Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Mineral foundation or liquid based for mature skin?

(26 Posts)
Genevieve489 Fri 12-Apr-19 10:12:39

I've been reading that mature women shouldn't use powder, as it settle into lines on the face and makes them more evident. However, mineral based foundation, such as Bare Minerals, advertise their product as being suitable for mature women. What do others think? Which type of foundation works better for you? Incidentally, I have rosacea which requires a certain degree of cover with any foundation.

Squiffy Fri 12-Apr-19 10:33:46

Genevieve I use mineral powder and concealer as they’re as near ‘natural’ as you can get. When first applied it looks very powdery, but after a few minutes it settles and looks as though you’re not wearing makeup at all, very natural. The concealers work well, too. I use Benecos and My Beautiful Earth (eBay).

NanaandGrampy Fri 12-Apr-19 10:50:47

I love mineral make up and have used Sheer Cover for years. It’s very light, stays on , smear free and doesn’t settle in fine lines.

Even if I wear nothing else but some lipstick , I always look ‘finished ‘ lol

Missfoodlove Fri 12-Apr-19 11:44:58

I am a huge Bare Minerals fan.
Their powder foundation is not really a powder, it is flattering and conceals well.
Make an appointment with your nearest BM beauty counter.
Once you know your products and colours QVC have great offers.

Genevieve489 Fri 12-Apr-19 12:46:10

Thank you all for your replies. I'm definitely going to try out Bare Minerals and thanks for your tip about QVC, Missfoodlove

Ffion63 Sat 13-Apr-19 09:19:40

Estée Lauder, Double Wear. Expensive but worth it. The store will give you a very generous sample to try before you buy. I use it with a dash of bronzer on top and am quite happy with the result. It stays put all day and doesn't 'slide'.

Emelle Sat 13-Apr-19 09:21:09

I have just started to use mineral powder after using only BB cream for some time and I do think it is very flattering, I bought one from the Inika range as it is has 100% natural ingredients and has sun protection (SPF 25).

moom Sat 13-Apr-19 09:34:51

Hello! The best make up advice ever ( and the simplest) is from Tricia Cusden, Founder of 'Looking Fabulous Forever. Hers is an online company for women struggling with makeup advice who tend to be at least 60+. She has her own facial skin problems ( similar to yours I think) and her site has the most wonderful "How To" videos and her makeup and skincare is all manufactured for her. I chucked out all my grotty old stuff about 2 years ago and now have a modest amount of makeup, perfectly suited to my skin tone; I know how to use it and I have a modest amount of actual skincare products - and I will never have to visit a makeup counter again!! Bliss... Do give her site a try and good luck.

Jessity Sat 13-Apr-19 10:06:31

I tried Bare Minerals a few years ago, consultation and bought the recommended products including the brush. Never got on with it, felt it didn’t look or feel right.

I’ve mentioned on other threads my experience of Look Fabulous Forever products, that the cases chipped, bits broke off, hinges broke. The videos are good but I was disappointed with the quality, a broken eye shadow case, a chipped lipstick case etc are no use.

I’ve gone back to my old favourite Estee Lauder’s tinted moisturiser Day Wear Sheer Tint, or Double Wear for more coverage on an evening out.

Marydoll Sat 13-Apr-19 10:09:31

Another Bare Minerals fan here. I only buy from QVC when it's on special. Companies like Feel Unique often have offers on. I never pay the full price.
My daughter and I had our colour matched at Duty Free at the airport and they were spot on. We both have very sensitive skin, but it works for us.

There are lots of Bare Mineral tutorials on You Tube.

GeorgieKay Sat 13-Apr-19 10:26:17

Another vote for Estee Lauder here. It's not cheap but it lasts for ages.

Wiltshiregrams Sat 13-Apr-19 10:29:51

Esther Lauder here too. Feels fabulous and doesn’t set in the creases. Only need a few drops on a foundation brush or sponge.

