Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Hair ruined

(69 Posts)
Cosmos Tue 09-Apr-19 19:44:11

Today I went to a hairdresser, bit more expensive that I usually pay. I wanted just the ends taken of by an inch, the rest left. She did she was just going to lightly cut in to the other hair as it was so thick, I once again said, no its fine as it is, definitely didn't want layers, she said there will be no layers it won't be noticeable just get a sleeker style. Anyway the finished style is choppy and definitely layered she took a good 2 inches off, why do that? I hate this hairstyle it will take 12 months to get it back as it was. I am do upset and said she had fine the opposite of what I wanted. They offered me free cut and blow dry to make up for it. I do not want to go back there. Feel do furious with salon. What do I do in the meantime, it's so short now at the back and it looks and feels horrible.

M0nica Tue 09-Apr-19 19:46:12

Talk to Trading Standards or CAB. They can advise.

Cosmos Tue 09-Apr-19 19:48:54

I don't want compensation, just don't know how to go around looking such a mess. If is was winter I would wear a hat outside.

Tangerine Tue 09-Apr-19 20:32:22

I agree with you that there is no compensation to make up for being so dissatisfied with a haircut. The hairdresser has completely ignored your requests.

Did you pay for the haircut or did you refuse to pay?

DINNNO Tue 09-Apr-19 20:38:06

I hope you didn't pay for it

Abbeygran Wed 10-Apr-19 10:00:24

First thing to remember is, it will grow back.

Find a very light floaty scarf and play about with it to cover the back of your neck. A good scarf can cover a multitude of sins.

Next, try and put this in perspective- no one has died & no one is going to. Yes, it’s upsetting but there are worse things out there happening every day.

Finally, don’t use that salon again.

GrandmaPam Wed 10-Apr-19 10:00:44

Oh I feel for you Cosmos! Reminds me of the time I had a perm when I was pregnant; I didn't know at the time that hormones can have an effect on the way perms take (sounds daft I know!) but it was truly horrendous, and I had to live with it for the best part of 6 months. Another time, in more recent years, a new hairdresser insisted in giving me 'a little colour' - I was silver, as I have been since my early thirties, and love it. I really felt bad about it and it took weeks to wear off!
It is awful when you have a new style though, and takes an age to get used to managing it, but you will - even if it isn't what you wanted. I would be inclined to put something on the hairdresser's social media? They shouldn't get away with not listening

vintanner Wed 10-Apr-19 10:19:21

I doubt it is as bad as you feel it is but if you really want to cover up there are some really nice and inexpensive wigs on Amazon, they will be delivered quickly (prime if you have it) and if you're not happy with it they take returns.

I would complain, in writing, to the manager of the hairdressers and ask for a full refund at the very least. Ask them if they really think you will be returning for anything, even it is free!

H1954 Wed 10-Apr-19 10:23:10

I understand just how you feel Cosmos, it's really annoying when they don't listen and carry on regardless of the customers requests and create a style they would like to do instead!

I don't see that Trading Standards would be any use in this case, it's not as though the hairdresser has used a product that's damaged your hair or scalp is it?

Instead, I would be inclined to locate the salon website, they have one, and leave a very negative review. A free cut and blow dry does nothing to help you immediately and I would have told them to "stuff it" where the sun doesn't shine!

How about wearing a suitably styled wig for a few weeks, at least until you have some of your own natural hair growth back?

Please don't let this experience upset you though, life's too short to dwell on the trivial things, your hair will grow back!

Telly Wed 10-Apr-19 10:26:08

I do understand how you feel, but it will grow back and in a week or so you will have got used to your new look. I do know that looking unhappy won't help, so there's no point in beating yourself up any more. Xx

gillybob Wed 10-Apr-19 10:33:27

Basically what Telly has said. It will grow back.

If it is so hideous you can't bear to be seen, why not go to another reputable hairdressers and ask them what they could do with it to improve it. Obviously they can't grow it for you, but could possibly do something to make it more acceptable. Who knows given a few days to get used to it you might start to like "the new you" smile

jaylucy Wed 10-Apr-19 10:34:03

As a previous poster put, it will grow again but obviously not quickly enough !
I had something similar happen to me - hairdresser happily snipped away, all the time telling me that it would look lovely and I would love it when finished! It was only when i was at home and washed and blow dried it myself the next day that I realised that all that snipping meant it looked as if I'd been attacked by someone with a hedge trimmer ! It was all different lengths, with longer bits hanging down from underneath.
I'm afraid that I was a bit of a coward and waited a couple of weeks then went back to my usual hairdresser!
I think by law they have to be given a chance to put it right, they should at the very least refund what you paid. Only thing is that it may take time for your hair to grow a bit for them to do it

Aepgirl Wed 10-Apr-19 10:35:45

I often wonder if hairdressers are a little deaf (or daft), or both. Whatever they are asked to do, they do their own thing. Don’t go for a wig - that could make your own hair even worse.

