Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Autumn/Winter styling.

(89 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Thu 29-Aug-19 13:54:27

Having received the latest Poetry catalogue today and spent a goodly amount of time ticking all the items I like...?? see that Italian wool and a Japanese wool and linen mixwe feature heavily, as does boiled wool and corduroy.
I aim to leave it for OH to see. He should be pleased that Primark doesn't do catalogues. ??
Yes...I'm a shopaholic. I really must put unwanted items on eBay but it's such a bind to describe and photograph items from all angles.
Still, I'll have no room in the wardrobes for any more clobber if I don't get rid of some tgat I no longer wear.
I am loving the colours, thick creams, natural, taupe deep blues and fern green.
I note that Poetry does PayPal which is useful. 4 months before you have to pay anything and my limit is £5k. Oh joy! ?

GabriellaG54 Thu 29-Aug-19 13:56:20

mixwe mix tgat that hmmblush

GabriellaG54 Thu 29-Aug-19 14:00:43

Just a few...??

gillybob Thu 29-Aug-19 14:11:57

I had never heard of Poetry so just popped over to have a peep. Some nice things but blimey the prices are STEEP. Way out of my league Gabriella . At over £150 each those velvet tops are lovely but I would expect an entire outfit including shoes for that. grin

M0nica Thu 29-Aug-19 15:22:27

Without a doubt beautiful clothes, but the colours are too muted for me and I do not wear blue. They are very much city clothes, not quite right for country dwellers.

Mind you, Gabriella they are exactly match my impression of you as an elegant, impeccably turned out lady-about-town.

grannysyb Thu 29-Aug-19 16:41:05

Just been to Walthamstow and bought some wool for a pair of trousers,cost £7.50 and a zip for 20p! The shops there had lots of lovely velvet for a tenner a metre.

GabriellaG54 Thu 29-Aug-19 17:03:07

M0nica M0nica M0nica.
Impeccably turned out lady-about-town?...???
Ok...be serious ??
Just who were you talking about because it ain't me.

I'm hoping OH will fork out for some of the items as a very early C*** or birthday present. I can't see him refusing as he's very clothes conscious.
I'll buy the rest for myself as I'm worth it. ??

GabriellaG54 Thu 29-Aug-19 17:05:40

That's why Primark and H&M appeal to my parsimonious side. Lots of clothes for little dosh.

gillybob Thu 29-Aug-19 17:06:22

You are indeed Gabriella

In fact, priceless I would say. grin

M0nica Thu 29-Aug-19 20:41:49

Well, if the clothes sold by Poetry are your taste in clothes then what other conclusion can I reach? They are very nice, very elegant tasteful clothes clearly for town dwellers. They look well made.

I am not suggesting we country dwellers do not dress well, but we dress differently.

Lessismore Thu 29-Aug-19 20:46:45

I'm hoping OH will fork out for some of the items

Why?

Glammy57 Thu 29-Aug-19 21:07:02

I, too, like Poetry Clothing.

Go you, G.G and enjoy! ??

M0nica Thu 29-Aug-19 21:57:48

Lessismore Why not? Don't you like giving presents?

Marydoll Thu 29-Aug-19 23:07:09

I have never heard of Poetry Fashion, so I had a look.
I really do like the clothes, but a wee bit too expensive for my purse.☹️
Do they ever have sales?

GabriellaG54 Fri 30-Aug-19 01:09:59

Lessismore
The plain answer is so that I can keep more of my own money.
The more convoluted answer is that about a fortnight after we actually met in person, we had lunch then drove up to London where we browsed a few shops and he insisted on buying me shoes and a dress.
I hate being corralled into buying clothes that other people think I should like, so it was eventually arranged that he'd pay for whatever clothes I chose but I limited this to 2 or 3 times a year, not a monthly arrangement as he preferred.
That's why I spend my money on clothes I like and let him pay for clothes I know he'll think are classier than leggings, skinny jeans and items from shops that proliferate on the High Street.
I happen to like the clothes from Poetry too as they are plain.
I'm not a fan of nor do I suit, patterns frills or bright colours except in accessories.
He certainly has no say in my choices but I have occasionally refined my tastes to accommodate the functions we go to as a couple. ?

GabriellaG54 Fri 30-Aug-19 01:16:23

Yes Marydoll they have one running at the moment.
I think buying one nice piece every few months or when you've saved up, is a great boost. If it was routine to splurge hundreds every month, the
pleasure would, IMV, be lost.

annep1 Fri 30-Aug-19 06:57:47

Sounds interesting. I must have a look. I sometimes request catalogues that I know I can't afford to buy from just to enjoy looking.
I love that you don't feel guilty about buying too much.

OH buys me clothes sometimes. Why not?

Marydoll Fri 30-Aug-19 07:01:59

Gabriella, being a wee, dumpy, plump lady, (I have turned into my mother), I prefer plain clothes and accessorise them.
I can't resist a scarves and jewellery. (They hide a multitude of sins! )
I'm being drawn to Marla Wynne, but unsure if the cut would only serve to make me look even plumper. sad

My other consideration is cost, as I'm no longer able to work and I miss my decent salary. I get a buzz out of finding a good bargain.
Enjoy, your new clothes. I believe velvet is very on trend for this coming season!

annep1 Fri 30-Aug-19 07:17:28

Some nice pieces.
I like the herringbone (£500!) and boiled wool coats although I don't wear wool- too uncomfortable.
Hemp and cotton tops looked good. I haven't ever bought hemp (I think).

Marydoll Fri 30-Aug-19 07:26:31

Are there similar sites to P0etry out there?

loopyloo Fri 30-Aug-19 07:48:27

Grannymodh, was that High Street, Walthamstow. Is there still a market? Sounds like a great price for wool.

Glammy57 Fri 30-Aug-19 08:01:21

Wrap Clothing is similar, Marydoll.

annep1 Fri 30-Aug-19 12:47:19

Can't remember names Marydoll. Will have a think!

Willow500 Fri 30-Aug-19 13:04:41

Not heard of Poetry either so had a look - rather expensive for me - I get fed up of stuff too quickly to pay much for anything.

Marydoll Fri 30-Aug-19 17:43:38

OH no! I love the Wrap clothes too!