Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

What do YOU wear?

(98 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Mon 10-Jun-19 19:40:27

Do you dare to bare but only in summer?
Do you fake it or go for the milk-bottle look?
Stockings, hold-ups or tights for those 'important' occasions or are you a pop-sock siren?

merlotgran Mon 10-Jun-19 19:44:03

In Greek mythology, the Sirens were dangerous creatures, who lured nearby sailors with their enchanting music and singing voices to shipwreck on the rocky coast of their island.

Wearing pop-socks? grin

GrannyGravy13 Mon 10-Jun-19 19:48:30

Definitely not pop socks.

Always stockings apart from black opaque tights when really cold with above the knee skirt or dress!

Nannylovesshopping Mon 10-Jun-19 19:48:56

Def get the fake tan out for the legs, hides a multitude of sins? also holdups for feeling good and occasions, and always, always matching undies and hint of good perfume on back of neck, right then, ready, where we going??

Alima Mon 10-Jun-19 19:50:53

Gosh, OP sounds rather confrontational!

DoraMarr Mon 10-Jun-19 19:52:47

Well, today I am in jeans and ankle boots, it’s so cold and wet, but on nice summer days I wear midi dresses and go bare legged, but with a sort of tinted moisturiser on them. Never sandals- horrible toes- but ballet flats or pumps.

gillybob Mon 10-Jun-19 19:53:41

I had a very rare night out on Saturday night . I happened to meet some girls I used to go to school with and they looked so glam and trendy . I felt ( and looked) like a clip ! I got drunk and didn’t care too much in the end anyway grin.

gillybob Mon 10-Jun-19 19:54:25

Or even grin

Lisagran Mon 10-Jun-19 19:59:10

What about you, Gabriella? Do you dare to bare? / Do you fake it? / Are you a pop sock siren?

Urmstongran Mon 10-Jun-19 19:59:12

I bare it.

But I’m lucky as my legs & feet go very brown in summer and that lasts me all through winter.

Mrs Perma tan.
?

Yet my friend who comes out here as often as I do gets a tan but never her legs for some strange reason (annoying to her). She just applies tan wipes.

Job done.

Callistemon Mon 10-Jun-19 20:00:15

gillybob grin
ps what's a clip - apart from one of those things you put in your hair?

This thread has reminded me that I should get 'summer-ready' ie leg wax, moisturising tanning lotion (not too much) and painted toe nails. grin

I dislike tights unless I really have to wear them.

FlexibleFriend Mon 10-Jun-19 20:02:44

I tan easily first sight of sun and my skin darkens, never wear skirts or dresses and tights etc would be plain weird with shorts so bare legs it is. No matter how special the occasion I can always find suitable trousers.

gillybob Mon 10-Jun-19 20:25:44

I think maybe looking like “a clip” is just a silly Geordie saying for looking a right mess / out of place Callistemon . Not sure where it came from ? Anyway I felt like one on Saturday night . grin

tanith Mon 10-Jun-19 20:35:34

I tan really easily too so no problem going bare legged all through Summer. I never wear tights ever but I live in sandals and flip flops and shorts all Summer.

M0nica Mon 10-Jun-19 20:42:34

Well I feel the cold. I have Reynauds syndrome in my hands and my feet get very cold, so it is tights for me nearly all year, plus fluffy socks indoors, even on days like today.

I went to Waitrose today. By the time I had walked up and down the aisles with all the fridges 3 fingers on both hands were yellow and numb and I had to sit in the car with the engine running and the heater on full for 10 minutes before enough feeling returned to them for me to be able to safely operate the controls

I keep my legs shaved and moisterised all year and as I tan easily do not bother with fake tan, far too fiddly for me.

Septimia Mon 10-Jun-19 21:05:10

Never tights - they either 'cut my throat' or slip down and hobble me. Pop-socks with long skirts which hide the fact that they are socks, otherwise sexy hold-ups. Long or longish skirts in summer to hide the white legs if I haven't got round to the fake tan.

Jane10 Mon 10-Jun-19 21:21:56

No skirts. No problem. Trousers all the way for me.

Tangerine Mon 10-Jun-19 21:43:03

I dare to bare as my skin is quite dark.

M0nica Mon 10-Jun-19 21:45:51

I wear tights under trousers. I rarely wear skirts.

Callistemon Mon 10-Jun-19 22:12:03

What I posted earlier didn't make any sense!

I dislike tights and would only wear them if I really had to if the occasion required a dress or skirt.

GabriellaG54 Mon 10-Jun-19 22:17:20

GrannyGravy13
Wow!
Stockings...ooh la la shockblush
Er...seams?
Patterns behind the ankle?
I remember my Auntie Thel telling about the time she used gravy browning on her legs when out to dinner with her DH and his CO and wife in the officers mess in Laos.
Their dachshund had a lovely time under the table, licking her legs into brown and white streaks.

Doodle Mon 10-Jun-19 22:18:46

Trousers and socks...say no more ?

EllanVannin Mon 10-Jun-19 22:23:48

Thick black tights in this disgusting weather. Jumper and trousers. My circulation is rubbish.

Anything above 25 degrees, no leg coverings, just a light spray tan. Much lighter clothing.

Grammaretto Mon 10-Jun-19 22:26:28

I live in Scotland. hmm summer?
I'm just back from Denmark. How is it they are all blonde but tanned?

GabriellaG54 Mon 10-Jun-19 22:30:44

No. I'm a whitey so can't be too heavy with the fake bake otherwise my face would not match.
I leave 'em as they are but shaved and moisturised. Maybe some Riemann's P20 spray or similar which gives a slight glow.
Stockings or tan tights never, only hold-ups when it's 'showtime' wink
Seriously, only for 'occasions' when it would be expected, dinners and more formal winter dos.
I do wear thick tights in winter with dresses and socks with jeans ditto.