Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Eye brow puzzle

(40 Posts)
H1954 Tue 08-Jan-19 18:42:18

Anyone got any ideas why eye brows just disappear, one of mine has almost completely gone!

aggie Tue 08-Jan-19 18:49:18

Mine are flourishing ! look like old mans eyebrows , why ?

MissAdventure Tue 08-Jan-19 18:59:27

I've never really had any eyebrows.
My sister once pencilled some on for me, then everyone laughed because I looked like a 'surprised egg', apparently.

oldbatty Tue 08-Jan-19 19:02:07

Better than looking scrambled.

M0nica Wed 09-Jan-19 17:29:55

Because they slide down your face to your chin!!

They disappear for the same reasons that sees hair on the head thinning and hair on the body. I now shave my legs much less frequently than used to - and why hair starts appearing on the face.

My eyebrows are thinning from the outer edge inwards. I have them shaped and tinted regularly and where there is nothing to tint, I use an eyebrow pencil.

PECS Wed 09-Jan-19 17:36:09

grin M0nica. Mine reduced dramatically when I was prescribed a steroid inhaler for severe rhinitis when I was much younger. I have just used eyebrow pencils to fill in the gaps but I have a full fringe so keep it longer to hide the brows!

ninathenana Wed 09-Jan-19 17:51:57

Eyebrows confusedconfused

Oh, you mean the half dozen or so hairs I have above each eye.
I never leave home without applying mascara and using a quality eyebrow pencil.
I no longer need to shave my legs, armpits or anywhere else ! wink

phoenix Wed 09-Jan-19 18:14:51

Sorry to say that mine are still very present! Unfortunately, I can't see well enough without my glasses to pluck them myself, hence having to go in to the salon today to have them waxed.

Along with my upper lip........and my chin........and those awkward little devils that have sprouted in the area between my chin and my neck........blush

Had my hair cut too, and just a cut! So glad that I decided to stop the colouring and embrace the grey!

Farmor15 Wed 09-Jan-19 18:38:14

Loss of eyebrows can be linked to thyroid problems- hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone) but lots of other reasons I’m sure.

Bridgeit Wed 09-Jan-19 18:38:48

Rather have disappearing ones than those awful pencilled on thick brown versions that are drawn on from the middle of the nose almost to the ears.

Izabella Wed 09-Jan-19 19:15:39

I am trying to find a pencil with some sort of conditioning wax in it. Is there such a thing?

Fennel Wed 09-Jan-19 19:21:15

Mine are like yours, Phoenix.
Very bushy, a mix of white and the auburn that myhead hair used to be.
(And those others down below)

Charleygirl5 Wed 09-Jan-19 20:17:55

I have two hedges growing which are tamed regularly by threading.

For years I have shaved my legs a few times a year but since my last knee replacement, the hair is growing on my legs also. I am lucky to have a very thick head of hair.

lemongrove Wed 09-Jan-19 20:38:21

I lost both eyebrows due to thyroid problems.
Have found that Avon glimmerstick for brows is wonderful
I use light brown, but there are other colours.

PECS Wed 09-Jan-19 20:52:01

I use that one too lemongrove

Izabella Wed 09-Jan-19 20:53:29

Avon. Thanks for the tip

lemongrove Wed 09-Jan-19 20:59:08

It’s really good, and I tried all sorts before discovering the Avon one.
The light brown is that colour if put on ( in small strokes) and done lightly, but becomes slightly darker the firmer you apply and how much you apply, but is very easy to do.
As I am blonde, it suits me.
It’s not all bad, losing your brows, as they can never go grey and need tinting! grin or need shaping and plucking.

janeainsworth Wed 09-Jan-19 21:03:02

izabella I got one of these from Charlotte Tilbury
It seemed to work well but didn’t last long.
The magic ingredient is castor oil so I got a big bottle of that from Holland & Barrett & dip the little brush in that instead, together with a little pot of eyebrow colour from Laura Mercier.
My eyebrows do seem thicker as a result. I have underactive thyroid too & I think My eyebrows got thinner before it was diagnosed & treated.

SueDonim Wed 09-Jan-19 22:19:37

I don't think mine are thinning but some of the hairs now get very loooooooong indeed. I have them shaped by waxing now and then and yank out the ones I spot that have forgotten to fall out in a timely manner.

Have you all seen the eyebrow rant man? It's very funny!

m.youtube.com/watch?v=LyPykVlgzEk

seacliff Wed 09-Jan-19 22:23:04

Mine are brown and white mixed, and a bit straggly. I colour them by using a mens beard colour!! I hardly need any, it only takes 2 minutes, and they are all brown again.

Lilypops Wed 09-Jan-19 23:12:57

What is it with the very thick , black brows girls are wearing now,
The Scouse Brow is not a good look on anyone,
I use NYX brunette pencil, it comes with a brush at one end and a propelling pencil the other , it looks very natural and it's less than £4

M0nica Thu 10-Jan-19 08:58:35

Just a fashion, a bit like the little black patches men and women stuck on their faces in the 18th century. What possessed people then to think the acne look was a good look? confused

Teetime Thu 10-Jan-19 09:19:24

Izabella Clarins have an eybrow kit which includes wax and you draw your brush across the wax and the colour so you apply them together. Benefit have a similar one.

Coconut Thu 10-Jan-19 10:08:40

Boots Seventeen .... Brows that !

Funnygran Thu 10-Jan-19 10:36:28

I use a dye as my eyebrows are very thin and now almost invisible. Then fill in with a pencil where there isn't any hair. DD tells me to go and have a permanent dye and fill in on my eyebrows but I'm frightened of it looking too OTT. My hairdresser tells me thinning brows are the result of plucking but I haven't done that for over 20 years. All down to age sadly.