Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Spring dresses -any recommendations?

(58 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 27-Mar-19 10:26:17

We're looking to update this page on spring dresses with the new season's styles ?. Any recommendations for specific dresses from those of you who've already started shopping? And are there any retailers you think should be included? smile

Craicon Thu 28-Mar-19 13:46:13

Just looked at the dresses on the linked page and thought ‘yuck’. They all look so boring and mumsy.
The only one I liked was being worn by the model at the top of the page but no details for that one.
Good job I make my own, I guess.
I’m short and not skinny but I wouldn’t be seen dead in 50 shades of beige linen.
What happened to shape, pattern and colour?

Abuelamia Thu 28-Mar-19 14:05:17

Roman Originals, nice dresses at a sensible price

Wiltshiregrams Thu 28-Mar-19 14:14:59

M&S had some really pretty dresses when I last went in. Not dowdy at all

lizzypopbottle Thu 28-Mar-19 14:17:12

I bought this a couple of weeks ago. It was a bit pricey at £95 but it looks really good over black leggings. You can push the sleeves up or wear them down. I really like a dress or top with a collar.

lizzypopbottle Thu 28-Mar-19 14:18:54

The orange dress above isn't from M&S, it's just on one of their hangers!

lizzypopbottle Thu 28-Mar-19 14:23:56

I bought the orange dress from our local department store, Rutherfords of Morpeth. It's by Sandwich.

CarlyD7 Thu 28-Mar-19 14:45:34

Used to love M&S but I have NO idea what went wrong!! Hardly ever find anything I want these days. Debenhams is good (covers lots of different labels). Buy from Monsoon, Hobbs etc only during sales. used to love East but they're gone now (sadly). Sea Salt (but mainly for blouses). Last dress I bought was from Monsoon - lovely quality.

Bamm Thu 28-Mar-19 16:11:09

I like Boden and Hobbs. Good range, quick delivery and sales on at the moment.

gillybob Thu 28-Mar-19 16:28:24

I really like that dress lizzypopbottle . I have one in a very similar style and fabric which is navy with lighter blue flowers. I love it and have worn it on its own and with leggings too. I'm not sure of the make as I'm at work so can't check, but I bought it in a garden centre in/near Kelso a few years ago.

Bamm Thu 28-Mar-19 16:46:11

I found an M and S summer dress that I liked last week. Sleeveless, semi fitted with small side splits finishing just above the knee. The material is linen and viscose and its available in lots of colours; I got black. £25.

GrammaH Thu 28-Mar-19 16:51:09

Well done with Pretty Kitty LondonMzFitz, so glad you liked it! My friend has just ordered a whopping 9 dresses from them, though swears she'll send at least 5 back! I must admit I'm torn, I've got a summer wedding coming up and want one of their lovely flowery dresses with a big hat - very 1950s. Spoilt for choice as there are so many pretty ones. There's also a Bombshell one with big red roses but it's 6 times Pretty Kitty's prices! Mmm, whats a girl to do?!

Sheilasue Thu 28-Mar-19 16:51:37

I don’t wear dresses, I have some thread veins on my legs by my calf, dresses never cover that area, I am not to sure about maxi dresses always think they need a sandel with a high wedge, cannot wear high heels or high wedges anymore.
So I wear summer chinos, flair trousers, with a nice top or t shirt.

Brunette10 Thu 28-Mar-19 17:06:15

I would love to be able to see a dress and buy it to wear instantly. Unfortunately I am Petite size 8/10 and TBH have very few dresses as I can never find any to buy off the rack and wear without some alterations. I see women wearing lovely dresses and always admire them but goodness knows where they get them. Can anyone advise on retailers apart from the usual Next , M and S that do petite, fashionable for a 65 year old. Keeping fingers crossed. smile

anna7 Thu 28-Mar-19 17:31:05

Have you tried Boden Brunette10? I have the opposite problem to you because I need a longer length but I know Boden do a petite length as well as tall and I find the quality very good. They are expensive but I never buy unless I can find a code for at least 20% off.

Marydoll Thu 28-Mar-19 17:33:23

GrammaH, thank you so much. I love all the vintage dresses and the shoes are fabulous! smile

Bamm Thu 28-Mar-19 17:33:38

Boden have petite dresses and they are very reliable with delivery and returns.

Elisabeth68 Thu 28-Mar-19 17:37:18

Zara, Cos, And Other Stories and ASOS
More expensive Ghost of London, Rixo, J Crew

GrammaH Thu 28-Mar-19 18:40:23

My pleasure Marydoll!

Shizam Thu 28-Mar-19 20:48:46

I bought a summer dress from Hush last year and a couple of tops. In the sale. Was via mumsnet! I’m rubbish at shopping. But they have all proved to be invaluable.

trendygran Thu 28-Mar-19 21:29:10

Mary’s. Totally agree with you about M and S dresses I also,looked a couple of days ago and just saw a lot of shapeless or almost overall looking dresses.
Roman Originals are my favourite for dresses . I rarely wear a dress but they do have some very nice ones.

trendygran Thu 28-Mar-19 21:35:32

That should read Margs! Altered itself to Mary’s .

Benje Fri 29-Mar-19 07:03:10

Phase eight Hobbs and LK Bennett
Beautiful dresses work play and special occasions

Brunette10 Fri 29-Mar-19 07:34:17

Thanks to all. I shall take a good look at all these suggestions and hopefully see some dresses I want to buy. Thanks again gransnetters smile

goldengirl Fri 29-Mar-19 10:40:26

I like Boden though they've got a bit pricier but they are reliable and provide very good service. I've tried a few clothes from the ranges on QVC and have been very pleasantly surprised by style, fabric, sizes - and price! Seasalt is also another go to brand. I've just got a voucher for Monsoon so I'll be looking in there though the last time I visited the trousers I loved were far too long and the V neck blouse was almost open to my navel!!!

glammagran Fri 29-Mar-19 17:38:42

I got the pale blue one Bamm