shirts, trousers, coats etc)

BBbevan Thu 11-Oct-18 18:49:46

I can understand a phobia about buttons. My mum had one about safety pins. She was a nurse during the war. and handling a safety pin made her sick .

PECS Thu 11-Oct-18 19:31:00

Now Max Wall was a great and odd dressing comedian but really no comparison re modern leggings!

M0nica Thu 11-Oct-18 20:50:24

Mapleleaf. The answer is he copes. When he wears a shirt he will button it up but minimise unbuttoning by pulling it over his head. He lives in T shirts and sweat shirts. He wears fleeces or other overcoats with zips when he needs extra warmth outside. Very few trousers have buttons, they have variations on hooks and eyes as waist fasteners. As I said, if there is no alternative he copes, and I have clothes with buttons on. I just avoid very big or obvious ones.