Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Hair

(49 Posts)
Colverson Thu 14-Mar-19 11:19:19

I need a new style as I am losing hair on crown and sides and also a hairdresser that understand so sorry NOT a young girl who thinks its a joke in the coffee room
I was using Minoxidil for acouple of years which really helped But i now have arrhythmia on and off so no more Minoxidil
Any advice for this 62 yrs woman feeling rather low

Teetime Thu 14-Mar-19 11:24:11

I would go to a traditional salon (not a trendy one) and ask for the senior stylist. Good Luck flowers

Anja Thu 14-Mar-19 11:31:28

Yes, shop around, ask around. If you see an older woman with a good hair style don’t be afraid to stop and ask we where is has her hair done.

Sorry about your hair loss and low mood flowers

Vonners Thu 14-Mar-19 19:53:39

I agree, try and find an older hairdresser who is more realistic about hair care and not just interested in the latest trends.
I think a female too, more in touch with what we want.
I've no experience of alopecia but a friend had some hair extensions to thicken her hair. I always thought extensions were for lengthening hair however there was no difference to her length just the thickness, very natural looking. I've no idea how long they last - assume they grow out.

Lisa63 Fri 17-May-19 20:52:21

Heyyy theres always a solution... i started losing my hair ( still do) through thyroid issues as a vain vixen i took control and got a "topper" real hair partial wig that no one realises isnt my own hair?

itsonlyme Sat 18-May-19 05:52:45

This is my first post and I'm not sure if I'm using the correct thread.
My problem is that I have, and always have had, very fine hair. (It has been the bane of my life!)
At present it is coloured mid/dark brown. Now that I'm 64, I feel that I SHOULD transition and turn slowly grey. However my hairdresser (who has really helped with my problem hair over the years) has pointed out that if he dyes my hair grey, then it will look non existent. Consequently he is very against a change to grey and says that I'm better with the colour I have, rather than looking as though I have none.
Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks.

Willow500 Sat 18-May-19 06:49:34

There are some hair thickening products available which might help but probably the best solution is to go shorter and a lighter colour so the loss is less noticeable. I would also find a more professional hairdresser who can give you better and more respectful advise!

itsonlyme I had this discussion with my hairdresser only a couple of weeks ago - I've been going to her for over 20 years so she knows my very fine hair well and has coloured it various shades of dark brown, red and white blond over that time. As it's now quite grey at the roots we went with a golden blonde colour some time ago which is less noticeable as the roots come through. I fancied going the steel grey colour which is in fashion now but she advised against it as the back is still quite dark and she felt it would make me look washed out. Plus she likes the different golden tones (which only she can see at the back) - I bowed to her advice. Maybe start going a shade or two lighter gradually but if you've had your hairdresser for so long stick with what he says.

Resurgam123 Sat 18-May-19 07:05:15

Well my usual hairdresser is on sick leave . My hair will never be right until Abbie comes back.

I have now realised my hairdresser has been doing my hair for years.

I think Abbies second son is now is secondary school or just finished. Time flies.

PamelaJ1 Sat 18-May-19 07:15:57

A very old lady that I used to know- she died a the age of 104- and , like Lisa had a small hair piece for years. You really couldn’t tell.

Sara65 Sat 18-May-19 07:17:28

When my hairdresser went on maternity leave, I thought I’d use the little hairdressers in the village till she was back

Ten years on I’m still there, half the price, the lady who owns it is very experienced and good with colours, and you get familiar with all the other clients, and we all have a chat and a laugh

Esspee Sat 18-May-19 07:45:18

I asked a lady about her lovely hair just last week. She looked wonderful and I hoped she would tell me her hairdresser's name.
I was stunned when she told me she had just finished chemo and it was a wig. She looked amazing and I told her so.
I will certainly be looking at wigs if my hair deteriorates.