Riggie Wed 10-Apr-19 10:35:59

You could still wear a hat. Find something stunning.

Worthingpatchworker Wed 10-Apr-19 10:47:11

Go for the free cut and blow dry....with their top stylist. What they do not want is bad press. Do a bit of research and take pictures of what you want leaving no room for interpretation. It won’t be the style you originally wanted but it should be something appropriate for your hair, life and looks.....they want to make you happy.
With regard to hats.....bandanas, big fabric hair bands can look spectacular...and ......grab your Easter bonnet....
Maybe the powers that be are saying you do need a new style.
Good luck.....whatever happens your face is unchanged and your personality will still shine through.

icanhandthemback Wed 10-Apr-19 10:49:43

I appreciate your angst, it is highly irritating but at least you do have hair and I bet it looks great. I suspect you have that thing that it is just such a shock when you look in the mirror because it isn't as you were expecting. You will probably get used to it. I wish I had thick enough hair which needed to look "choppy".

Gmum Wed 10-Apr-19 10:56:57

Sorry that you had a bad experience not much consolation but there some nice wigs to buy online, or perhaps a hairband they are very fashionable right now. Must agree I steer away from hairdressers trying to find a good one that will listen and so expensive especially when all the extras are added on, my last experience was not good the hairdersser just would not stop talking about herself. I do my own hair dye it and cut the ends. there are lessons on line for this, and just let my hair grow its down to my waist a cheaper option. However there are some lovely hairdressers out there its just finding one you can trust.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 10-Apr-19 11:04:04

By offering compensation, and they will want to avoid any further dissatisfaction,why not allow the salon to get you through the in between period until your hair regrows to a length that is satisfactory to yourself, or wear a wig?
Forget Trading Standards, C A, Goods & Services Act ?.This is a long and frequently expensive way round an issue when the service provider has already offered compensation.

Ginny42 Wed 10-Apr-19 11:28:47

I once told a hairdresser to 'Stop cutting now!' as she tried to get both sides the same and failed, so she cut it some more, still not level, then went back to the first side again, which was when I told her to stop. The comment of a good friend who asked, 'Did you want it like that?' did make me laugh though!

It's upsetting when this sort of thing happens and of course there's the wait for it to grow back. If you really can't stand it why not buy a wig? Some are fantastic and people will just think it's your new style. flowers

EllanVannin Wed 10-Apr-19 11:42:38

The best style and streaked colours on my hair was in Australia in 1984. It was so professionally done and streaked in copper/gold/and blonde it was fabulous. The colours weren't too garish but you could see in certain lights and of course the sun that there were hints of colours.

Why can't that be done here ? Yes it was expensive but well worth it for looking and feeling good. A one-off experience.

Nothing worse when your hair's been badly done as there's not much you can do to undo it all.

Teetime Wed 10-Apr-19 11:50:11

cosmos I'm sure you feel awful and very cross so I'm not going to offer you any platitudes to try to make you feel better. Instead if you would like a good laugh involving a bad haircut have a look at the TV series Fleabag. In the meantime treat yourself to something moral boosting like some new make up or something to wear. I hope you are feeling batter about it soon. flowers

Anja Wed 10-Apr-19 11:51:40

Yes, take up their offer but insist on their Top Stylist.

inishowen Wed 10-Apr-19 12:26:14

I remember being talking into a demi wave when I was in my thirties. I was told it was thicken the appearance of my thin hair. Instead I got tight curls like an old lady. I was so upset I asked them to cut it really short, removing the curls. I hadn't the confidence at that age to refuse payment.

Eloethan Wed 10-Apr-19 12:27:53

cosmos I have great sympathy for you. I think probably we have all been there at one time or another. It is so depressing when you end up with a terrible haircut and can't cope with styling it. Years ago, when we lived in Sussex, I had an absolutely wonderful hairdresser but I've never been able to find anyone else as skilled, even when I've paid a lot of money.

The only thing I can suggest is to have it trimmed regularly to get rid of the uneveness. If it is really getting you down, perhaps you could consider getting a good wig (though I'm not sure I would wear one).

I don't think hairdressers receive the same lengthy training that they used to years ago.

Quizzer Wed 10-Apr-19 13:11:00

I have often had this problem. I know my hair! I know what I want, but often the hairdresser thinks they know better. Sadly I never have the nerve to complain - what can they do once it is cut? Currently still growing out a sheep-shearing cut from January.
All I know is that I will NOT go back to that stylist again.