Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Bags..large / small?

(34 Posts)
Dee1012 Tue 11-Jun-19 12:11:34

What's your bag of choice?

For work and life purposes, I've always needed and preferred a large tote type bag, even my purse is rather large!
However lately it's all become a bit heavy.

I loathe the grab bag type and am not keen on those stuck on the crook of the elbow either so thinking about crossbody bags.
Any recommendations etc

jura2 Tue 11-Jun-19 12:22:03

Given up handbags since I had knee replacements. Especially large, heavy ones. I have a small leather rucksack, with a top handle so I can carry it if I don't want it on my back. With one leg quite shorter than the other since a car accident many moons ago- I need to be balanced at all times. Physio and Ortho surgeon always wonder why I do not have massive back problems- and perhaps it is part of the answer (being very active and swimming, the other)

crazyH Tue 11-Jun-19 12:25:01

I used to love my large Tote bags. I have a few of them. But. as you say, our shoulders are not what they used to be. So now, my constant companion is a lovely black Clarks leather bag (which can either be cross over or shoulder). It holds more than I thought it would. No large purse for me....I place my notes and credit cards in one of the internal zipped pockets in the said black bag and a small change purse. In another pocket I carry my Ventolin healer, a small mirror and lipstick. Sorted.

ninathenana Tue 11-Jun-19 12:37:44

Cross body medium size when shopping, especially in the supermarket easier than having to keep an eye on my bag all the time. I like one with an outside pockets for my phone and other bits I need to hand.
If I need a larger bag it has to be able to be carried on my shoulder. I have a couple of clutch bags for evening.

JackyB Tue 11-Jun-19 12:49:36

I usually don't bother with a bag except when travelling. When my kids finally came out of nappies I joyfully downsized to a tiny handbag, got a smaller purse and as son as they came out got myself a credit card sized driving licence., and miniature versions of anything I could find.

So much of the stuff in my handbag never got used, so I have regular clear outs. Over the past 30 years however, I have occasionally gone back to a bigger bag, not so much to go with the fashion but just as the whim took me.

glammanana Tue 11-Jun-19 13:07:33

I usually have a cross body medium sized bag which gives me easy access to my purse and other stuff I may need on a daily basis.
I also have 3 x leather larger bags which I alternate every couple of weeks I have an internal organiser which I just swap over when I change bags so I don't forget anything important.My favourite bag is a black leather bucket bag which I bought with my first wages in the 60s its still going strong.

Nonnie Tue 11-Jun-19 13:54:36

Every type of bag going and a small thingy with compartments to keep inside large bags. Sorry, not a lot of help but I do love bags and shoes.

vena11 Tue 11-Jun-19 14:00:56

Small crossover bags for me , other bags to heavy and hurt my back and shoulder, I have cut down on a lot of things I use to carry for the simple reason is I found I don't really need them ,now even have a smaller purse .

kittylester Tue 11-Jun-19 14:43:21

My current bag is a large tote which I like because I can put accidental buys in it! blush It also has a fold up bag inside for larger accidental buys. My last bag was a crossbody which I found a bit small.

Alima Tue 11-Jun-19 14:46:44

At least Kipling bags of whatever size are weightless before all the crap goes in. So many bags weigh a ton even when empty.

Buffybee Tue 11-Jun-19 14:49:48

I have never liked a large bag, I find that if I have the room, I will fill it with "things" that I could do without, so most of mine are small cross over bags or small shoulder strap bags.

Buffybee Tue 11-Jun-19 14:50:54

Cross body, of course not cross over! ?

FlexibleFriend Wed 12-Jun-19 12:15:12

Masses of small cross body bags on Amazon from small enough for just a phone to one to carry a laptop and notes and phone etc etc

kittylester Wed 12-Jun-19 15:04:16

Does no one else find that heavy cross body bags cut into their neck?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 12-Jun-19 15:13:33

Kittylester, yes I find some cross body bags hurt my neck in the summer, ok in the winter as wearing more layers.

I have all styles, sizes, colours of bags as you can always find a bag that "fits you"!!!!

Bags and boots are my downfall, have far too many, but always on the look out for something different (Mr.Gravy has given up asking why "I need" anymore, he is very understanding!!)

grandtanteJE65 Fri 21-Jun-19 11:55:53

I use a small backpack and keep my purse in my inside pocket on ordinary days.

If we are going out I use a large handbag, as I can't walk far in high heels and I'm too vain to give them up entirely.

Anyone know how to get rid of bags under the eyes? Mine are larger than I like.

Pervilither Sun 28-Jul-19 06:43:01

I usually use large bags to go to work because I have a lot of gadgets and I have to use more of these bags. But going to a party, friendly appointment, theater or movie theater, and going to the beach, I do not need large bags and I use more than a small carrying case or leather backpack like this Zip-detail texture backpack from Mango.

RosieLeah Sun 28-Jul-19 06:53:34

Kipling bags are a good choice. They are lightweight and most have lots of pockets. There is a rather silly little gorilla attached to each one but they are easily removed. However, they can be a talking point. I have had complete strangers come up and ask 'what is the name of your monkey?'

Sara65 Sun 28-Jul-19 07:31:35

I always have large bags, god knows why, because I can never find anything in them, and they hurt my shoulder, if we’re out for any length of time, I always get my husband to carry it!
Anyway I had a painful arm a couple of weeks ago, and bought a temporary tiny little bag, just holds purse, phone, and glasses, and I love it, not going back

PamelaJ1 Sun 28-Jul-19 07:39:06

I prefer a very small bag. I have a few Tula ones. Just enough room for credit cards etc., a bit of cash, tissues and a phone. They can be attached to a belt or over-body.

My mum always complained that she ended up carrying things for others so she only has a small one now.

I do have a very light foldable bag in its own bag that I clip to my little one if I think I may buy something.

TwiceAsNice Sun 28-Jul-19 07:51:51

I have a medium sized Cath Kidston tote which I use on the two days I still work. It has an interior “slot in” cloth section so I can find things easily.

Other days I have two cross over body bags one slightly bigger than the other which I find great because I have my hands free especially when shopping and feel it’s harder for anyone to steal from.

I do have a large , also Cath Kidston bag which I use for the journey going on holiday as it can be carried shoulder or cross body and holds quite a lot

grandma60 Sun 28-Jul-19 08:00:52

RosieLeah I usually take the Kipling monkey off as well, but did you know that the monkey's name is actually the name of the person that made it?

cornergran Sun 28-Jul-19 08:04:29

Mostly small bags for me. Not often leather now as I find them heavy even when empty. I have gathered a range over the years, plain and patterned, subdued and bright. They are swapped about, often daily. My preference is cross body types, making sure weight is limited so they feel comfortable. Larger bags come out when needed for a specific purpose. Why not try a cross body dee and see how you get on with it.

Lilypops Sun 28-Jul-19 08:09:39

Tricia Cusden of Look Fabulous Forever, wrote on one of her blogs that handbags, totes , are ageing and thinks cross body bags are more "youthful" as well as being better for preventing bad backs and shoulders,
I like cross body bags but they don't hold much , OK for a night out but for everyday shopping, taking Grandchildren our with all the stuff they need just doesn't work,

etheltbags1 Sun 28-Jul-19 08:10:40

I have a small cross body bag which just holds purse and keys otherwise i use a larger tote style bag but this gets heavy if i put shopping in it. Mostly i use pockets.