Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Where do you get your t shirts and tops from

(61 Posts)
Aglassofroseplease Tue 30-Apr-19 16:31:35

Where do yo u buy your t shirts and blouses from? I used to get mine from Marks and Spencer but I don’t like the colours or the shapes of them this year. I like cotton ones and plain colours, fat covering(!) I’ve checked the websites of landsend, J Lewis’s Boden seasalt, I usually wear t shirts with a pair of cropped cargo type trousers in summer and with jeans or cargo trousers in the rest of the time. I quite like M and Ss linen shirt style blouses. I bought a v neck t shirt from m and s in a slubbed kind of material and it was far too big and baggy round the neck so I’m taking it back tomorrow and I’ll have a look if there’s anything I like. Im trying to think of anywhere else I can look for t shirts and blouses - I fancy a short sleeved plain fronted one.

Callistemon Tue 30-Apr-19 22:29:42

I found the Seasalt ones a bit short in the body last year; Whitestuff ones were longer and quite generous.

I am going shopping for a dress tomorrow, wish me luck, haven't bought one for years and I don't want one with flower pots or seed packets all over like some I have seen on line hmm.

MiniMoon Tue 30-Apr-19 23:07:20

I spent last Saturday looking for a short sleeved plain blouse or tee shirt with a collar. I went into every shop in Harrogate. There were none! I didn't want the offerings in EWM, all very patterned also long sleeves.
Why can't you just walk into a shop and find what you want?
M&S was the place to go to for blouses, sadly, not any more.

Ailsa43 Wed 01-May-19 02:08:55

I buy most of my Plain Tees from Matalan....

giulia Wed 01-May-19 10:38:58

seacliff You're right that Kettlewell are not cheap but they last for years and keep their shape like new. Now that I'm in my seventies I think of buying things in the hope they will "seee me through"! smile

kittylester Wed 01-May-19 10:54:57

The kettlebell sale is good. I have found some styles short though.

MawBroonsback Wed 01-May-19 10:59:16

M&S have some absolutely fabulous linen shirts in the most beautiful colours £27.50 I think.
T430350 Is the product code.

kittylester Wed 01-May-19 11:30:18

Kettlewell- s***ing phone.

notentirelyallhere Wed 01-May-19 14:42:54

If its bog standard but well made t shirts, I get them from Decathlon, the French sports chain. They're online but also have stores in the UK. They have a range of good quality t-shirts, tight and loose fitting, excellent value, wash well. Do double check the sizing though against their chart if you buy online. Would recommend all their clothing and hiking shoes.

fizzers Wed 01-May-19 14:46:10

I generally go 'cheap' Primark, Bon Marche, Peacocks, Sainsburys , Asda, market stalls....

Callistemon Wed 01-May-19 15:46:02

The only dress that looked vaguely appealing was a blue and white one - then I realised that the pattern, which looked quite attractive from a distance, was an all over fish design.

Do I want to look fishy? What is the matter with these designers?

FlexibleFriend Wed 01-May-19 16:09:10

Matalan, Wallis and sometimes jd williams for floaty blouses

1inamillion Wed 01-May-19 16:26:22

White Stuff have some nice striped t shirts, I like V neck. They have some plain short sleeve blouses too.
I have bought several of their three quarter sleeve patterned blouses recently, most don't require ironing - not cheap but you get what you pay for.
M&S quality plummeted when they stopped manufacturing in the UK.

phoenix Wed 01-May-19 16:46:55

I have never, and will never, iron a T shirt!

Charleygirl5 Wed 01-May-19 18:06:46

phoenix I do not iron anything! I bought a new ironing board around 2 years ago, it is still in its packaging.

Aglassofroseplease Wed 01-May-19 18:26:22

Ooh there’s loads of suggestions here ?
I went to M&S to take back some t shirts today and had a good look round what they have, but nothing inspired me.

I do like those linen shirts Mawbroonsback that they have, I’ve got a peachy pink and a royal blue one - trouble is I don’t like ironing them!?

Dillyduck Wed 08-May-19 10:47:29

Lands End, the only place I can get tall women's tops. Their USA parent site sells even more. I'm about to throw out a top I bought from them, wore and wore, that's 15 years old, always goes through a tumble dryer too! My top tip would be to sign up for their emails, as they always have silly offers, sometimes up to 70% off, over 40% off everything. Look at their catalogue or website, put the items you like in your basket, but leave them there until there is an offer. I have an idea that if you don't buy things in your basket immediately you are more likely to get a special offer. Until recently I'd give them 100% but some of the tops I've just received are lighter than their usual fabric. Returns are easy though. I also love their trainers, extra wide available.

David1968 Wed 08-May-19 10:53:49

Cotton Traders are good for plain T shirts. Good value, great range of colours and they offer the choice of a vee-neck or a crew-neck. (I prefer the former; it's cooler and doesn't "chafe" my neck.)

Budgebabe Wed 08-May-19 10:54:18

Good Morning All, can I ask where do you get cotton cargo bottoms from.

Glammy57 Wed 08-May-19 20:14:54

Pure, Mint Velvet or Gerard Darel (expensive but I watch for the sales!

GabriellaG54 Sun 12-May-19 19:44:45

Yesterday, I bought 2 long sleeve scoop neck M&S t-shirts in navy and pale pink, at £9.50 each and with Sparks card 15% off they were a bargain and can be worn year round, given our inclement weather.
I also bought pale pink straight ankle-grazer jeans (£22.99) using my £4 loyalty voucher and received more loyalty points.
M&S have really upped their game as you also get Sparks money off offers on a whole range of products.
I'm hooked.

annep1 Sun 12-May-19 19:59:42

I still find nice tops in Marks. Also Betty Barclay, Next, First Avenue. I used to love Country Casuals and Viyella but our store closed. I have bought Olsen but they don't always wear well and should for the price.

wetflannel Sun 12-May-19 22:41:43

I buy from Next the petite range as I am vertically challenged according to my granddaughters. 5 Foot 1 inches tall,but a bit plump in the mid section. Next do nice tops that are forgiving and flattering to hide lumps and bumps.

Oldfossil Sat 25-May-19 00:51:12

I second Decathlon as a source of inexpensive, well made tee shirts - usually with some polyester, which is actually better for hiking. For pure, beautifully smooth cotton I recommend Uniqlo. Their tees are well cut and wash well. Both these stores are fairly cheap. Poetry is much pricier, but I love their tops, which are often linen or a cotton and hemp mix, stylishly simple and in subtle colours - just ‘effortless elegance’ , or so I kid myself!

Oldfossil Sat 25-May-19 00:54:34

Yes, Kettlewell is expensive, but they last. Yesterday I was delighted to buy two Kettlewell tops for £1 each in a charity shop - as good as new!

Flossieturner Sat 25-May-19 07:42:17

For good prices I go to Bon Marche.