cornergran Sat 18-May-19 08:10:02

I’m not sure it’s the age of the stylist, rather their professionalism and skill that matters. I have similar issues colverson and also feel quite wretched about my hair at times. In our previous area I had a young but understanding and skilled stylist who listened and really helped. When we moved I travelled back to her every six weeks for almost a year. Then I took a deep breath and went into the closest, small, salon. I explained my worries to the receptionist and was given a chance to chat to a stylist. I still go to her, she’s older and we get along well. My hair is my hair, there’s no miracle but she listens and helps me make the best of it. Be brave, if you notice a woman with a good cut ask where she goes, ask to talk to stylists, see who you feel comfortable with. I’m not quite considering a small hair piece but it’s in the back of my mind as a sort of safety net. Hope you are more at ease with yourself soon.

lemongrove Sat 18-May-19 08:47:11

Lots of good advice already given.
Having highlights put in rather than a solid colour not only helps disguise any root growth but makes hair appear thicker.Better to go lighter when older, rather than keeping a darker colour going.
Toppers, extensions and wigs are also worth exploring, even if not for everyday wear.

itsonlyme Sat 18-May-19 11:39:51

Thank you everyone! Might have to pluck up the courage to find another hairdresser.
It does help though, to know that there are other people "out there" who understand and can sympathise. ?

KatyK Sat 18-May-19 12:37:45

Oh yes people definitely understand! I am always being complimented on my beautiful, thick, shiny blonde hair. Sometimes I tell people and sometimes I don't, that it's a hair system and I have alopecia totalis, ie no hair.

Moocow Sat 18-May-19 16:25:36

Oh katyK wish you could share with us! I keep working hard at counting my blessings and avoiding the mirrors. I am always grateful when someone starts a discussion on this issue again. Hopeful that someone will have found a real solution to share. although I rarely spot anyone else with thinning hair when out and about such discussions are a reminder that I'm not the only one itsonlyme .

Moocow Sat 18-May-19 16:34:32

(KatyK hope I have not caused you any annoyance or upset you at all because I am not actually affected to the extent that you are by hair loss - if I have please accept my apologies)

Telly Sat 18-May-19 16:56:01

I have highlights that blend in with my own, now mostly grey, hair. think it works well, not sure how much longer I will carry on with it but have been doing this for quite a number of years.

KatyK Sat 18-May-19 16:57:33

Not at all Moocow It's hard having to avoid mirrors, cameras etc. When hair loss is mentioned on these forums, I think I have a tendency to take over so I'll try not to on this one. I did the best I could and it's expensive and I could cry over it every day but at least I can go out now. I'm not brave enough to be bald. I hope those of you struggling with this find a solution.

Labaik Sat 18-May-19 16:58:55

Thick hairbands are very fashionable at the moment. Sunglasses worn on the head in the summer detract from the hair itself. I've got a couple of wigs which I've never worn; find them very itchy and uncomfortable and I feel very conscious of the fact I'm wearing a wig. However, I bought a very cheap wig the other week to wear to a fancy dress party [1920's bob wig]; didn't feel daft cause everyone was in costume anyway. It was surprisingly comfortable and, being cheap, wasn't as thick and uncomfortable as my expensive ones, so I might buy a few more ! I must admit that, going to a party and having nice 'hair' for a change made me feel wonderful !

KatyK Sat 18-May-19 17:06:50

By the way Moocow don't be too sure that you don't see many women with thinning hair when you are out and about. There are quite a few I think but they have extensions, hair pieces, wigs etc. I know from the hair place I go to that it's becoming more common in women.

KatyK Sat 18-May-19 17:07:48

Hair loss is becoming more common I mean.

AriadneOliver Sat 18-May-19 17:08:27

Hello everyone, I’m new here so hope I’m doing this right! I too used to have very thin “see through” hair and had it coloured until I decided to embrace the grey a few years ago. Since stopping the colouring, my hair has become much thicker and I am convinced it was the strong chemicals in the dye that was causing the thinning, (probably damaging the hair follicles?)

Deedaa Sat 18-May-19 17:40:43

Hello Ariadne do you have the same exotic hairstyles as the original Ariadne Oliver? grin Back in the 60s my mother used to have her hair coloured at a salon in London and she said a beautiful blonde girl came in with all her hair breaking off at the roots because constant bleaching had damaged it. I doubt if any of the dyes and bleaches do our hair much good.

AriadneOliver Sat 18-May-19 18:20:39

I wish Deedah!