Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Beauty tips

(32 Posts)
TheMidget Sun 08-Sep-19 11:45:09

Is anybody else fed up with so called “beauty tips”? I’m 64 now and have eventually realised ( probably always did) that you have the skin you were given genetically. I’ve done everything over the years to look after my skin, and still have a face full of wrinkles! Don’t waste your money on all these products!!

GabriellaG54 Sat 14-Sep-19 21:44:31

I agree. The holy grail of youth is not to be found on any beauty counter.

CanadianGran Sat 14-Sep-19 22:30:44

What! Are you saying my Revitalift won't lift? I'm depending on it!!!
grin

MawB Sat 14-Sep-19 22:48:18

Hear, hear!

mary022 Wed 09-Oct-19 06:18:39

Any beauty product you put on your face still looks like it will fade.

Sara65 Wed 09-Oct-19 07:53:28

I know all these things, but just on the off chance that they may work, I have to keep on trying.

KatyK Wed 09-Oct-19 09:24:53

We are being conned with most of these. Take the Helen Mirren face creams. She has perfect, smooth skin in the ads. She was interviewed recently on TV and she is very wrinkled. Yes I know that we all know it's happening but it's annoying.

BlueSapphire Wed 09-Oct-19 09:35:10

The only expensive (to me) cream I ever used made by skin burn and turned it bright red! It cost £24 and promised the earth, not for me.

I used Nivea and Astral for years, and Boots basic face cream. I now use anything in Avon's cheap range - about £5 a jar which I have used without problem for years. I can never see anything different whatever I use.

Teetime Wed 09-Oct-19 09:46:07

I think if you enjoy using products and can afford them well that's Ok isn't it? If you don't then don't. I still think the best beauty advice is get plenty of sleep , eat fruit and vegetables drink water. I would also add eat chocolate and drink wine but that's just what puts a smile on my face. smile

Sara65 Wed 09-Oct-19 11:03:58

I’m not saying they work, I doubt that they do, but I always feel better for using them, and I love the smell!

Daisymae Wed 09-Oct-19 11:27:25

I think by the time you reach a certain age it's a question of making the most of what you have. Years ago I read that the best thing you can do for your skin is to stay out of the sun. That seems to be sound advice for lots of reasons! I do use a good serum and my moisturizer has sunscreen, usually no.7. can't expect miracles though.

Whingingmom Sun 13-Oct-19 09:37:04

I agree - they are selling a dream not a product which works.
If the lotions, potions and creams worked there would be no need for cosmetic surgery/facelifts!

annsixty Sun 13-Oct-19 09:47:00

I was out shopping with a friend recently and we popped into Boots, she needed new day cream. As it was 3for2 she bought her usual brand of day ,night and serum. She paid £54 as 1 was free. I was very shocked.
I am currently using Aldi, the serum is £2:99 and the others about £5.
At nearly five years younger than me I don't think her skin reflects it.
We age whatever we do.

domi001 Mon 14-Oct-19 14:17:43

The best beauty tips are not so anxious, happiness is the best medicine ever. It will give you a refreshing look on your face. The beauty product is just a maintenance.

BettyAKimzey Sun 03-Nov-19 04:39:39

Some of the beauty products may cause skin rashes, Instead of going with that you try with natural products that can available in the market. It has a lot of usefulness and gives more glow on your face.

rishabhb398 Thu 14-Nov-19 07:10:08

Hey Members,

Drinking plenty of water is the best way to have beautiful skin and health.

Switch to Natural and Green Beauty and Makeup Products!

Eat Healthy!

Stay Calm and Be Happy smile

M0nica Thu 14-Nov-19 08:05:00

All you can do is protect the skin you have. I am a great believer in moisterising, any moisteriser. it doesn't have to be expensive. More than that is just money down the drain.

More important, is to accept that as we get older we look older and that applies whether you are looking at a baby or a 90 year old and just accept it. There is nothing you can do about it anyway.

Winniewit Mon 13-Jan-20 17:59:45

I like to think that the ritual of cleansing toning and moisturising makes me feel like I'm doing something positive towards wrinkles. My problem is eyebrows. Iv so many grey hairs in them that one looks like it's almost disappeared

shavindhi Tue 16-Feb-21 11:52:00

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

shavindhi Tue 16-Feb-21 11:52:10

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

shavindhi Tue 16-Feb-21 11:52:21

ImStillGood Wed 17-Feb-21 05:18:40

Depends on what do we call 'beauty tips', but I still have my routine of cleansing and moisturising, I just feel better when I do that

overthehill Thu 18-Feb-21 19:17:44

I have the same problem with hair products. My hair is thin and would love it to be thicker. Each shampoo/serum promises hair growth. Lost count of the number of products I've bought and the money I've spent on a promise, which never materialised

mokryna Fri 19-Feb-21 19:14:16

I use boots x7 serum every second day and I do notice a difference if I don’t use it after a few days. My skin has a greyer tint and the pores seem larger

Thistlelass Sat 06-Mar-21 00:05:56

I don't bother with skincare really. DIL does Avon so I have bought from her but the products just sit around. Fortunately I am blessed at 63 with a face and neck wrinkle free apart from my smile lines. That is fine for me.