Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Any Primark Fans?

(60 Posts)
KatyK Fri 12-Apr-19 16:18:13

I'm not a particular fan of Primark but for anyone who is, the world's biggest one has opened in Birmingham. It is huge and contains a beauty salon, a barber's shop and two cafes smile

Grannyben Fri 12-Apr-19 17:12:28

Oh I love having a roam around Primark. I've had some lovely bits for our little ones from there, they are doing some particularly nice Disney bits at the moment.
I do appreciate there's an awful lot of rubbish but if you have a good rummage you can always find something

ninathenana Fri 12-Apr-19 18:46:05

Sadly the don't cater for my size but family members buy from there.

Treebee Fri 12-Apr-19 19:50:53

In Milton Keynes we’re getting a new Primark next week. DGD is so excited, it’s her favourite shop.
I’ve had a mooch round our existing Primark a couple of times but never seen anything I fancy.

Urmstongran Fri 12-Apr-19 20:37:53

I’ve never been in a store. No interest.

Millie22 Fri 12-Apr-19 21:23:45

We have a small Primark in our nearest town and that's enough for me.

MiniMoon Fri 12-Apr-19 21:39:49

I've never bought anything for myself from Primark, but when the Newcastle store first opened I bought a sweater for my then teenage son. It was one of the best things I ever bought. It washed well and never lost it's colour.
Last year I bought my granddaughter a pinafore dress, she loved it and was disappointed when she outgrew it.

Lilypops Fri 12-Apr-19 21:43:38

We have a small Primark here,trouble is you see everyone wearing the same thing and we all know where it came from , not for me .

KatyK Fri 12-Apr-19 21:57:32

I don't buy much from there. I buy hairbrushes, make up remover pads and bits n bobs. My granddaughter loves it because she can get a lot of clothes for little money.

Bathsheba Fri 12-Apr-19 22:00:56

I can't bear the shop. I know there are some bargains to be had, but I just can't bear it! Our one is big, untidy, and noisy and I just feel as if I'm walking through a scruffy street market. Hate it!

fizzers Fri 12-Apr-19 22:10:40

I buy quite a few bits and pieces from there, I like the underwear sets, the nightclothes etc

Chewbacca Fri 12-Apr-19 22:11:40

Their household stuff is very good; towels, face flannel, bedding etc. Washes well and certainly as good quality as M&S. Basic clothing items such as t shirts, camisole vests and sweatshirts are good value for money and wash and wear well. I bought DS some items of clothing and they look very good and have even withstood DDIL's abysmal laundering! grin

Anja Fri 12-Apr-19 22:32:59

I couldn’t believe the local TV ran a piece on the Birmingham one opening and that people actually queued for several hours to be there when it opened the doors.

Has the world gone mad? ??

KatyK Fri 12-Apr-19 22:46:24

I think the thing is Anja here in Birmingham it's quite a big thing for some. It's been a long time in the building and they closed a whole shopping centre (The Pavilions) and all the shops in it and the whole of that is now this Primark, which is why it made the news I suppose.

Willow500 Sat 13-Apr-19 05:33:39

I was in Primark on Wed - we have a fairly big one in the nearest town and the one in Meadowhell is always heaving. I've bought odd bits over the years - especially tights and nightwear. Most of the fashion stuff is really for younger ones - my eldest GD likes some of it.

absent Sat 13-Apr-19 05:37:15

Does "style & beauty" outweigh sweatshops and slave labour?

Anja Sat 13-Apr-19 06:53:28

absent I read that they are cleaning up their act, but still ‘have a long way to go’.

NotAGran55 Sat 13-Apr-19 07:04:30

I can’t believe they can produce items so cheaply without using sweat shop labour , so won’t shop there just in case .

Chewbacca Sat 13-Apr-19 08:20:09

absent I have a relative who works in the retail fashion industry and he travels to India & Thailand to source clothing manufacturers. I've had several discussions with him about sweatshops, slave labour and the terrible conditions that, often young children, are expected to work in. He says that the industry has massively improved since 2013, following a factory fire in Bangladesh, where hundreds were killed. That terrible incident was the catalyst for change throughout the clothing manufacturing industry and conditions have improved. However, he also said that it would be a mistake to think that only the budget priced shops in Europe used such sweatshops. If we were to stop buying clothing from any retailer that used such sweatshops, there would be hardly any shops on the High Street or the www that we would buy anything from at all. He told me the names of many well known shops, who's prices are significantly higher than Primark but they use the same manufacturers, but their profit margins are wider, that's all.

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Apr-19 18:49:53

Oh yesssss.
I have shares in Primark.
If it's good enough for Peter Jones....grin

Fishpieplease Wed 24-Apr-19 20:11:06

I buy their luxury towels (not bog standard)....best I’ve ever bought,and good price too. Thoroughly recommend them.

Grannyrebel27 Wed 24-Apr-19 20:17:16

Used to love Primark but I don't think their clothes are as good as they used to be. Would love to visit the Birmingham Store though for a good rummage!

Pittcity Wed 24-Apr-19 22:09:41

Yes fishpie the towels are excellent for the price. I like the slippers and pyjamas too.

Gonegirl Wed 24-Apr-19 22:27:47

Their longline cardies are very good. But I usually take three or four steps inside the shop and walk straight out again. It's an exhausting store, even to look at.

Grandma2213 Thu 25-Apr-19 01:00:58

My DGD's favourite soft fleecy pyjamas were originally bought for her older cousin, whose younger sister then wore them. They were then passed on to DGD's older sister and then herself. I estimate at least 7 years of continuous use and washing and they still remain soft and bright. I have had T shirts from there which have lasted years and DS is still wearing tracksuits bought at least 6 years ago which are as good as new. I rarely go there as the nearest one is in the next town and I don't like going there (or shopping) but when I do I always pick up something that seems to last forever.