Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Slits - or “does my bum look big in this?”

(52 Posts)
MawB Tue 12-Nov-19 12:35:21

Putting on a snuggly cowl neck tunic length jumper today made me think - nay, wish - that designers and manufacturers would think of slits at hip level. These help a top, whether T shirt, jumper or jacket to continue past the hips or bottom in a straight A line instead of curving round the aforementioned fundament. It’s all very well covering the posterior but oh how much better for a top to skim straight past it.
Anybody agree with me? What modifications would you like to see designers implement?

jura2 Tue 12-Nov-19 12:38:23

Agreed, and I always choose longer tops with slits at the side.

SueDonim Tue 12-Nov-19 13:17:07

They are flattering, I agree. I need some warmer jumpers/tunics. Where to buy?? confused

Gonegirl Tue 12-Nov-19 13:32:23

I agree.

I bought one of these as a Christmas present for DD yesterday. It has slits and should be warm.

I got it in grey.

dragonfly46 Tue 12-Nov-19 13:35:26

I don't have that problem as my bottom is flat and the rest of me is straight up and down.

threexnanny Tue 12-Nov-19 14:10:35

I tend to choose long line cardigans worn loose with a matching top beneath which lessens the problem but agree that slits are a good idea.

Chestnut Tue 12-Nov-19 14:21:13

I agree threexnanny and always prefer long line cardigans. I like wearing a top underneath and if chilly you can add a lightweight scarf. I tend to think there are generally a lot of short jumpers, cardigans and tops which sit on the hips, and not enough longer ones around.

Teetime Tue 12-Nov-19 14:33:41

Absolutely they would hang much better.

kittylester Tue 12-Nov-19 14:36:56

I agree maw!!! But then you've seen my bum!! And it does look big in most things - because it is big!!!

Missfoodlove Tue 12-Nov-19 16:15:56

I hate capped sleeves they never flatter.

Lilypops Tue 12-Nov-19 16:19:00

I bought a cowl neck"jumper" from M&S got it home and it was tunic length , no slits so my bum did look big , why do they advertise it as a jumper when it could have doubled up as a dress, I sent it back today .

Lilypops Tue 12-Nov-19 16:20:31

Gone girl am intrigued, what did you buy that was grey and where did you buy it from , .?

Callistemon Tue 12-Nov-19 16:40:09

Lilypops if you can see blue print in Gonegirlgirl's post then click on it and lo and behold, the link should open!

Grey does nothing for me
The other colour would suit me but I can't wear low V necks
sad

lemongrove Tue 12-Nov-19 16:46:36

Grey suits me ( fair skin, blonde hair) particularly silvery grey.
You are absolutely right Maw slits in tunics/ jumpers are such a good idea they should incorporate them into more clothes.Email M&S and Debenhams and other places? If we all did this it may happen.

Callistemon Tue 12-Nov-19 16:56:16

I've looked at some of my jumpers to see if I can slit the sides and sew them carefully but haven't been brave enough to try it yet.

I have one from Whitestuff that has side slits but, sadly, my bum still looks big in it.

Gonegirl Tue 12-Nov-19 16:57:30

Blue links don't always show up do they? Thanks Callistemon. It was the grey jumper from Marks and Sparks Lilypops.

Gonegirl Tue 12-Nov-19 16:58:30

I thought about doing that Callistemon, but I don't think I'd dare. ?

Jane10 Tue 12-Nov-19 17:06:41

I like it gonegirl but wish it was a bit longer.

Callistemon Tue 12-Nov-19 17:12:44

I'm wearing one today that has a kind of Fairisle band around the bottom which really needs splitting but I'm too nervous

Gonegirl Tue 12-Nov-19 17:16:49

Yes. They didn't have the correct size in store so I have had to order it online. Daughter is not tall though so it should be ok.

Gonegirl Tue 12-Nov-19 17:24:07

When my older DD started school years ago I knitted her a jumper in the school colour. She came out the first day and said the others all had cardigans. I turned it into a zip up by machine stitching two lines close together down the front, cut down between them, and then bound each edge with ribbon before inserting the zip. That was the only way I could think of to cut into knitting without it unravelling. It worked beautifully.

Couldn't really do that with jumpers though.

Callistemon Tue 12-Nov-19 17:31:26

I'll read that a few times before I have a go grin

Lilypops Tue 12-Nov-19 17:38:01

Callistemon , Thankyou , I clicked on the blue print and it appeared, I learn something every day, !! Gone girl that's looks very nice and cosy ,

Gonegirl Tue 12-Nov-19 17:39:45

smile

Gonegirl Tue 12-Nov-19 17:40:33

Callistemon don't bother. It was a devil of a job. grin