Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Who likes a man with facial hair?

(119 Posts)
shysal Mon 08-Apr-19 13:04:36

I just don't like the current trend for beards or designer stubble on men of all ages. Unless very neatly clipped I find them ageing, scruffy and unclean-looking - even on George Clooney! What are your views?

Nanabilly Mon 08-Apr-19 13:07:23

I love a good beard ..As long as it is kept nicely groomed and oiled. What I cannot stand is a beard or moustache that looks frizzy and dry and untidy. Dick Shoestring ( escape to the chateau) has the most horrid moustache I've ever seen

gillybob Mon 08-Apr-19 13:08:25

I like George Clooney's neatly trimmed beard but hate these horrible "look at me, I am a real man as I can grow lots of facial hair..." kind of beards that seem to be the fashion right now. Gross.

gillybob Mon 08-Apr-19 13:09:20

Its Strawbridge Nanabilly grin and I share your dislike of his facial hair.

Teetime Mon 08-Apr-19 13:09:49

Well I have no idea what my husband looks like as he had a beard when I met him over 40 years ago and he still has one - beautifully trimmed and cred for but of course not the lustrous black affair it used to be. He's hairy everywhere and I love it. Here he is in his heyday. I love nice beards, a full set as the navy say.

crazyH Mon 08-Apr-19 13:10:55

Fully agree Shysal.....hate facial hair, man or woman ?. My older son sometimes has a 'shadow'....his wife obviously likes it, but I don't ..but does he care? Hell, no !!!!

shysal Mon 08-Apr-19 13:10:57

Couldn't agree more about Dick Strawbridge, Nanability. Imagine kissing that! Yuk!

Teetime Mon 08-Apr-19 13:11:32

photo didn't come out first time

EllanVannin Mon 08-Apr-19 13:12:09

Eww, no. You never know what's hiding in them. Like last nights supper, or if they sneeze, or even biddies, eeeek.

shysal Mon 08-Apr-19 13:12:09

Sorry about the typo Nanabilly. smile

EllanVannin Mon 08-Apr-19 13:13:21

I don't like hairy men in general, they remind me of gorillas.

Esspee Mon 08-Apr-19 13:16:19

I find facial hair a huge turnoff.
My other half often laments that designer stubble is said to be sexy but when he doesn't shave he is told he looks scruffy!

David1968 Mon 08-Apr-19 13:17:14

DH had a beard when I met him - and he looked gorgeous! Ten years into our marriage he shaved it off - on the day we went away on a holiday. (It was like going on holiday with a new man!) Has never grown the beard again - it would be grey now....But he's still gorgeous! I prefer the clean-shaven look now, for most men. While I do appreciate that many younger men men can "carry off" a beard, I find that it can be an ageing look for an older man. (This is just my opinion, of course - I appreciate that others may not agree.)

ninathenana Mon 08-Apr-19 13:28:18

DH had a neat beard at times many years ago. He's been clean shaven now for about 25 yrs. I don't like older men with beards especially if they have gone grey. See pics of George above.
DS has a neatly trimmed beard which suits him.

Rowantree Mon 08-Apr-19 13:34:04

My OH has a beard - was a scruffy one in his yoof, now neatly trimmed and short. I like it; it suits him. Not ageing at all. Personally not that keen on long, bushy beards though...

My main concern at the moment is how to prevent mine from sprouting [h'mm]

tiredoldwoman Mon 08-Apr-19 14:06:21

Cor, I fancy yours, Teetime !
I like beards too , clean and sweet smelling .

Caledonai14 Mon 08-Apr-19 14:07:43

My DH could never get past the stubbley stage because of the itch. However, he persevered this winter and honestly he looks great! The beard has come in a different colour from his hair and with far less grey in it. He's really looking after it as well and shaving round the edge to keep it trim. It has saved so much time and trouble (he used to bleed a bit when he shaved) and he finds it much warmer when he's outside working on frosty mornings.

He's lucky, though, he also has a full head of hair. One look I find strange is a completely bald head and a luxurious beard.

KatyK Mon 08-Apr-19 15:24:46

My DH had a moustache in the '70s when it was fashionable. It suited him. I'm not sure it would now.

janeainsworth Mon 08-Apr-19 15:27:56

It’s a no from me!

Charleygirl5 Mon 08-Apr-19 15:31:11

It is also a no for me but I love the dog Teetime.

lemongrove Mon 08-Apr-19 17:32:40

A clean shaven Roman or a hairy Gaul? grin
I like a clean shaven man but each to their own.
On much the same subject hate long hair on a man too.

M0nica Mon 08-Apr-19 18:06:52

Wouldn't have a man without a beard, both DH and DS have one. They are an engineer and an archaeologist respectively and the beards come with the job.

Eglantine21 Mon 08-Apr-19 18:09:22

Don’t you find the hairs go up your own nose when you’re kissing a man with a moustache?

tanith Mon 08-Apr-19 18:19:54

Don’t like hairy men at all beards very offputting. Having said that 3 of my GS’s have full beards and I’m always telling them how it ages them but their wives and girlfriends don’t seem to mind.

Pittcity Mon 08-Apr-19 18:22:35

I love a beard and have recently persuaded DH to keep the one he grew after a week away fishing.
He keeps his now white hair and beard trimmed short.