Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Question about underwire on bras

(28 Posts)
Horseinahat Fri 26-Apr-19 11:25:29

What do the underwires actually do?
Before I had seen an underwired bra I imagined the wire somehow supported the tissue in the cup but it just sits against your chest. What am I missing?
I almost always wear a sports bra with underwiring!

GabriellaG54 Fri 26-Apr-19 13:30:18

IMO, and I wear underworld bras and sports bras, it's the fact of them being a more rigid 'rim' around the cup of the bra, thus keeping your breasts more firmly within the material than might otherwise be the case.

GabriellaG54 Fri 26-Apr-19 13:31:32

grin
That should read 'underwired' not underworld. blush

Lisagran Fri 26-Apr-19 13:32:48

“underworld bras” GabriellaG54 ? Sounds a bit shady grin

Lisagran Fri 26-Apr-19 13:33:11

Sorry, crossed post!

BrandyButter Fri 26-Apr-19 15:08:01

Underworld Bras are very good quality and the knickers, ask Carla Conner smile smile I had a accident a few weeks ago with a wire poking out through the bottom of the cup and I fell against the car seat and it stabbed me in the chest. Not too badly hurt but made me wonder how easily it could have pierced my chest. No more cheap bras for me! I have worn wired for years but never seen one come out before. They are a lot slimmer and stronger than you imagine.

M0nica Sat 27-Apr-19 09:25:55

I have worn bras with underwire and bras without. Quite randomly, I often didn't notice the wiring util I got home with my purchase.

As far as I can see they are utterly irrelevant and in recent years have come across them less and less. Wires coming out at sometimein their life was a common occurence, although I have never experienced anything like BrandyButter describes.

Mamissimo Sat 27-Apr-19 10:58:17

I think it’s to with supporting the fabric in the cup rather than supporting the tissue. Without the wires the fabric splays slightly to give a more rounded squidgy shape rather than uplift - I have an overabundence of boob and without wires they seem to spread sideways. Guess smaller boobs might not do that!

M0nica Sat 27-Apr-19 14:25:41

That explains it.

BlueBelle Sat 27-Apr-19 14:29:29

Blxxxy uncomfortable

SueDonim Sat 27-Apr-19 14:40:29

I think Massimo is right. Otherwise the fabric would have to be really stiff and that wouldn't look good. Remember those pyramid-pointed bras?! grin

If your bra is properly fitted, you shouldn't be aware of the wires. They should sit against your ribcage and not your boobs. It's worth getting your bra fitted by the experts.

Sussexborn Sat 27-Apr-19 14:56:24

I bought two bras from

www.missmary.co.uk/bra?gclid=CjwKCAjw-4_mBRBuEiwA5xnFIOIW3gmSp44l4B7Ga7Bhplb1Ia1WhtW1y-FY3JqD5b_ZFkm44sy4jhoC34QQAvD_BwE

Bit pricey (for me anyway) but beautiful made and, if you read their instructions carefully, most comfortable I ‘ve ever worn. Still comes off as I walk through the front door though!

1inamillion Sat 27-Apr-19 15:00:00

I wear underwired and find them comfortable. Just make sure you are professionally measured and fitted. M&S offer a free fitting service, though I think you may have to book - worth it though.
They give me firmer support than a non wired bra.

Bagatelle Sat 27-Apr-19 16:48:06

I'm wireless.

M0nica Sat 27-Apr-19 17:13:59

I have never found bras uncomfortable to wear, however they are made. Mainly, I suspect, because my boobs are of modest proportions.

GabriellaG54 Sat 27-Apr-19 20:18:31

I was in M&S again today to collect a parcel and noticed that the had some new style two-way stretch bras in pale marled pink or white. They go up to size 40F priced @£20.
No wires. I tried one on and believe me, they are the last word in comfort and no mono-boob.
Unfortunately they do not do my size 36G/GG because if they had, I would have bought several.
Do try them.
I also bought a beautiful white summer shirt dress/thigh length shirt in white which also comes in mid blue and muted khaki £25 and they have racks and racks of silky pull on trousers which narrow at the ankles and have pockets in the seams. A huge choice of patterns £25.
I chose b/w zebra pattern but also liked the rust/black version.
All new in.

GabriellaG54 Sat 27-Apr-19 20:19:49

Bagatelle
No Ethernet cable? grin

crazyH Sat 27-Apr-19 20:23:26

Don't like them

GrannyGravy13 Sat 27-Apr-19 20:33:00

When my daughter was competing on her horse they were told not to wear bras with wires in, in case of a fall and "stabbing with the wire" could occur

Bagatelle Sat 27-Apr-19 23:13:30

GabriellaG54 Nope. Download is quite fast, upload nonexistent.

GabriellaG54 Sun 28-Apr-19 00:08:01

Bagatelle
Hahaha...I nearly didn't 'get' that. Very very witty. ???

BradfordLass72 Sun 28-Apr-19 07:34:21

What do the wires do?

*They dig into your boobs.
*They poke out the sides and make you feel as if you've just been stabbed in the upper arm.
*They cause total discomfort when you bend, stretch or try to do anything other than stand to attention.
*They nip you when you stand to attention.
*They ping out when you're on the bus and hit the person next to you, doing them a nasty mischief.
*They, very, very occasionally, push your boobs inwards making you look as if you've had silicone implants the size of a honeydew melon.
This results in such elevated busty substances that you feel you're choking.

grin

Grandma2213 Mon 29-Apr-19 02:04:13

I have tried non wired bras but they tend to ride up over my boobs. Wired ones sit against my rib cage and give some support. I'm not that big .. C or D cup depending on make or my weight! Yes once in a while they work their way through the fabric but the bra is usually grey enough to replace by then!

As I posted recently on another thread, the wires that the engineer pulls out of the washing machine are a complete mystery as I never wear bras without them!!

Marmight Mon 29-Apr-19 02:36:42

I wore non wired bras for years, then about 10 years ago decided to try an underwired one - just to see. The difference was amazing and I've never looked back, neither have my boobs. I'd never revert to non wired; I'd rather go braless. I've only once been poked in the midriff by a wire but just shoved it back in and anchored with a couple of stitches.

Humbertbear Mon 29-Apr-19 08:12:16

I’ve worn underwired bras for over 50 years. If you have them properly fitted ( I go to John Lewis as M n S don’t make anything that fits me) they are very comfortable. I wash them by hand and the wires never come out.
A couple of years ago I started wearing nighties with a soft bra inside (Bravissimo)and can only say I wish I had started wearing them years ago. I am so much more comfortable in bed.