Caro57 Sat 13-Apr-19 11:21:27

I am a huge Look Fabulous Forever fan. Their products are great and if I have ever had a problem (usually me selecting the wrong product) it’s been refunded without question. Their videos and tips are good too

GrAnne2 Sat 13-Apr-19 11:27:58

I’m going to suggest you have a look on the Trinny London website and its Match2Me service. Customer service will send you a few generous (free) samples of the ‘just a touch’ foundation or, if you live near London or Newcastle you can visit a Fenwicks and have a make over. If you have good skin that doesn’t require much coverage, their treatment ‘BB’ cream (called BFF, which blends into your skin tone & has spf25) might be enough. Personally, I’ve found I use less make up since I’ve discovered this range and NO powder - they have a ‘face finish’ product that is a brush on cream/gel and ‘miracle blur’ to help conceal lines. I guess the products won’t suit everyone but they’ve been transformative for me.

longpinknails Sat 13-Apr-19 11:38:02

If you have dry skin, I really recommend NARS sheer glow foundation. It’s actually not sheer, I would say medium coverage and I find it lasts well all day on me. I do use an SPF primer underneath ( Laura Mercier SPF30) which also helps. I use very little powder and if I do, I always use a talc free powder, as it is the talc that can be drying. I used to use bare minerals, but found it didn’t suit my dry skin once I hit late 40s unfortunately.

Genevieve489 Sat 13-Apr-19 11:39:50

Lots of good advice and tips, thank you. I'm certainly going to look at all the options you suggested.

KatyK Sat 13-Apr-19 12:07:43

I like Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid foundation. Typically, they've discontinued my colour. Grr. I've found it on eBay shops for £3.99 with free delivery. It's £7.99 in Boots. I try to do my bit to keep going to High Street shops but I really wanted my shade.

Matriarch Sat 13-Apr-19 12:16:20

I use Lancôme’s teint miracle . It’s hydrating and comes in many colours . I use Laura Geller’s Balance and Brighten over the top , which can also be used on its own as it’s a powder to cream foundation . I get that from Qvc. It’s colour adapting and again comes in a good range of colours . I wouldn’t be without primer to create a smooth base . Again , I use Laura Geller’s spackle . Concealer makes a huge difference as we get older too . I like IT cosmetics Bye , bye undereye .

4allweknow Sat 13-Apr-19 13:11:26

I have been using Boots own for a few years now. However I am desperately searching for make up with no SPF. I have been advised by consultant dermatologist to do this as SPF has been found to cause hair loss which I am now suffering from. Losing around front of hairline round ears.

NoddingGanGan Sat 13-Apr-19 16:53:47

Another vote for Estee Lauder double wear. I use the light version and it covers my rosacea, no problem top it with a light mineral powder.

Nvella Sat 13-Apr-19 18:05:56

I have started using a new Guerlain one called L’Essential which I really like

Sheshyshowshum Sat 13-Apr-19 19:01:51

I use Jane Iredale Purepressed Mineral Foundation powder (lots of shades to choose from and you can usually order samples) which I apply with their recommended brush and then a spray of their Pommist Hydration Spray to set it. I love it because I always seem to need to use a hanky throughout the day (nasal drip apparently, oh joy!) which would remove regular foundation. Whereas with this I can take out my retractable powder brush and just top up my nose area if it is a little red throughout the day. Best of all it doesn’t feel as if you are wearing anything greasy, which is how I feel about foundation. Good luck smile

rubysong Sat 13-Apr-19 22:25:33

I like Avon mineral powder foundation which is easy to put on and I can get a very pale colour as most foundations are too dark for me.
I always had difficulty putting liquid foundation on and blending it in.

dragonfly46 Sat 13-Apr-19 22:41:01

I too have a reddish face but use Clinique CC tinted moisturiser. It evens out skin tone without being heavy.

Anja Sat 13-Apr-19 22:53:20

If you are interested in animal welfare then Bare Minerals is a good choice.